June 18th, 2014
3 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. buddyedgewood

Hey Rick, just in case your handlers haven't told you, wearing glasses might make you look smarter, but they don't actually make you smarter.

June 18, 2014 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. dondondon12

mr Perry is absolutely correct

June 18, 2014 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  3. Gino

Governor Perry of Texas is the punchline for so many political jokes that have "stupid" in the middle that it's ridiculous. But then, he's the governor of Texas, which isn't a bad state considering the state that it's in.

June 18, 2014 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. sbeerzy

this guy just isnt very smart.

June 18, 2014 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. okiejoe

Well, Mr Perry, that's a very 1950s Republican answer: you can be anything as long as you don't ever act on it. It's like we used to hear from those people back then, until you are married properly you must be a virgin. No fooling around. But now, we have discovered that individuals have rights, that government can't keep you from owning a thousand guns, forcing school kids to read the Bible, being homosexual... oh, maybe not that last one.

June 18, 2014 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. rl

Run, run Rick for President. You will make a fool of yourself as you did last time.

June 18, 2014 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. beancounterz

I guess Rick speaks from personal experience....as a gay alcoholic.

June 18, 2014 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. JohnBudge

The gift that keeps on giving...ooops

June 18, 2014 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. sonnie3

I think Perry is on the right track. Both are a controllable situation, but some just fall through the cracks.

June 18, 2014 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. daryl davis

So tired of these Bully gays. this battle will be ageless! one thang though we have the power of the "BIBLE"! try reading it! damn and i voted for obama. i cant believe he's forcing this on us!

June 18, 2014 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. Mac

He showed his true colors once again.

June 18, 2014 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  12. LouAZ

Ah . . . the Sharon Angle explanation !

June 18, 2014 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. JiminPA

You know i laid awake last night trying to figure out what possessed the least intelligence? : A Turnip , Sarah Palin, or Rick Perry and you know what? I think its a dead heat!

June 18, 2014 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. CronoT

I see Governor Perry still hasn't learned when to keep hid mouth shut. Jon Stewart's writers must be dancing on the halls over how they're going to write up this one for him.

June 18, 2014 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  15. tom l

I am very confident that we will get the proverbial "nom nom nom" from Sniffit. Oh wait, I'm off. THIS is a "real" story, right, big guy? The bad stuff about a dem is just "faux lite" or some other gibberish like that. Make sure you throw in a "Rosetta Stone" (which I actually used to find funny until you made them 100% racially tinged) or a Teatrolls and then throw that back at the face at anyone who challenges your infinite wisdom. If all else fails, then go to Plan C in the playbook and throw out some completely irrelevant point to deflect from the constant drumbeat of "dems good! repubs bad!"

June 18, 2014 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Why is it the gay community gets upset if someone does not agree with their lifestyle.They are the ones who get angry if they are critized for something we all know is wrong! They are completed out of hand!

June 18, 2014 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  17. Chris

If you were born heterosexual, you have the genetic coding to be straight. But if you want to control those urges, you can. It's possible to suppress those desires and never act on them. But why would you? Same goes for gays, genius.

June 18, 2014 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  18. Gino

Perry is a four-letter word.

June 18, 2014 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  19. fedupwithla

Can the governor say what he wants without insulting too many people? Get a grip, Rick Perry haters out there . . .

June 18, 2014 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. jsketcham

Ask gov Rick if Christianity can be cured.

June 18, 2014 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Nikki

Bash me, dont bash me. I AGREE... YOU have my vote in 2016.

June 18, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. PeriSoft

This strikes me as a case where, "Uhhhh....." followed by an uncomfortable pause would have been a significant improvement.

June 18, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. jsketcham

Ask Gov Rick if Christianity can be cured too.

June 18, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. jake

Homosexuality is not a disease, ignorance is.

June 18, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  25. kuewa

The Governor seems to speak from personal experience. I wonder how long his re-programming took?

June 18, 2014 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |