June 18th, 2014
4 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Anonymous

it's not genetic, it's a sin... and it's a choice

the sure cure for homosexuality is repentance

"though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow"

June 18, 2014 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. rs1201

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Perry said. Homosexuality is dictated by genes...not by your environment...not by your mother...and not by your father. The propensity to be an alcoholic is also dictated by some genetic code. He didn't equate homosexuality to alcoholism at all. He just pointed out that both of them are determined by the presence of some particular gene sequence. I don't know why there's a problem.
    Is it because of Stephanie Cutter's abominable ignorance that this has become an issue? her ignorance astounds me a bit more each time I read something about her....give it up lady....

June 18, 2014 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  3. Pat in IL

Ignoring science is dangerous. In this case, he needs to learn more about extra chromosomes, etc., before he opens his ignorant mouth again. Btw, I'm not an activist, but am a heterosexual 60+ woman who lives in this century. Perry lives in some previous century.

June 18, 2014 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. Tom Hartman

Good for him!

June 18, 2014 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  5. TonyInNYC

So what he's saying is he may have the genetic coding that he's inclined to be a homosexual, but he has the desire not to do that – and he looks at the alcoholic issue the same way.

June 18, 2014 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. nobikiniatoll

Let the clown-show begin. Again.

June 18, 2014 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  7. Dave in Jax, FL

I hope people can accept this as a compelling argument that is based in science. I also want to go on record that I do not believe that homosexuality is a choice. It’s something you are born with. I also do not hate homosexuals and I have several friend who are. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but I love them all the same.

I’m going to start this at the root of all life. No, not the Bible. Evolution. What is the base purpose of having two genders? Procreation, plain and simple. Male and female genders are meant (and genetically built) to have sex and make babies. Last I checked, without the aid of some outside source, homosexual couples are not able to do this. So, homosexuality really serves no purpose (and please note that I did not say that people who are homosexuals serve no purpose). Through evolution we know that traits that serve no purpose are discarded. It’s why humans don’t have fur or tails or long arms that drag on the ground. So, if left to their own devices and lacking the ability to reproduce on their own, the homosexuality trait should have been bred out of existence a long time ago. But it wasn’t. So why does it still exist?

It’s a difficult thing to say, but I don’t think it’s a far stretch to call it a mutation, a disease or some sort of mental disorder. Science has shown that parts of the homosexual brain form differently than a heterosexual brain. Why is that a problem you might ask? It’s true that homosexuals are capable of living a full lifespan no differently than a heterosexual. Except that again, the act of homosexuality goes against evolution. In the face of scientific evidence and evolution, I think it’s difficult not to argue that something is genetically wrong with homosexuals.

So why is it that there is such a reluctance it address the issue? We should be researching homosexuality as a disorder and finding out exactly why it occurs and what we can do to correct it. Again, I hope all are keeping an open mind about this and consider it as a logical train of thought based in science.

June 18, 2014 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Werner Gessner

Never read such nonsense

June 18, 2014 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  9. frank thomas

as a proud gay man, I knew I was a homo when I was 5 years old, and have been ever since, Mr. Perry,s position is unfortunately , a result of low I.Q. genes, and nothing can be done to change what he was born with. How unfortunate that Perry has to play to ignorance of undereducated people,, no we do not have an agends or need reparative therapy, perhaps this so-called therapy should be tried on Perry to convert him from a hetro to a homo, good luck,we know it wont work and we don,t need a person like him, thank you very much.

June 18, 2014 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  10. johnny Doughboy

Perry has some good points–but his political career is probably over at least in the White House Race.

June 18, 2014 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Mike

Unfortunately Ricky Perry continues to choose to remain uninformed.
    As he said, he's held the same opinion, has already spoken to the topic and has nothing to add.
    This the best reason not to consider him for presidential material.
    The next best one is his analogy is flawed.
    In trying to compare an alcoholic genetic marker for sexual orientation is comparing apples and oranges.
    Alcoholism was originally considered a moral weakness, then a mental disorder.
    Now it is considered a medical condition with underlying mental health issues.
    Medical understanding about alcoholism has evolved over 20-30 years.
    The same is true for medical understanding of homosexual orientation.
    Ricky Perry has chosen to accept the new view of alcoholism yet, reject out of hand that of homosexual orientation.
    Speaks volumes to me.
    It also leads me to wonder what other information in the 21st C he chooses to selectively ignore.
    That would be a formula for disaster should he become president.

June 18, 2014 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  12. marc

If he's that worried about the economy, he and his Repub friends should stop condemning every group that does not conform to their ideal of how people should live.

June 18, 2014 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. Pete Rose

The guy is a complete hick and a disgrace; hope the Republicans nominate him if he runs

June 18, 2014 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  14. Dan

Doesnt Gov Perry know he is not allowed to have any belief system that is not allowed by the so called "tolertant" liberal left? God forbid that he actually stand by his convictions and not be attacked by the media and the homosexual witch hunters.

June 18, 2014 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  15. Charles Wren

What an idiot. Typical texan.

June 18, 2014 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  16. kenman14

Oh NO! More homosexual sensitivities offended! Could NOT care less!

June 18, 2014 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  17. Bill Hale

Whether or not Rick Perry thinks homosexuality is similar to alcoholism is irrelevant. He's a politician, not a geneticist. What I find alarming is that he feels that gay rights is an issue best decided on a state rather than federal level. Lets suppose that instead of federal legislation on civil rights we instead decided to address the issue state to state?

June 18, 2014 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  18. michael

Clearly, he, like the rest of the Republican Party are ignorant across many, many issues.

June 18, 2014 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  19. JTA

Gov. Rick Perry makes me 'choose' to be an alcoholic!

June 18, 2014 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. Texan

Rick "Slick Rick" Perry,

Do you think wearing glasses will make you appear to be smart??? It's not working.

June 18, 2014 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. ja

And a people elected him as governor, America dumbed down, top down

June 18, 2014 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  22. jay

What he said was so not necessary..

June 18, 2014 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  23. TKO

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way,"

I? Interesting choice of phrasing, Governor.

June 18, 2014 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  24. Barbara

This is one idiot. It's frightening that he has any position of power

June 18, 2014 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. dywlf

That's why Rick Perry is so popular, one public figure who's not afraid of the homosexuals.

June 18, 2014 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |