June 18th, 2014
1 month ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. TKO

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way,"

I? Interesting choice of phrasing, Governor.

June 18, 2014 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Frank

another one bites the dust.

June 18, 2014 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. Michael Golden

Box of rocks.

June 18, 2014 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. sisterchef

Alcoholism is a disease. Being gay is like having blue eyes. Being Rick Perry is like...well, there really isn't anything like that, thank goodness.

June 18, 2014 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. conoclast

Give ol' Rick a bit of credit: that's certainly not the worst take on homosexuality we've heard from the right. There's actual wiggle room there; he'll surely catch hell from his fellow "patriots" for it!

You rock, Rick! Just quit fooling yourself about the presidency, OK?

June 18, 2014 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  6. sftommy

of course he does, how else could explain those "alleged"" photos?

June 18, 2014 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  7. really

hey Perry take another run for president I lust love it when big financial bakers throw away good money on bull – makes my day. see you on the clown circuit with the beaded lady and the skinhead with 6 fingers.

June 18, 2014 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. splinter67

my god is he wearing glasses now to make himself look smarter?? obviously it didn't work...

June 18, 2014 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  9. dotheflippin'math

My wife has the alcoholism gene, so she has to be careful on the rare times she drinks. My cousin is a lesbian. She tried dating guys, and has plenty of male friends, but her body is simply not "excited" by males. I know gay guys who say the exact same thing about women – they're totally not attracted to them, the way we straight folk aren't attracted in the slightest to our own sex. In my almost 50 years of life, I've only known a few true "bisexuals," but after hearing Gov. Perry's apples to oranges comparison, I would have to think that Rick Perry is one of those lucky few to feel physical attraction to both men and women – the BEST of both worlds!! Lucky SOB! Um, no, I won't be voting for him, but I'm jealous of his sexual duality, even if he hasn't quite come to grips with it, yet.

June 18, 2014 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  10. Pinball Wizard

It's more likely that you will be struck by lightning than this genius making it to the White House. But I would vote for him if his campaign platform is to have Texas secede from the Union.

June 18, 2014 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  11. Pinball Wizard

June 18, 2014 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. Rozznitz

Spoke his mind. And defeating him is the duty of the people if the majority really do believe he is out of step with reality. You will always have people who hate LGBT because they are so threatened on too many levels. Perry is a creep who will be forgotten.

June 18, 2014 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  13. Pinball Wizard

But I would vote for him

June 18, 2014 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Another brain dead repub, seems like there is no shortage of them

June 18, 2014 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. freeme10

"Hey, look over there."

– Rick Perry

June 18, 2014 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  16. Lenny Pincus

Yes, because if a state wants to screw over an American citizen, Perry will be happy. Screw Perry and his states rights horse manure.

June 18, 2014 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  17. Seon

I guess a Republican stating his belief that there is a biological component to homosexuality is an advance of a sort I guess. Better than thinking you can pick it up listening to NPR.

June 18, 2014 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. Michael

Just your typical everyday... hate & fear mongering, ignorant, God fearing Republican... nothing new here!

June 18, 2014 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  19. Ram

I think the guy's made his statement about what he thinks about homosexuality. Did he have anything else to say about about any pressing issues, or do we have to wait until he recants before CNN will ask him anything else?

June 18, 2014 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. rickinmo

I didn't read the article because Perry is so off the wall that anything he says is useless babble. My advice to Perry is to take up painting and join George Bush in the political afterlife.

June 18, 2014 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. Jimh77

Uninformed, typical of politicians. No Clue here.

June 18, 2014 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

And this is the man who helped to cement the reputation of Texas as being a bastion of conservative values: doesn't that just warm your heart, eh Gundy, Tom l, Donna, Just Asking and the rest of the rightie gauleiters? A C student from Texas A&M has spoken for you on a subject I'm sure is near and dear to all your hearts, controlling other people's thoughts. minds, and bodies. How does it feel, Torquemada Gundy? Don't get too bent, Tom l, you've made enough broad-based comments to last you a lifetime, so how does it feel to have one flung at you?

June 18, 2014 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. MrObvious

Why does everyone have to have an opinion and view of lbgt??? Let the lbgt live their lives without controversy!!! Let other people who do not have a statement to make about it live without a stalement and public opinion about it. Quit pestering people until they put words togetherr in a fashion that you can accuse them of something they really did not say or have an opinion on!!! Why does every other article have to be about lbgt?????
    Stupid, stupid reporting!!!!!!2

June 18, 2014 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. Jay Tea

So is alcoholism a states rights issue too?

June 18, 2014 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  25. greg waits

What an arrogant and incompetent tool.

June 18, 2014 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |