June 18th, 2014
3 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Jonljne

I'll be a monkey's uncle before we legalize alcoholic marriage nationwide

June 19, 2014 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  2. Watermark

Many of these homophobes are themselves closeted homosexuals. Is is very sad...

June 19, 2014 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  3. bananaspy

"One size fits all" is exactly how human rights work, Mr. Perry.

June 19, 2014 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  4. jeff

That's funny there are no responses to this pretty hot discussion.
    Good job censures

June 19, 2014 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  5. Thomas

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said.

It sounds like he speaks with experience !

June 19, 2014 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  6. grafixer

It is Perry... Why would anyone expect anything other than an ignorant Tea response? These people say the are so against "Sharia Law", but if you LISTEN to what their platform is... it is against rights for women, against rights for all minorities, against those that don't believe what they do, against anything other than corporate martial law. That is... exactly what they SAY they are "against." Something is very wrong with the GOP/TEA... and this is not what our country was founded on... nor is it what the majority of Americans want.

June 19, 2014 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  7. sparks2000

Homosexuality is a disease that plagues humanity. He only spoke the truth. Good for him.

June 19, 2014 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  8. Agreed

Homosexuality is a state by state issue – no matter how hard you are pressured not everyone thinks homosexuality as moral.

June 19, 2014 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  9. Marko Polo

This dude is creepy. God save America from his ilk.

June 19, 2014 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  10. Texas king

Isn't this the same guy who forgot the 3rd Dept of govt that sshould be shut down. Why is he even getting any reporting coverage.

June 19, 2014 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  11. Bill

That Air Force officer training is finally coming in handy for Perry, in his equivocation of the truth for political goals.

June 19, 2014 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  12. Mr

That was a short live candidacy. See you later loser

June 19, 2014 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  13. Nick Acoff

You don't owe anybody any explanation. These radical perverted fruitcakes are out of control. I wish some government agency would go rogue and take care or the radical queer agenda on a black opt level.

June 19, 2014 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  14. j.v.hodgson

Hoist on his own petard. how did I figure that out when asked if Alcohol is disease QED in context of his statement Homosexuality is a disease and its prove by state law he signed, i.e cures for homosexuals... his every answer was to change the subject.
    What a disingenuous person this man Is.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 19, 2014 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  15. willthefree

First? Seriously? Awesome...

June 19, 2014 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  16. RollyBobo

I know people get enraged by these types of comparisons – and I understand that feeling.

However, the reality about alcoholism is that some people are more predisposed to it and than others.

And sexual desire is not a choice – but having sex is a choice, with whom and when.

We cannot actually dismiss those things, if we were to have a rational discussion. Not to say, we will have one.
    Usually that's not how these conversations play out.

June 19, 2014 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  17. Matt

This is sick. My father is an alcoholic and my brother is gay–comparing them in the first place is sick and bizarre. Because of his addiction to alcohol, my father made my families' life hell for years–I have two broken bones and a broken heart to prove it. My brother and his husband are the most devoted, loyal, and supportive couple I have ever encountered–I would do anything to find love like that in this world.

Being inclined to be fall under the spell of a substance that can turn you into a monster is just completely different than being inclined to fall in love with another man or woman.

June 19, 2014 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  18. Josh

If you have bigger issues to focus on then stop making asinine comments in order to try to deny homosexuals the same rights as everyone else.

June 19, 2014 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  19. DarunZahn

We all live our lives based on the experiences and reasonings that give our lives color. So while I don't disparage Perry's views on homosexuality, I do however view it similarly to a white American outlining the disparaties faced by black Americans based on race as in he has no clue what it's like. Perhaps he is making an effort to understand homosexuals in his own mentality, but that is his error in trying to equivocate how he feels about alcoholism vs. how he feels towards homosexuality. Your opinion has merit Mr. Perry, but your logic has none.

June 19, 2014 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  20. Chad

At least his bigotry and ignorance is consistent, I guess. How proud you must be, Texans.

June 19, 2014 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  21. Imjesayin

He's run out of mouth space and feet to put in it.

June 19, 2014 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  22. Demigod Vadik, CA

Though Perry is right on alcoholism...

...being a homosexual is not destructive, does not destroy lives and families, and does not kill innocent people like alcoholics who drink do...

...so it is like comparing apples and sea urchins...

June 19, 2014 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  23. Suralin

I think part of the disconnect on this is that, for many conservatives, homosexuality is something someone *does*, rather than something someone *is*. So by their logic, of course one could stop being a homosexual - all it takes is not having sex.

But for gays themselves, liberals, and increasingly moderates, "homosexuality" refers to the preference for adult romantic/sexual partners of the same sex, in and of itself. Whether a person acts upon that preference or not is utterly irrelevant, and is not the government's business.

June 19, 2014 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  24. Cynara

Wow, who'd have thought it? I agree with Rick Perry: 'The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, “and that is not on these social issues.”'

So why do he and most Republicans keep making it about the social issues?

June 19, 2014 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  25. Ed

Here's some more rope, GOP. Please keep talking.

June 19, 2014 02:04 am at 2:04 am |