June 20th, 2014
2 months ago

Texas governor: I stepped in it

(CNN) – Gov. Rick Perry admitted he fumbled the ball when he recently compared homosexuality to alcoholism.

"I stepped right in it," the Texas Republican said Thursday at an event sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, which also aired on C-SPAN.

"We need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody...Whether you're gay or straight, you need to be having a job, and those are the focuses that I want to be involved with," he said.

"We're an incredibly diverse mosaic of a country," Perry continued. "A lot of these issues need to be decided at the state level."

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The day before, on Wednesday, Perry stood by the comments on CNN's "Crossfire" when he was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy.

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues."

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor – who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 – was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

CNN's Ashley Killough and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. cebundy1620

Perry has always been a all hat and no cattle kind of guy. But he's pretty.

June 20, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. ShawnDH

kuntz whined: "The man spoke his mind. Is there anything wrong with that?"
    _________________________

Uh, yeah when it's an incredibly stupid, childish and thing that is said.

June 20, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Pierce

I am sure the eyeglasses make perry look smarter than he is. Maybe.

June 20, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I really really hope he's a closet gay. What an idiot. Makes me embarrassed to be a Texan.

June 20, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. snowdogg

"The potential presidential candidate, who was unsuccessful in his 2012 White House bid, didn't necessarily distance himself from the comments or apologize, but said he'd rather be talking about other issues."

Wow, really! How shocking!

June 20, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. CryBabies

SDG and Sly....Even though you think your comment was "cute", "funny " , whatever, ...... Its an abhorrent think to say or infer that somebody in specific would say that. What credibility you may have earned has vanished.

June 20, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Krishna

We all know who Rick perry is. Leave him alone and do not waist time.

June 20, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. columbus

"We need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody......."

He went on to say: Yup, we gotta realize we're a country made up of good God fearin' people as well as faqs, wetbacks, and ni##ers.

June 20, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. midwestmatt

He only stepped in it because his bigotry and illusions were called out. Otherwise, he'd still be saying it.

Rick Perry is a dyed in the wool, extreme right wing, conservative who believed what he said then and still believes it now.

Sorry, Rick. Those with a brain aren't buying your "apology."

June 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Marie MD

Oops gov, you didn't just step In it. You are full of it!
    I've often wondered if people who hate others, not like them or rich, are really afraid of who they are and are just covering "it" up.

June 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. asdrel

" "I stepped right in it," the Texas Republican said". It wouldn't be so bad if he only stepped in it or fumbled the ball once or twice, but he has stepped in it so many, many times. But I here Texas does have a lot of cattle so maybe it's hard not to do that if you're not careful.

June 20, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. mikeinmiami

Don't be too hard on the Governor. For years now his hair dye has been slowly leaching into his brain.

June 20, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. OnTheRoad

Poor Perry, he has 'Stepped' in it so many times that it is no longer funny!

June 20, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Hogarth

Empty head and heart to match the empty suit.

June 20, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. scott

if this idiot runs for president in 2016 and gets 1 vote the person who voted for him should use their obamacare benefits to get their head examined....the n-word head ranch, the 3 federal departments, opps remarks from the 2012 debates, and now this....what a texas pos.

June 20, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Miguel

There is nothing the governor said that was wrong. Whatever way we are born, we still have control of our actions.

Are pedophiles born that way or is it a choice they make? Are we going to give everybody a pass for their actions?

June 20, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. Tony Manero

You want them to keep talking, and reveal themselves. What do they say in an echo chamber like a Tea Party, CPAC or Aryan Nation rally, rather than scripted in the public media. Romney's 47% comment was an eye-opener, and his Binders full of women was very amusing . . . Pallin's "I haven't read a book . ." and Bachmann's "I hear messages ffrom God .. . " are all res ipsa loquitur.

June 20, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Tom

Rick Perry should choose to be someone other than who he is. What a loser!

June 20, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. fedupwithamericanpolitics

Rick Perry is the perfect example of how you can be totally dumb but still make it! hope yet for all those out there.

June 20, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. robertholt

With a gay, I wonder if at some level, part of that person is saying, "hey, this is wrong". They suppress what their conscience is telling them. If they "look the other way" long enough, eventually it will be too late.

June 20, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. fekt

We are a tolerant nation. We even let retards become governors of our states. Texas being a shining example. Don't think I'm just picking on the southerners. We have Kasich in Ohio as another example.

June 20, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Runtime Al

In the last presidential primary, he got booted out real early. Do you remember why?

June 20, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Chris Rische

and

"A lot of these issues need to be decided at the state level."

are just code for.. local powers should be able to screw over people without interference.

June 20, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Anonymous

@Rsimcox

"It's probably more of a genetic defect."

Show me proof...show me the gene, show me the defective gene marker or protein, show me something that is more than your guess. Otherwise you're a bigot running on faith just like Mr. Pervey here

June 20, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. Eric

Remember Rick Perry is the one who had a ranch with a big boulder that said "N@$%erhead Ranch" on it. He quietly removed it once he realized oooh this might make for some bad publicity leading up to my presidential run.

June 20, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |