June 20th, 2014
6 months ago

Texas governor: I stepped in it

(CNN) – Gov. Rick Perry admitted he fumbled the ball when he recently compared homosexuality to alcoholism.

"I stepped right in it," the Texas Republican said Thursday at an event sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, which also aired on C-SPAN.

The potential presidential candidate, who was unsuccessful in his 2012 White House bid, didn't necessarily distance himself from the comments or apologize, but said he'd rather be talking about other issues.

"We need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody...Whether you're gay or straight, you need to be having a job, and those are the focuses that I want to be involved with," he said.

"We're an incredibly diverse mosaic of a country," Perry continued. "A lot of these issues need to be decided at the state level."

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The day before, on Wednesday, Perry stood by the comments on CNN's "Crossfire" when he was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy.

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues."

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor – who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 – was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

CNN's Ashley Killough and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. bobby frank

I am from Texas and he is not that well liked by even Republicans. He wins by a sheer majority of people that always vote Republican no matter what. City of Dallas, City of Houston, San Antonio, and Austin are very liberal minded sane people that can't stand this idiot. Unfortunately, a lot of people that should vote do not and that is why this happens in our state time after time. I am pretty sure that the same is true for every Red state and I really wish that people would rise up to this stupidity and go vote against these idiots.

June 20, 2014 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. jjt35

you know what the problem is with everything being "states' right"? Jim Crow. Segregation. simply the tyranny of the majority. leting the majority decide what rights the minority should have is a bad idea. people aren't as moral, ethical, or considerate as they think they are...

June 20, 2014 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. MicheleBelle

This just goes to show you how STUPID Texans REALLY are. Perry is just the KING OF THE DOPES. All hail King Perry...*eyeroll*...

June 20, 2014 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Go away. Go away as far as humanly possible, then keep going.

June 20, 2014 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. Edwin

He stepped in it?
    He LIVES in it.

June 20, 2014 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  6. SweePee

He stepped in it alright.
    and he still stinks.

I think he really believes he can finesse the "Party of Stupid".

June 20, 2014 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  7. MC

Men (and women) hold rights to life, happiness, and umm ah, hmm, what's that third thing. Not gay!, yes, um No!

Chuckles, oh yea Liberty!

June 20, 2014 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. lewtwo

It is a common problem for him - in fact he rarely gets out of it.

June 20, 2014 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. TxGran

Lifelong Texan.....spot on.....from another lifelong Texan. Perry steps in it so much, he can't pull his foot out.

June 20, 2014 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. RollyBobo

As if you must focus on jobs or focus on social issues.

This guy probably focuses for 30 minutes a day on getting his shoes tied – and that's OK. You focus on the task at hand.

It isn't one or the other – promote jobs. But also, people are interested in your position on social issues – and they don't like your position on this particular social issue.

June 20, 2014 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  11. my10cents

I think Gov. Perry produces more of "it" each time he opens his mouth than he steps in. Unless of course it's when he's putting his foot in his mouth; then it's a toss up.

June 20, 2014 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. J R Brown

So....no one's is debunking him with scientific data....they're just bellyaching over his lack of "let me fall all over myself to not offend the gays" stance.

June 20, 2014 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  13. bob reilly

He stepped in it and then licked his shoes off

June 20, 2014 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. Bren

I'll say it again. Every time he opens his mouth he proves just how stupid he is.

June 20, 2014 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  15. Uncle Wally

I am a Texan and a Democrat. This clown is an embarrassment. Lots of folks don't know that 7 million Texans voted in the last presidential election. 4 million voted for Romney and 3 million voted for Obama. You can't say all Texans are stupid but about 60% are.

June 20, 2014 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  16. hozo1

you just can't fix stupid ...

June 20, 2014 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. jerry

This person is beyond stupid. It's almost as if he tries to outdo himself every time he opens his face. I know you Texans aren't generally not regarded as intelligent. On the contrary, you're border line Neanderthal. but fake it and make believe you don't agree with this guy. You'll be happier for it.

June 20, 2014 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  18. Dave R.

So some one explain why any one would want to live in Texas? If you're gay, you're getting bashed. If you're a woman and you happen to get pregnant, you've just gave up all of your rights to your body.

June 20, 2014 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  19. Shedevil

I hate flip floppers and I hate cowards. You either believe what you said or you don't.

June 20, 2014 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  20. Alvin

The truly ignorant is the liberals who claim to have brains, but can't take their minds off their special purpose.

June 20, 2014 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  21. Tucker

The glasses didn't make him any smarter.

June 20, 2014 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. danab1234

He dove right into it.

June 20, 2014 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  23. Thomas

Rick Perry 2016

Don't let intelligence be a obstacle !

June 20, 2014 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Brendan

I'd rather live with a dumb Texan than the people in this comment section. Good grief you people are a whole slew of bad words and sound like you would be absolutely annoying, pedantic and arrogant. Calling an entire state a "race" of people? I got tell you I live in Massachusetts and Deval Patrick is no shining gem of brilliance and need I remind people that mr 47% himself Mitt Romney calls that him home as well. Shame on the people insulting texans. Nicest people I've ever met.

June 20, 2014 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  25. larry

Oh no. someone crucified 4 saying what he believes. lets change his answer. who cares if he disagrees. im catholic u dnt like it stick it!

June 20, 2014 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |