June 20th, 2014
3 months ago

Texas governor: I stepped in it

(CNN) – Gov. Rick Perry admitted he fumbled the ball when he recently compared homosexuality to alcoholism.

"I stepped right in it," the Texas Republican said Thursday at an event sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, which also aired on C-SPAN.

The potential presidential candidate, who was unsuccessful in his 2012 White House bid, didn't necessarily distance himself from the comments or apologize, but said he'd rather be talking about other issues.

"We need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody...Whether you're gay or straight, you need to be having a job, and those are the focuses that I want to be involved with," he said.

"We're an incredibly diverse mosaic of a country," Perry continued. "A lot of these issues need to be decided at the state level."

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The day before, on Wednesday, Perry stood by the comments on CNN's "Crossfire" when he was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy.

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues."

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor – who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 – was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

CNN's Ashley Killough and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. jimmy

He's his own worst enemy. This is just a continuation of his ignorance. He has absolutely no chance of becoming president.

June 20, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. SeattleReign

You know this guy is hilarious....and not in a good way. I hope he runs for Prez again. At least I'll be entertained during the debates. There are so many other piles he will step in before it's over.

June 20, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. johnbiggscr

'SERIOUSLY???
    It takes a real man to admit a mistake. It takes a liberal to lie, deflect, dodge.'

Seeing as I assume you are conservative then you have just proven your own statement to be incorrect. You shot yourself in the foot with your own statement, kind of like perry I guess.

June 20, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. scoobydootou2

Governor Perry is a very strange individual. The lights are not on and he's not home. He's the epitome of the "stuffed suit".

The concern with folks like him is that the psychos always seem to gravitate to positions of power.

June 20, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. DB

"Ooops...I accidentally admitted what I was REALLY thinking."

June 20, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Loathstheright

Texas needs an IQ test for holding office....but that would mean no Texan could pass the test.

June 20, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Dan

"Like him or not, Governor Perry is the reason why texas has more jobs than the entire US combined."
    -Broses

Its statements like these that make me upset that the US government collects so much Tax revenue and yet spends so little on providing a quality education to ALL of our workers. I certainly hope that this user does not believe that Texas has more the jobs than the entire US combined (Hint Texas is part of the US and therefore would be counted in the combined US totals). Perhaps He/She/It meant to say that "Texas has more jobs than the *rest* of the US combined", but that shows a very poor understanding of demographics. Perhaps this person meant to say that "Texas has added more jobs in the last N years, than the rest of the US combined". Either this person has a horrible grasp of written English or a horrible grasp of math (maybe both). We should be investing our Tax revenue in areas that will provide the highest return on investment, in the young people who will grow up to be America.

June 20, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. ayearofpig

Human rights should not be decided at the state level.

June 20, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. Drew

This man is the bottomless cup of idiocy.

June 20, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. nikki

No offense to gays, but he looks gay.

June 20, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Michael Rutledge

Grammar means NOTHING to this moron! What an embarrassment to Texas!

June 20, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. matthewjtanner

It's awl guud, Rick. You wun narry gonna be president no how.

June 20, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  13. MaryM

Ha, not only did Perry step in it, he has been swimming in it for a long long time

June 20, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. sly

Governor Perry stated today that "therapy can heal black people and make them white".

His comments were immediately applauded by the conservative Republicans, as they think they'll get more votes that way.

June 20, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. TomGI

""I stepped right in it," the Texas Republican said Thursday..."

Again? That's a reoccurring habit for you Ricky.

June 20, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. PushingBack

Oh ok, he stepped in it but won't say he's wrong for fear of a backlash from the other side. Governor Christie may be the only one with any common sense on the conservative side of the aisle. But, as we see here all the time, his team will call him a RINO because they're too short minded to see that kind of thinking would be good for the party.

So Ricky, I may have genetic coding to be an ignorant jerk but I overcome that with fair-mindedness and the ability to be compassionate to those that are different from me.

June 20, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. qqqqqjim

I'm beginning to think this guy is just doing all this for the free publicity because nobody can be that stupid!

June 20, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. gj2001

Rick, we knew you 'stepped in it' 3 or 4 years ago.

June 20, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. Marcus

I just love how all the politicians who say or do stupid things try their hand at damage control. I heard that Ted Cruz is going to read War & Peace at his next fillabuster, to make up for the Green Eggs & Ham venture, to sho he can read above a 4th grade level.

June 20, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. morris diehl

Dick Chaney meet Rick Perry. Now both of you go away and let the real men run the country. Sorry Hilary you don't count.

June 20, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. pat

Stepped in it??? He LIVES in it.

June 20, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. rep

Perry is such an embarrassment to the country. I'm not from Texas, but I'd think people there should be fretting every time he opens his mouth for fear of what further idiocy might come out of it. I know I would be.

June 20, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. throbo

I thought he had his smart glasses on.

June 20, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. Bob

"We need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody..."
    Obviously, Mr. Perry, you aren't able to do that.

June 20, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Smeagel4T

No prob, Ricky. We're used to you stepping in it. It's actually expected whenever you open your mouth.

June 20, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |