June 23rd, 2014
6 months ago

Katy Perry's offer to Hillary Clinton

(CNN) - Maybe Hillary Clinton will take Katy Perry up on her offer.

The pop superstar says she'll write Clinton's theme song if the former secretary of state does decide to run for president again.

"I told hillaryclinton that I would write her a "theme" song if she needs it," the singer best known for "I Kissed a Girl" and "Firework" said Friday on Instagram, a day after she met Clinton at a book signing for Clinton's new memoir "Hard Choices."

Clinton's response indicates she may already have a Perry song in mind.

"@katyperry Well that’s not a Hard Choice. You already did! Keep letting us hear you Roar," Clinton tweeted Sunday, referring to the singer's 2013 hit "Roar."

The lyrics in the song tell the story of a woman who used to "bite my tongue and hold my breath, scared to rock the boat."

But after being "past the breaking point," she "got up. Already brushing off the dust You hear my voice, you hear that sound. Like thunder gonna shake the ground. You held me down, but I got up. Get ready cause I've had enough.

Besides being a  Clinton fan, Perry is a major supporter of President Barack Obama.

New comments from Clinton rekindle personal wealth controversy

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Future says:
    June 23, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am
    The next election will be a fiasco like 2010…we eleceted an unqualified black because of race and now we are going to elect a nutcase woman just because women want a woman president….Everyone said the economy is the #1 issue but then we do not elect Romney who probably had the most qualifications than any president in the last 50 years…The majority of voters are too biased or just too plan ignorant to vote for the best person for America

And what exactly qualified Willard to be POTUS? The fact that he was born with a platinum spoon in his mouth? The fact that he refused to show his tax forms like every other candidate, including his father? The fact that he lied thru his teeth constantly? The smug look on his face? Or maybe him only writing an acceptance speech? The fact that he closed down companies and shipped American jobs to China or just his skin?

President Obama is and was just as qualified as Mitt in 2012, actually he was more qualified. Because of all the losers that ran in 2012, President Obama was the only candidate that had Presidential experience. The country is coming back and without the help of not one of the corporate welfare queens in Congress aka the GOP.

June 23, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

"Getting it would require accepting that the way he thinks the world should work isn't the way the world does work."

But of course. I'm also finding that Rand Paul is strong on these threads today. Going back 30 years of Hillary is a bit much, even for him. Opens up a can of worms he's going to have to address in his 30 year background, which I seriously doubt he's ready to answer for ... given what has already become public fodder. Reince Preibus, though? This is a man I've no patience for. He's taken stupid to a level folks in the GOP ought to see through and smirk at. Well, those that actually do have vestment in a working America (that needs a great deal of attention ... such as it's become). All this bigotry and racism he's promoting is history past (and for good reason). Reliving the worst America has to offer isn't my cup of tea. Nor, do I think, is it the majority of Americans cup of tea. And, yeah. I know why he's gotten away with his trash talk. It sickens me.

June 23, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. Anonymous

If I were Ms. Clinton I would want Carol King to write my theme song.

June 23, 2014 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Sniffit

"Poor Reince Preibus. Still doesn't get it (and probably never will)."

To be fair, that's because he doesn't want to get it. Getting it would require accepting that the way he thinks the world should work isn't the way the world does work.
    -----------------------------
    I think Reince, and probably the entire right wing, would tell you that he's trying to fix the way the world works. It's broken.

June 23, 2014 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Ctcamom

What a great break for Clinton since, as she says she is "unlike a lot of people who are truly well off." Apparently she's not "truly well off" because her wealth requires "hard work." Poor baby...she could really use this pick me up! Oh, and CNN, great job on equally representing politicians from both sides of the aisle as out of touch. I guess you can't see well to the left. Maybe I missed it, but this doesn't seem too interesting to you...in comparison to comments made by Republican politicians.

June 23, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Jon

At least it's got the "I stood for nothing" part right.

June 23, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. Ctcamom

What an opportunity for her since, as she says she is "unlike a lot of people who are truly well off." Apparently, she isn't "truly well off" because her wealth requires "hard work." She makes a standard six figure for speaking...just like the rest of us...right? She could really use this boost. Oh, and kudos to this news site for equally showing politicians on each side of the aisle as being out of touch. You might want to get your left eye checked out. I think it is fine for Katy Perry to support her candidate, this is more of a comment about what I don't see versus what I do see.

June 23, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Ctcamom

What a relief for Clinton. She just announced she's not "truly well off" because she has to "work hard." This should really ease her stress.

June 23, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Ann

I adored Bill Clinton. He was my favorite POTUS until President Obama. Bill Clinton had a robust economy, everyone had jobs, and he was very likable. But just like many other powerful men before him, he was a man. Many Presidents have had mistresses over the years. The difference in Bill is, he seems to be the only one that got set up. Monica was a willing participant, one who kept a stained dress for 6 months, if that doesn't spell set up, then what does. People look at JFK and Jackie like they were gods and goddesses, yet JFK completely disrespected Jackie and she stuck by him, but that's ok. Presidents have had side pieces since they came off the slave ships. So why does Hillary have to be different?

With that logic, we probably just need to elect or hire a twenty-something to be the Presidential concubine and make sure it's transparent to the world that those are the standards we as a country support. Just because others did it, doesn't make it right or acceptable. Maybe you could write a book report for school and include the exact statistics as to how many Presidents are known to be "cheaters" and how many were not. Hopefully, the majority were not. How many times have you had relations with an older and/or more powerful man? No regrets, no remorse, no feelings of being manipulated?

June 23, 2014 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Really?

Well the Elitest Clinton can afford to get a Perry song. The rest of us can't. Wish I could make $200,000 for a speech.

June 23, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  11. DaisyBlue

June 23, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. Cin99

If she runs she will win.

June 23, 2014 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. Michael

For all you HIMYM fans ... oh, Honey.

June 23, 2014 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

With that logic, we probably just need to elect or hire a twenty-something to be the Presidential concubine and make sure it’s transparent to the world that those are the standards we as a country support. Just because others did it, doesn’t make it right or acceptable. Maybe you could write a book report for school and include the exact statistics as to how many Presidents are known to be “cheaters” and how many were not. Hopefully, the majority were not. How many times have you had relations with an older and/or more powerful man? No regrets, no remorse, no feelings of being manipulated?

Thanks but my book report days are way behind me. But I do read enough about history to know that President Clinton was not the first to cheat and he won't be the last. As for me, older men have always creeped me out. They did when I was younger and they do now that I'm older. But then I wasn't trying to bring down the most powerful man in the world either. Monica wasn't innocent, she knew exactly what she was doing and got just what she asked for.

June 23, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. Yourewrong

"Loren
    I'm sure that Katy Perry means well, but it is another case of entertainers not knowing enough about the world and lending their support to someone who should not be receiving it.

The Clintons have done more damage to the U.S. economy than any other administration. While some may think that Walmart is a great thing, the Clintons allowed Chinese manufactured goods to enter the U.S. even though China was not in compliance with U.S. law on Human Rights compliance. While that may not seem like a big thing, it cause thousands of well-paying U.S. manufacturing jobs to be sent overseas to China, while Americans got stuck with low-paying service jobs in companies like Walmart.

I just wish that next time an entertainer like Katy Perry thought about supporting Hilary Clinton, they'd take a few days and think about it, maybe go by their local Walmart and see what a great employer it is and what wonderful products it offers (in the midst of the junk and the minimum age jobs)."

--------–

Is this a joke? the most damage to the US economy? You do realize the only surplus on the budget we have had in the last 50 years was when Bill Clinton was president.

Have you ever heard of Reaganomics? Trickle-down? The taxes on the very top bracket income were 80%+ 50 years ago and the country did not go broke, even supporting a war in the 40's.
    Since Reagan started that trend, the taxes of the top income bracket have plummeted and the disparity of income between rich/companies and middle class has become astronomical.

I just wish the next time you decided to make a post on the internet, you took a few days to think about it, maybe read a textbook and know ANYTHING about what you're talking about before you post.

June 23, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  16. sifto

How about "paupers daughter"?

June 23, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  17. Michael

All the left-wing, Socialist, wacko, unconstitutional, anti-gun, anti-Capitalism, environut crap Barack Obama hasn't been crafty enough to pull over on the American people, Hillary is wily enough to get done. That is truly scary.

June 23, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

"Thanks but my book report days are way behind me."

LOL. What is it with the right wing of America that we must all of us be pegged as grade school cheerleaders. Have they NOT gotten out of grade school themselves that they can't see the forest through the trees?

June 23, 2014 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  19. Yourewrong

DaisyBlue
    "President Obama is and was just as qualified as Mitt in 2012 . . ." Are you kidding me? Barak Obama couldn't run a hotdog stand. This country will NOT come back until Obama is OUT of the Whitehouse! Capitalism is what made this country the brightest and the greatest. Until the liberals figure that out, we will continue in our downward spiral. Half the people is this country are on assistance, and as Margaret Thatchet said "sooner or later, you run out of other people's money." If this trend isn't reversed, China will be ordering us around on our own soil. (actually, THEIR soil by then.) Read your history, people. Find out what the Founding Fathers faced in setting up this country. Find out where they came from and why they fled here. It's IMPORTANT! You liberals are all so smug, but if you don't know our history, you don't really know ANYthing!"

----------

Why do you think everyone needs assistance today? The middle class has been destroyed, minimum wage no longer supports living, and the disparity between the rich and the poor is so astronomically huge that essentially all of the money the country has/produces is in the hands of about 10% of the people. THAT is what unregulated capitalism has caused. This is what communists seek to avoid, and for good reason. Communism is not the answer either. It lies somewhere in the middle, which rich republicans will never ever agree to, because they will lose their foothold on all of the money, yet cry when the people who have none of it need assistance. What a joke.

June 23, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. terry b

I see the nutcases out in drives backing up the current version of the Nazi party which is referred to as the republican party, Those who prefer fascism over democracy will continue to back the republican candidates for office. Personally, I can't stand the idea of someone who reminds me of Adolph Hitler to be president. Rick Perry is a great example of this analogy. Only the truly mentally deficient would ever want to suppress voting rights or a woman's right to choose. Fascism can be confused with a form of mental illness as reflected by several of the posts out here.

June 23, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  21. TomGI

Doesn't matter, Hillary or Jeb. They are both corporatists and their loyalty lies with the Wall Street and mega bank corps that pay their way. These are not candidates of the people and frankly I can only assume that Perry has been rewarded handsomely for her involvement in Hillary 2016.

June 23, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |