June 24th, 2014
4 weeks ago

Final chapter underway in nation's ugliest primary

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) - Lifelong Democrat Jackie Bland is doing something she never thought she'd do: Urge people to vote for a Republican.

Bland supports Thad Cochran, a six-term Mississippi senator who's trying to fend off a fierce tea party challenge to his seat from Chris McDaniel as voting got underway in Tuesday's primary runoff.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2014 • Chris McDaniel • Mississippi • Senate • Thad Cochran
  1. Mark

The enemy of my enemy

June 24, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

This primary has been a wonderful example of a race to the bottom. Ordinarily, I would not even bother with watching a state like MS engage in such self-destructive processes, but this one has managed to garner my attention if only for the sheer nastiness displayed by the Tea Party on someone who has been a reliable conservative vote for decades. Its a stunning example of willful ignorance.

June 24, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Sniffit

Cochran courts African American vote...then suddenly, Teatrolls and McDaniel start screaming about potential voter fraud.

Color me shocked. Getting the picture yet?

To be fair, I think the cross-over voting is stupid. Let McDaniel win. He'll be easier to beat than Cochran. All that would need to be done is broadcast McDaniel's prior racist, bigoted and misogynist statements 24/7 and then sprinkle a little of his confederate secessionism all over the top. That would motivate the minority voters to get out and vote more than the risk of Cochran winning.

June 24, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. Silence DoGood

@Sniffit

Color me shocked. Getting the picture yet?

----------
    I agree. I love it when a self-righteous radical right-winger gets out there and wins a primary. Generally, the reaction from the voters at large in horror usually win the day for the liberals.

June 24, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Lily

@ Sniffit
    I beg to disagree with you. It is better to cut off all the roots and leaves out instantly, which will enable you to be sure that slowly the tree will die out. Here I mean vote McDaniel right away. Once he is gone, people in MS will find their way out how to get a proper person who will work for them as they do wish.

June 24, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

I guess some folks feel the risk of giving McDaniel even the slightest chance of winning in the fall is simply unacceptable.

June 24, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"someone who has been a reliable conservative vote for decades"

Right....BUT...he's not willing to go beyond a certain point and actually do things (or fail to do things) with the explicit purpose of wreaking untold damage on the federal gov't and the Amurikan public in order to either (a) destroy it and finally win the Civil War or (b) get what they want by holding everything else hostage and making everyone suffer until we give in to their demands. The Birchers...I mean Teatrolls...consider that the #1 qualifier for determining who they will support.

June 24, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

@Lynda – I've been undergoing remarkable therapy. I'll be fine until I move the wrong way again. Growing old pains, that's what they are.

June 24, 2014 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

Sniffit, all I was commenting on was this hilarious purity test being conducted by those who scream about bias all the-live-long-day. Their real inclinations have been revealed in this endorsement of a failed Rush Limbaugh-wannabee. The fact that Haley Barbour is now on the left side of their likely nominee is hilarious.

June 24, 2014 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |