June 29th, 2014
1 month ago

Poll: Majority think Hillary Clinton can relate to average Americans

(CNN) – Despite recent fumbles on the state of her personal wealth, a new national survey shows more than half of respondents believe Hillary Clinton can relate to average Americans as well as other possible White House hopefuls can.

The NBC/Wall Street Journal/Annenberg poll released Sunday indicates 55% surveyed think Clinton can relate to the problems of everyday citizens. But 37% said Clinton, a likely 2016 presidential candidate, isn't as relatable as other potential White House hopefuls.

The survey was conducted from Thursday through Saturday, after a series of wealth-related comments that critics say prove the longtime Washington political fixture has lost touch with the struggles of ordinary people.

111014052844-hillary-clinton-story-top

In a recent interview with ABC News at the start of her book tour peddling her new memoir, the former first lady described the financial situation of her and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, as "dead broke" upon leaving the White House. Those comments, while correct - the Clintons did leave the White House with considerable debt - created the sense among some people that the former first family is out of step with the average American.

Asked later to explain the misstep, Clinton stumbled again on the topic of wealth, contrasting what she pays in income tax to that of other "truly" wealthy individuals, in an interview with The Guardian newspaper in Great Britain.

Clinton later said her comments were "unartful" and that her record defending the middle class "speaks for itself." Bill Clinton quickly came to his wife's defense. And President Barack Obama brushed off the commotion over the comments, underscoring the former secretary of state's commitment to public service in an interview that aired Sunday.

Still, Republicans continue to pounce on the comments, highlighting that Clinton and her husband now collect hefty sums for speaking engagements, left office with a sizable government pension as well as the promise of massive book advances. All this comes to the Clintons as income inequality and an ailing economy continue to dog the nation.

First on CNN: National Republicans say Hillary Clinton is next Obama, not husband

The NBC/WSJ/Annenberg poll was conducted from June 26-28 among 592 adults, contacted by telephone. The sampling error is plus or minus 5.1 percentage points.

CNN's Dan Merica and Cassie Spodak contributed to this report.

Related: Hillary Clinton wants 2014 Democrats to run on Obamacare

Prosecutor in controversial case says Clinton had no choice but to defend rapist

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton
  1. aukarm

I've never ignored someones pleas for help, thus leaving them for dead.... So no, I can't. I have considered turning a wing of one of my mansions into a laundry mat to make ends meet though, so who knows.

June 30, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. karek40

Hillary doesn't care if she relates, she just wants to be president. Anyone thinks she cares should look at her response to the Benghazi incident.

June 30, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. BBallron43

Hillary is a snob , always has been. Now Bill is another case. he is a man of the people. We need Hillary as President like we need Obama for another term. She looks down at people. Just analyze her comments. White Water was swept under the rug, Behghazi, well all know what happened there. She told the dems to run on Obama carfe "plain stupid'. Hillary for President "heck NO"

June 30, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Ned Nederlander

She relates to brainless automatons who vote for a monkey to occupy the white house as we plant banana trees in the rose garden.

June 30, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. RettasVegas

I'm sooo...tired of the GOP attacking her everytime she speaks, they are so fearful that the MAJORITY of voters won't buy into their trashing of her, they always OVER REACT to her every move.

I for one will not forget in 2016 that they the EXTREME GOP shut down our Govt. just to whine about ObamaCare, hurting the MAJORITY, knowing full well , it would not stop NOR delay ObamaCare, they lost me then and there.

I was GOP for over 34 yrs. , and I RAN from them in 2008 when the TeaNuts highjacked my proud parents GOP, and I vow never to return!

Independent in NV

June 30, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. mcfx

Let me get this straight. A 67 year old Awnry White Grandma who has been a Washington and Liberal Elitest since the 90's who thinks "dead broke" is coming out of the White House with 5 homes and calls doesn't consider her family "truly wealthy" when she makes $200,000 per speaking engagement can "RELATE" with an America whose economy, thanks to Obama, is stagnant with high unemployment/underemployment and bordering on another recession. I'm not sure where the HECK they are polling but I'd never trust a poll coming out of NBC.

June 30, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

tom l

"Greed drives everything, tom. Hobby Lobby had a less than stellar record on providing health benefits for their employees."
    =====
    There goes Rudy just saying things and thinking he's not going to be called out for his "misstatements". So, please tell me about their "less than stellar record". I haven't seen any complaints anywhere with regards to their "less than stellar record". So when you reply with the list showing "their less than stellar record" perhaps you can tell me how "greed" has played a part in this. So Hobby Lobby generally pays twice minimum wage to their employees. If they are all about "greed" then why would they do that?
    ---------------------------------------–
    I've already answered your question, tom. Twice You have yet to answer mine. Why would Hobby Lobby not object to one form of birth control until the ACA was passed? Why does Hobby Lobby currently pay for some types of birth control without complaint, if birth control is against their religious beliefs?

I've heard the argument made that if employees don't like their employer's terms and conditions, then they can go work someplace else. The same can apply to Hobby Lobby. If they don't like the laws in this country, then they have the freedom to take their business elsewhere.

June 30, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. TLORop

Better than any republican I know of. But I really don't think she plans on running. She is a distraction and the GOP has fallen for it hook line and sinker.

June 30, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. JCal

Hillary CAN'T relate! She has been in a bubble (Arkansas governor's mansion, White House, Senate, now multi-millionaire) for most of her adult life. Then again, she can't seem to relate to people at all. It's not what she does say – it's what she doesn't say that worries me.

June 30, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. CryBabies

HC can't give you the straight...she has to spin. Her wealth situation is good example. I'm tired of being lied to by politicians on both sides of the isle. Go away Hillary and become a doting grandma. Maybe somebody ethical will float to the surface.

June 30, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Ned Nederlander

------------------------------–
    Here's another one, Wake Up.

June 30, 2014 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. DRJJ

A former Walmart attorney and career politician that's already risen to the level of incompetence with a husband we can't trust? Thanks for your service, we can do better.

June 30, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. 101 Wild Turkey

The Clintons are a pair of political operatives who have an insatiable lust for power. Its not like they really stand for anything...other than what helps them get elected.
    I heard someone say recently that there is a difference between the two of them. Bill Clinton has a knack for making people feel like he understands them. On the other hand, Hillary Clinton is like the lady in the library who is always telling everyone to be quiet.

June 30, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. it must be said

Who cares about relating to people! Americans serving their country trusted her with their lives. They made a big mistake because they are now dead. And then to top it off, Hillary Clinton lied about it and covered it up. No flippin' way I would vote for somebody like this for President.

June 30, 2014 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. 2Km from Ground Zero

She's great! She's not perfect, so go ahead and highlight flaws, but she's smart and talented and she's going to be a fine president.

June 30, 2014 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

@ tom I

But I did answer your question. Twice. Apparently my answer doesn't agree with how you thought I should reply.

June 30, 2014 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Gig 'em

CNN) – "Despite recent fumbles on the state of her personal wealth, a new national survey shows more than half of respondents believe Hillary Clinton can relate to average Americans......."

You've got to be kidding me. What has this woman experienced, in the last 35 to 40 years, that puts her anywhere near the life of an average American?

June 30, 2014 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Tony in STL

Can we see a similar poll on any potential republican presidential candidate? How they relate to "average" Americans.

June 30, 2014 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |