July 1st, 2014
4 weeks ago

Obama jokes about 'crack' pies

Washington (CNN) - You don't hear this every day at the White House.

President Barack Obama praised retiring White House executive pastry chef Bill Yosses as the "Crustmaster" for his delicious pies, at an event Monday to celebrate LGBT Pride Month.

"We call Bill the "Crustmaster', because his pies, I don't know what he does, whether he puts crack in them," joked the President, as the crowd laughed.

A straight faced first lady Michelle Obama quickly responded "no he doesn't. There is no crack in our pies."

The President, who has a sweet tooth, went on to say that the pies made an immediate impact on his health, sharing the story of his first physical after he moved into the White House.

"My cholesterol shot up," the President said. "And the doctor was like, what happened?"

"And I thought, it's the pie! It's the pie! So we had to establish like a really firm rule about no pie during the week," Obama added.

The President also said that Yosses is "a man who's made life at the White House very sweet."

Yosses is leaving the White House after seven years to work on a new food literacy project to teach young children and adults about healthier eating habits.

Obama thanks gay college professor at W.H. LGBT Pride event

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Javier says:
    July 1, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am
    If he was a white politician, “crack pies” would have been called racist by Cummings and the rest of the race team.
    I can appreciate the presidents jab at humor and I know he was just trying to reach out to his voting contingency – but not so sure this was appropriate.

So it would have been better had he said meth pies?? You nobodies are pathetic. It was a joke. One I would have found funny even if Bush had said it. I agree with him. Some food is addictive.

You nobodies will find anything to complain about this POTUS about. Pathetic little people that won't accomplish 1/100th of what President Obama has

July 1, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

tom l wrote:

I don't get it. I guess this was one of those comments to you that you had to sit back and ponder and you didn't like the answer so you decided to throw out what must be some sort of insult but I really don't know. So, I'll ask again and hope you can answer my questions.
    ---------------------
    "I don't get it." Priceless. Seeing how you never answer questions, what makes you think that you deserve answers. Besides, your question was too hypocritical to answer. You assume that I dislike 50% of government because they are Republicans. You claim to dislike BOTH Republicans and Democrats, which by logic means that you dislike nearly 100% of government. Look in the mirror and ask yourself your own question first, tom.

BTW, only 3 in 10 people identify themselves as Republicans, 3 in 10 identity as Democrats, leaving 4 in 10 who identify as independents.

July 1, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Unstunned

Like as educated as he is supposed to be, like I don't know, like he should know how to speak like one. Check out the interview in the like latest Parade Magazine. It has an interview with like the Prez and hiz gal. It is like wow it was the pie!! Like it is like hard to read without going like wow, where did he graduate from? It cracked me up for a nano seconded but as I read and they talked about their core belief system I became a bit, well like incredulous.

July 1, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  4. truth squad

We all know if GWBush had said this the left media would have this on the top of the page, and be faux out-raged for weeks. As it is CNN buries it at the bottom of the page, ABC, NBC and CBS all don't even mention it on their web-pages.

Remember, Bush did a great think visiting troops in Iraq during Thanksgiving and all the networks spent 2 weeks bashing him because their was a "fake" turkey on a table that he posed with some troops.

July 1, 2014 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Dimetreus Mitchell

All these people have negative comments about an innocent joke. Its a joke get over it. Anything to bash the Leader of the United States. He can't be too bad America didnt vote him in once they voted him in for a second term. Hahaha!!! If you support your leader as much as you attack him America could work together and better country. I guess its true IGNORANCE IS BLISS to most...

July 1, 2014 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. TheGerman

Based on this guys policies and all the scandals, including using the IRS as a political weapon, I don't doubt this guy has been eating quite a lot of crack pies.

July 1, 2014 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Marty

I often think of the childhood tale "The Emperor has no cloths".

July 1, 2014 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. Ileana

maybe it's not a joke at all...

July 1, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. Sean

It goes to show you where his humor lies. How can you make a joke of this epidemic that affects a large part of our population. It's like the President is promoting crack. You can't make jokes that his failed HHS Secretary and Drug Czar are failing to control.

July 1, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Josh

So everyone has a problem with him saying crack pie....lol This is why American's are so ignorant, worried about something like that when there is real problems going on.

July 1, 2014 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. TommytheT

with the crack problem in the US, sorry not funny and very un-presidential. But hey any more cool trumps professionalism with our Executive Branch

July 1, 2014 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. MRS. J. B0NER

I think that comment was HILARIOUS! I couldn't stop laughing. Not only does our President run this country, sing, etc...But know he can add comedian to his repertoire as well ;-)

July 1, 2014 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  13. odalice feliz

what a funny joke, geez people get a sense of humor.

July 1, 2014 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. kenman14

Wow, you just can NEVER let this clown go before the public without his teleprompter!

July 1, 2014 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. Brian in DC

Hopefully Obama just dies tomorrow and goes away. What a joke of a President and the fools that voted are complete imbeciles.

July 1, 2014 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. Getoverit

Awwwww. What a cute story, but CNN usually puts the fluff distraction pieces front and center. I wonder what happened.

July 1, 2014 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. MrManhattan

So has Ollie North gotten into the baking business?

July 1, 2014 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  18. Chippy55

Here's my opinion: He had to make a joke about "crack pies" because someone over heard him saying something, "Go get my crack pipe" and now he can innocently explain that away with a wave of his hand and say, "Wha?! Oh, they must have misheard me, I was talking about the "crack pie".

July 1, 2014 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  19. labman57

Obama is the guy with the flashlight, making its light beam jump around on the wall ... and right wingers are the marble-brained cats, cluelessly trying to pounce on the dancing spot of illumination.

July 1, 2014 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  20. Andrew

I Don't understand why people have to bring race into a funny comment. It's that whining person that insists if it was a white person it would be racism. GET OVER IT! The person asking where he was educated. ITs Harvard Law where he was the president of the Law review!
    Obama 2016 ...lol I know about term limits before I get a comment from a fake news viewer

July 2, 2014 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  21. Anonymous

piemaster crack, or crackmasteer pie ?

July 2, 2014 01:52 am at 1:52 am |