July 2nd, 2014
2 months ago

White House predicts U.S. World Cup win in 2030

(CNN) - Only 16 more years to go.

That's how long the White House predicted it would take for the U.S. Men's National Soccer team to bring home a major victory, like the World Cup.

"It is not too hard to imagine that maybe in 2030, for example, there might be a U.S. Men's National Soccer team that comes to the White House to celebrate an achievement of some kind," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

President Barack Obama and his administration applauded efforts by the U.S. team in Brazil after Belgium finally ended United States' World Cup dream with a 2-1 victory on Tuesday.

Earnest added: "I suspect that when you are talking to those players they may harken back to being eight or ten or 12 years old and having watched the 2014 men's national team and that they'll remember the performance of people like Tim Howard, and Julian Green and Omar Gonzalez and Graham Zusi – that these players who performed so well this year served as an inspiration to the next generation of American soccer players."

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Silence DoGood

The first thing an evil dictator does is applaud a soccer team.
    2030 – that will be around the time the GOP recovers from it's unholy relationship with the TP.

July 2, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Dave

W.H.also predicts that Obama will have approval numbers above 45% by 2030 as well.

July 2, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Yolanda,

You asked what I thought her accomplishments as a Senator were. First and foremost, she made a concerted effort to visit every county and get to know problems at a local level. As a result, she won counties that had been traditional GOP strongholds for generations. That is what a good public servant does. Second, if you examine her votes in the Senate and the reasons why she made them, they were generally based on sound information, and not ideology, She was not the darling of the left wing of the party because she made a concerted effort to base her votes on the merits. She also made a point of listening to her colleagues in the Senate to the point where her nomination to be Secretary of State was virtually assured, despite losing the nomination to Obama. Bottom line is that she was an effective voice for NY without lurching into the type of ideological battles that are all too easy to fall into. People forget the credibility she gave Obama when she became Secretary of State: what people ignore is that her credibility was established by winning 2 races for the Senate, and, because of that work, she still remains the overwhelming favorite to win in 2 years. If people want solutions instead of ideology, she will win, hands down.

July 2, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. smith

The US isn't the best at everything but are melting pot inspires other nations. Europe and South America own the World Cup, for now.

July 2, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  5. Tommy G

The Real Tom Paine
    ---

No, people don't forget it, because it never happened. Hillary Clinton had no foreign policy credentials whatsoever.

And winning a Senate seat in New York (THE BLUEST OF BLUE STATES) as a Democrat gives nobody any "credibility".

Where do you people get this stuff? All Hillary Clinton has ever had going for her was her last name, and the fact she was the wife of a former President. And she's made millions and millions of dollars because of it. Does done quite well for herself considering she's never really accomplished anything. Dare I say, an empty Pants Suit?

July 2, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. The Real Tom Paine

Oooh, Dave made a funny! Does he get more opt-out points that he can redeem at the next Ayn Rand Festival?

July 2, 2014 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Tom l

Very proud to be represented by this fine group of hard working players. They are what America is all about.

July 2, 2014 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. it must be said

We won't win it in 2030. By then the Democrats will have turned this country into a bankrupt third world back water. Our best players will be looking to go elsewhere.

July 2, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Tony D

The Real Tom Paine
    --–

How is this in any way, shape or form an "accomplishment"? She accomplished putting mileage on a vehicle but that is about all. This is the same tripe you lefties post about her travels around the globe on her 4 year vacation tour that we paid for. Absolutely nothing of substance was accomplished there either.

July 2, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

So, the WH makes a prediction that our country can win the World Cup by 2030, and this naturally brings out the worst in our conservative colleagues. Anything to opt-out, that's the new GOP mantra.

July 2, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Ling

I guess all the czars voted over tea and caviar. Glad they are working on important issues??

July 2, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. excuse my rant

I'd love to do a Venn Diagram of the people on this post going off on the President compared to the people agreeing with Ann Coulter's anti-soccer rant. Although, it could be a boring Venn Diagram as there is potential that the two overlap perfectly.

July 2, 2014 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. smith

Tom l

Co-signed!
    oops, that should have been our melting pot.

July 2, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

President Romney and House Minority Leader Cantor approve this message......

July 2, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

Tommy G

The Real Tom Paine

=============================================================
    Hillary Clinton quite likely knows more heads of state on a first name basis than the entire Republican Party.

July 2, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

Its interesting that when anyone, regardless of political leanings, attempts to make a thoughtful, personal observation free of political cheap shots, immediately they are set upon by people who deride their observations as stupid, misinformed, or treasonous. I provided my own personal observations about Hillary as a senator, whom I was not thrilled to have as a Senator. She turned out to be very good at her job because she went about her job as a serious, thoughtful person who was interested in doing the best job she could. DId I think she would run? Certainly I did, but if you asked me if I would have voted for her in 2001, or even 2005, I would have said no. I did not vote for her in the Presidential primary, either, because I did not want a repeat of her husband's presidency. However, given the poor quality of candidates and the utter lack of ideas I see coming from the Right, which has cut itself off from the values of the GOP my father belonged to, I see her as the best candidate. My perspective is my own, and I will not denigrate anyone who offers a similar story about their candidate. Learning the job and executing it well without ego is not tripe. Her accomplishments are her own, and given the fact that W would never have been elected governor of TX, much less President without his dad's network, I find criticism of Hillary based on her name to be an incredible act of gall.

July 2, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

@tom l,

here, here.

July 2, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I see the GOP mods are on this afternoon.... Can't say anything negative about the GOP only the POTUS.

FIFY!

July 2, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Ol' Yeller

Go team US! Hold your head up and be proud.

July 2, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Silence DoGood

@Tony D
    The Real Tom Paine
    ––

-------------
    Clinton – "get to know problems at a local level"
    GOP – just say no to everything without regard to the People they represent
    Tea Party – my preacher or my invented history of the US told me so

I'll choose Clinton's guide of the People, and I vote.

July 2, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. CryBabies

Lets discuss REAL news!

July 2, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Rick McDaniel

Obama can't resist trying to make himself into someone grandiose........if no other way, making an outrageous prediction.

July 2, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

This is our team. We should be thrilled they did as well as they did, and, hopefully, this an indication of things to come.

July 2, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

FIFY!
    --------------------
    I'd agree with that conclusion. They haven't let me debunk anyone except for one person. Guess who? It's like someone wants to see blood, sweat, and tears. Polite, dignified posts never make the cut. You have to be in character.

July 2, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. The Real Tom Paine

@CryBabies, this is news, or do you have a problem with the fact our team did so well?

July 2, 2014 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |