Poll: Obama gets thumbs up and thumbs down on Iraq
July 3rd, 2014
3 weeks ago

Poll: Obama gets thumbs up and thumbs down on Iraq

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush gets more blame than his successor in the White House for the situation in Iraq, according to a new national poll which also indicates that majority of voters nationwide say President Barack Obama's move to withdraw all U.S. troops from Iraq in 2011 was the right thing to do.

But a Quinnipiac University survey released Thursday also indicates voters give Obama negative grades on how he's handling the current unrest in war torn Iraq.

The poll also indicates that most say it's not in the national interest to get involved in the fighting in Iraq and oppose sending U.S. ground troops to help the Iraqi government, which is trying to hault an aggressive drive by radical Sunni militants who have captured city after city in northern and central Iraq as they march towards Baghdad.

Did a U.S. woman try to help Islamic militants in Iraq?

By a 51%-27% margin, voters blame Bush rather than Obama for the situation in Iraq, but they are divided on whether Obama's better than Bush when it comes to conducting foreign policy.

Fifty-eight percent of those questioned say Obama's decision to withdraw all U.S troops from Iraq four years ago was the right thing to do, but that's down from 74% who said the same thing as the withdrawal was being completed in November 2011.

But by a 55%-37% margin, voters disapprove of the way the President's handling the situation in Iraq. (He also gets a thumbs down on how he's dealing with Afghanistan.) A CBS News/New York Times poll conducted two weeks ago indicated that a plurality of Americans said the President had the appropriate response so far to the new fighting in Iraq.

Fifty-eight percent of those questioned in the new poll say it's not in the national interest to get involved in Iraq - but more than seven in ten say it's "very likely" or "somewhat likely" that if Islamic militants take over Iraq, "they would launch a terrorist attack against the U.S. in the near future."

More than six in ten – including a majority from all political parties, gender and age groups – oppose sending U.S. ground troops back into Iraq, but the poll suggests votes are more open to air strikes and especially the use of unmanned drones. By a 51%-39% margin, voters don't want Washington working with Iran to help the government in Baghdad.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted June 24-30, with 1,446 registered voters nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.6 percentage points.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story

Filed under: Iraq • Poll • President George W. Bush • President Obama
  1. B.

We should never gone there in the first place as Bush and Co. were warned in the beginning!

Bush’s legacy will be upsetting the middle east by installing incompetent people on a impossible endeavor and wasting
    untold blood and treasure on all sides involved!

What a travesty committed be arrogant and stupid people that should be tried by an international court.

July 3, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. CryBabies

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy....Have a sense of humor for Gods sake! They joke alot on FNC and I would be curious what show you were watching and WHO said such a silly thing. LOL

July 3, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

"BTW. What are MRE's? I'm too lazy to look it up. Besides, I might get it wrong."
    --–
    MRE's = Meals Ready to EAT.

Don't worry, Rudy... you were just mistaken about the one time you thought you were wrong.
    =========================================================
    Oh! Well gee, Fair, doesn't that mean that I was right?

I'm pretty sure that those MREs for rebel fighters were proposed but were never actually delivered. It is too hard to tell the one faction from another. There are literally hundreds of them by some reports, armed bands of up to 100 men.

July 3, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  4. Fair is Fair

"Good. Now that we've cleared that up, how was Bush's handling of the Georgian invasion any different from how Pres. Obama has handled the evolving crisis in Crimea and Ukraine?"
    ---------
    No different whatsoever. So if you're going to bash Bush's handing of the scenario, you'd have to bash Obama's as well. AND... if you're going to praise Obama's handling of the scenario, you'd have to praise Bush's as well.

July 3, 2014 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. smith

@Rudy-Both the Dems and Repubs have wanted to militarly aid the anti- Assad forces. Btw, nightvision, body armor, and other logistical equipment are military aid. Which Im against. Obama just asked congress for more funding in Syria.

July 3, 2014 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

---
    ==========================================================
    There you go again. Making the natural mistake of judging other people's actions by what you would do in their place. I didn't bash Bush. If I did, then please show me where. I simply asked how were Bush's actions against Putin's aggression any different from Obama's actions against Putin's aggression. Answer, they've been nearly identical.

July 3, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

smith

-------------------------
    You're confabulating in your alternate reality again, smith. Name the Democrats, then. Please, make sure that they are elected officials, or at least held an elected office more significant that Mayor of Weasella.

July 3, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Really??

And the official ruling is? Obama – worst Pres. since WWII.
    I guess CNN needed some jingling keys for all you Obamanites.

July 3, 2014 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. CryBabies

@ Rudy...The day before the 4th of July....I've got time on my hands. C'mon, who on FNC said President Obama not being in Brazil was the cause of our WC loss and what show was it? If you wan't to throw that stuff out there, give us facts .

July 3, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. smith

@Rudy- I`ll name two right off my head-Obama(last time I checked he was a Dem) and Sen. Bob Casey.

July 3, 2014 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. grahame rhodes

OK fine, then send your sons and daughters into that hell hole and for what? Obama did the right thing or do you want another 40'000 US troops killed or maimed for life. This, if you care to remember and the fact that the Amercian people were sold a lie. because it was all about weapons of mass destruction.
    HA!

July 3, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. somebody

< CryBabies
    < Rudy, Rudy, Rudy....Have a sense of humor for Gods sake! They joke alot on FNC
    < and I would be curious what show you were watching and WHO said such a silly
    < thing. LOL

Yes. FNC is a joke.

July 3, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. Anonymous

CryBabies
    -–

Even if it was said it is an obvious joke or sarcasm. I guess Rudy just believes everything he hears and doesn't know or understand humor or sarcasm. That would sure explain a lot of his postings.

July 3, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. Fair is Fair

CryBabies

----------
    He has no facts. He was "being sarcastic". That's Rudy-code for "I got called out again".

July 3, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

CryBabies

------------------------------
    I don't know their names by heart. It was one of the four women who sit on that big, white, curved couch.

July 3, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Really?? says:
    July 3, 2014 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm
    And the official ruling is? Obama – worst Pres. since WWII.
    I guess CNN needed some jingling keys for all you Obamanites.

Official? So 1400 people speak for the entire country? Just remember these are the same people that predicted a Romney Presidency in a landslide.... Guess they were wrong.... Had the poor guy looking like an even bigger loser with no concession speech prepared and caused poor Queenie to nearly have a nervous breakdown. 😃😃😃 I still get such a kick when I look at 2012 election night coverage. For some twisted reason I hear the voice of Nancy Kerrigan after the Tonya Harding incident.... "Why? Why? Why?"☺️☺️☺️☺️

July 3, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. patNY

As for that Obama Worst President since WWII poll....the poll is based on junk polling highly partisan science. Almost ALL Republicans when asked, stated Reagan was the best, and Obama was the worst, while Dems split their votes somewhat evenly among the past Democratic presidents for best president, and evenly among the past Republicans for worst president. THIS means, that Republicans only have ! Republican president they are proud of, while Dems have several they are proud of, and ALL Republicans REALLY hate Obama. Not much of a poll my friends!

July 3, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

CryBabies

----
    ===================================================================
    Trust me, someone over there did say it. I remember that it was a female host.

July 3, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. Kerr

Really??

And the official ruling is? Obama – worst Pres. since WWII.
    I guess CNN needed some jingling keys for all you Obamanites.
    ++++++++++++++++++

He isn't finished yet but it looks pretty bleak for Obama, I would say so far him being the worst is a fair assessment. With all his blunders, misrepresentations, and lack of leadership its still pretty hard to screw up the US so we will survive. Yesterday was classic Obama – I'm a VICTIM. Sad. For God sakes he the President of the US.

July 3, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

CryBabies

----
    ================================================================
    It does seem to have been a joke made during the interview with a Dr. Ablow.

July 3, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. Chris..E.al

@ IF Bill Clinton had not have been so bee zee in The W.H. and would have killed 0 Bin Laden when he was offered on a silver platter they wouldnt have been no 911 or these 2 wars that you dems blame on who ? More leading from behind . Its a dem thing ?

July 3, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  22. LAW

Stop the blaming and own it. It's Obama who so arrogant that running away with your tail in between policy does not work, terrorist are here to stay, America is the home of the brave not the home of the coward

July 3, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. Really??

Obama only needed to manipulate the unemployment numbers, use the IRS as a bully and Lie about Benghazi to be placed back in the White House. hmmmmm, doesn't sound like a win for America or for the rest of the world as it buns down around us because of a weak pathetic excuse of a community organizer.
    Labor participation rate as low as in 1978 (62.8%).... but let's not wallow in facts. how revolting.

July 3, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. Bigwilliestyles

I sure do wonder how a man as incompetent as President Obama made it to the highest office in the world (twice), while untold numbers of right wing experts-on-everything are only able to mae it to blog pages? Anyone?

July 3, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  25. Silence DoGood

Bush: 9/11 missing intelligence, made mess, invaded wrong country, lied about it, 4000 US soldiers died
    Obama – cleaned it up, brought troops home, terrorists died instead of US folks
    Thank you Mr.President