Bloomberg gun group gives candidates litmus test
July 6th, 2014
11:41 PM ET
3 weeks ago

Bloomberg gun group gives candidates litmus test

Updated 2:23 p.m. ET, 7/7/2014

Washington (CNN) – The group formed by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is trying to pressure political candidates to come out publicly in support of some gun control measures.

Everytown for Gun Safety on Monday released a questionnaire it’s sending to candidates as it decides which ones to support in this year's midterm elections.

This questionnaire and the hiring of field staff in more than a dozen key states are the result of Bloomberg’s pledge in April to spend $50 million this election year to help support candidates who will back further gun control efforts and to combat the politically powerful National Rifle Association.

Among the issues his group will ask candidates about include one of its priorities: closing the so-called gun show loophole where not everyone who buys a gun at a show must undergo a background check.

Other issues it asks about include tightening possession restrictions on domestic abusers, prosecuting gun traffickers and preventing access by children to guns, according to a copy of the questionnaire.

“Now it is time for political candidates to tell us where they stand,” John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, told reporters Monday on a conference call.

“For too long candidates only heard from the gun lobby.”

As it decides whether to endorse candidates, the NRA gives them letter grades based on a private survey as well as their records. Group officials told CNN they believe history has shown loyalty is not just based on how much money is spent trying to build loyalty.

“The power of the NRA does not come from the questionnaires we send to people who are running,” spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.

“The power of the NRA comes from our 5 million plus dues paying members.”

It is expected that by early fall the NRA will have made all of its mid-term endorsements.

As a political force, Everytown is trying to match the success seen by the NRA.

Everytown officials acknowledge gun control advocates need to do a better job of mobilizing their supporters and say this year’s election will begin to show whether they can succeed.

This year will be the “first chance… not (the) last chance,” senior adviser Mitch Stewart told reporters.

Stewart is a veteran of the Obama 2008 and 2012 campaigns. He said this effort will be data and metrics-driven, similar to what he oversaw in those campaigns. To help bolster its ranks of volunteers, help identify and communicate with voters who are supporters and to help mobilize their turnout at the polls, Everytown is hiring field staff in more than a dozen politically key states, including Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia.

Group officials said the questionnaire is part one of their Gun Sense Voter Campaign, which is trying to mobilize one million Americans to vote in the midterms for those candidates who pledge to support gun safety measures. They say so far more than 650,000 have signed.

While polls have shown a majority of Americans support stricter background checks, the Senate last year failed to pass that as well as other measures despite the emotional fallout from the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting and a strong push for the measures from the White House.


Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Michael Bloomberg • New York • NRA • Political
soundoff (90 Responses)
  1. rs

    Tom l
    Hilarious. Purity test alert!

    ____________
    Why not, Tom? It scares the snot out of GOP candidates when the NRA (or any other cause) uses it- it's a great ploy- put the candidate on record.

    July 7, 2014 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. rs

    A full 40% of gun sales occur between individuals, or at gun shows where no background checks are performed. If we wish to be serious about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, and the crazy, this is a necessary step. Why the NRA goes to the wall to protect the rights of the crazy or the criminal (and their GOP pawns with them) is completely illogical- especially when 90% of Americans including many NRA members want such a change.

    July 7, 2014 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. tom l

    rs

    Tom l
    Hilarious. Purity test alert!

    ____________
    Why not, Tom? It scares the snot out of GOP candidates when the NRA (or any other cause) uses it- it's a great ploy- put the candidate on record.
    ===============

    So, to be clear, when the repubs have a "purity test" someone like rs goes nuts and calls them ideologues or something like that yet he's perfectly fine with a "purity test" when his side does it. And now he's on record demonstrating his hypocrisy because he has railed against repubs for having the Grover Norquist pledge and all other pledges of a similar nature yet it's totally cool when his side has one because, well, you know, THIS is a great ploy.

    July 7, 2014 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

    tom l wrote:

    So this guy is trying to buy an election and has a "purity test" yet the gang will be in full support of this because, well, it's their side so obviously it is good and wonderful in their eyes.
    ---------------------–
    Tom l wrote:

    Hilarious. Purity test alert!
    ----------------------
    I think it is shameful the way someone spoofs tom's avatar name. They even talk just like tom would, saying the identical things that tom might say. As far as purity tests go, I suppose that tom may have forgotten about how Grover Nohrquist has spent the last two decades having conservatives sign pledges, which is far worse than a mere questionnaire.

    July 7, 2014 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  5. Spike

    Bloomberg the nanny-state narcissist should buy himself a deserted island somewhere & go die a slow, lonely death... Then he can stop worrying about everyone else's business...

    July 7, 2014 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

    Jim

    I had to use my hand gun today to scare off a brown bear that was attacking a woman with her two year old son. What would have happened if AK. had gun control?
    ------------------------------–
    Uh. You would have used your hand gun to scare off a bear that was attacking a woman with her two year old son.

    July 7, 2014 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. kool aid man

    Oh the ignorance, w already put in place the government taking your guns thing, then once they round up all the registered guns, and arrest or kill most owners in the process, the only ones with guns left will be the cops and the crooks, nice huh? Oh, and "law abiding citizens", or donors, as you will. Why the cukoo righties just don't do a little research, and come to the inevitable conclusion, they are going to make your life worse and worse, little by little, one right at a time, but hey, you both hate Obama, and that's what really matters......sigh.......

    July 7, 2014 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

    kool aid man

    Oh the ignorance, w already put in place the government taking your guns thing, then once they round up all the registered guns, and arrest or kill most owners in the process, the only ones with guns left will be the cops and the crooks, nice huh? Oh, and "law abiding citizens", or donors, as you will. Why the cukoo righties just don't do a little research, and come to the inevitable conclusion, they are going to make your life worse and worse, little by little, one right at a time, but hey, you both hate Obama, and that's what really matters......sigh.......
    -------------------
    The fears of a clown.

    July 7, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. tom l

    Rudy NYC

    tom l wrote:

    So this guy is trying to buy an election and has a "purity test" yet the gang will be in full support of this because, well, it's their side so obviously it is good and wonderful in their eyes.
    -------–
    Tom l wrote:

    Hilarious. Purity test alert!
    --------
    I think it is shameful the way someone spoofs tom's avatar name. They even talk just like tom would, saying the identical things that tom might say. As far as purity tests go, I suppose that tom may have forgotten about how Grover Nohrquist has spent the last two decades having conservatives sign pledges, which is far worse than a mere questionnaire.
    =====

    Thank you for elaborating on my point of the hypocrisy of the gang because I have no such issue whatsoever with signing of "pledges" yet many, many members of the gang certainly have talked about their issues and complaints about a "pledge".

    I will reiterate that I have no problem with the pledge and find it to be a perfectly fine tool for the voters to use yet the gang has complained about Grover Norquist and his pledges. Again, thanks Rudy for pointing out the hypocrisy of the gang for complaining about such pledges from the repubs yet are in full support of this. Oh, and we don't even have to discuss about "buying an election" because we've already shown on multiple occasions the hypocrisy of the gang on that issue, as well, with their full support of Bloomberg and Tom Steyer.

    July 7, 2014 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. Fair is Fair

    Rudy NYC

    The real problem is that government is no longer for the people because it isn't run by the people. Government is run by the money from special interests, special interests like the NRA.
    ----------
    And the NEA, NARAL, SEIU, UAW... but you conveniently only rag on the NRA. Figures.

    July 7, 2014 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Lizzie

    MMECitizen
    In other words, if you are an NRA member or a person who agrees with the 2nd amendment Bloomberg will set his goons on you if you run for office. Democrat intimidation ...par for the course. "If you are not in lock step with us we will destroy you." Why not let Americans chose their own candidates without the intimidation of the far left and the far right.
    -- is that not what democrats and liberals do best INTIMIDATE, if your not with us your against us, thus need to be destroyed, mostly with lies.

    July 7, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

    tom l

    Rudy NYC

    tom l wrote:

    So this guy is trying to buy an election and has a "purity test" yet the gang will be in full support of this because, well, it's their side so obviously it is good and wonderful in their eyes.
    ---–
    Tom l wrote:

    Hilarious. Purity test alert!
    --–
    I think it is shameful the way someone spoofs tom's avatar name. They even talk just like tom would, saying the identical things that tom might say. As far as purity tests go, I suppose that tom may have forgotten about how Grover Nohrquist has spent the last two decades having conservatives sign pledges, which is far worse than a mere questionnaire.
    =====

    Thank you for elaborating on my point of the hypocrisy of the gang because I have no such issue whatsoever with signing of "pledges" yet many, many members of the gang certainly have talked about their issues and complaints about a "pledge".

    I will reiterate that I have no problem with the pledge and find it to be a perfectly fine tool for the voters to use yet the gang has complained about Grover Norquist and his pledges.
    =========================================================
    No one is complaining about Norquist and his pledges. We are pointing out your hypocrisy for complaining about a survey to be sent to politicians of both parties, not just one. If you have no complaint or problem with Norquist's pledges, then why have you characterized a survey as a "purity test"? In other words, people how live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

    July 7, 2014 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. Rudy NYC

    Fair is Fair

    Rudy NYC

    The real problem is that government is no longer for the people because it isn't run by the people. Government is run by the money from special interests, special interests like the NRA.
    ----
    And the NEA, NARAL, SEIU, UAW... but you conveniently only rag on the NRA. Figures.
    ======================================================================
    Uh, the article is about guns, Fair. The influence of the NRA is what Bloomberg is fighting against. How consistent for you to rag on unions, though. What's your excuse? I know, you're a conservative.

    July 7, 2014 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Patrick

    Mental health crisis disguised as a gun control crisis.

    July 7, 2014 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. ElWarbo

    So basically, instead of paying attention to what a candidate is saying, Bloomy wants them to fill out a form so he doesn't have to be bothered with actually researching issues. So like him to deliberately avoid being informed.

    Nice to know, though, that you could take pretty much any crazy position on any other issue and he'll vote for you as long you support his gun control measures. And why not? This guy tried to ban extra large sodas. Who is he to judge anyone's ludicrous policies?

    July 7, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Rudy NYC

    Patrick

    Mental health crisis disguised as a gun control crisis.
    ----------------------------
    FYI, the NRA is against mental health checks during background checks.
    FYI, the right wing has no solutions, not even for what they have identified as the problem, mental health.

    July 7, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. HenryMiller

    "We are working to support candidates who will vote for common-sense laws to reduce gun violence."

    Define "common sense."

    July 7, 2014 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  18. HenryMiller

    "Why the NRA goes to the wall to protect the rights of the crazy or the criminal (and their GOP pawns with them) is completely illogical..."

    It's a simple matter of distrust. The rabid anti-gun crowd have so poisoned the discussion that it's become impossible to trust them, given a centimetre, not to try to take a kilometre.

    July 7, 2014 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. mtms42000

    The myth that 40% of gun sales are private transfers and don't get a background check is from a study does of 200 gun owners PRIOR TO BACKGROUND CHECKS BEING REQUIRED!

    Over 20 years ago!! The real number is closer to 4% and the vast majority of these are intra family transfers. People just aren't selling guns to others willy nilly. This is a scare tactic used to mislead the uninformed.

    "Universal" background checks are simply the next step needed for registration because without a registry the law would be unenforceable. How would police know if a gun was transferred without a NICS check unless they had a list of who owns what to reference.

    Don't be fooled by the Liberal naming game, "Common sense" gun reform. In case you haven't noticed, they're great at giving innocuous sounding names to terrible ideas. Woman's reproductive rights, undocumented immigrants, affordable care act.....it's all BS

    They try to turn whatever they can into a health or environmental issue to appeal to people that don't understand the facts or details. It's disingenuous, lies.....

    July 7, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. mtms42000

    Why aren't liberals as mad at Bloomberg for trying to buy elections as they are at the Koch brothers? Hypocrisy?

    July 7, 2014 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Rudy NYC

    ElWarbo

    So basically, instead of paying attention to what a candidate is saying, Bloomy wants them to fill out a form so he doesn't have to be bothered with actually researching issues. So like him to deliberately avoid being informed.
    -------------------------------–
    Only in the twisted logic of the right wing would conducting a survey be not considered as research. I am getting tired of asking this question. Do you folks even hear, much less understand, what you say half the time? I mean, it's almost as if it's some sort of rule, that if you don't espouse some sort of hypocrisy, then you have to keep your mouth shut.

    July 7, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Ol' Yeller

    Ahhh, the usual whining from the righties trying to catapult a simple questionairre into a 'purity test' or to place it on par with grover's 'pledge'.... how silly. People who broke the pledge to grover risked being bounced from the party as opposed to this group just attempting to get straight answers from candidates to see who supports common sense gun laws. There is no implied threat here... everyone knew what going against grover meant for your chances of re-election.
    I see tom i is still trying to get his little 'gang' mudslinging scheme to gain traction. I would have hoped he would someday grow out of his compulsion to be seen as the victim, but his being a dyed in the wool republicant ditto head, the chances of his deciding to put on his big boy pants and make a stand using reasonable thought out ideas and well argued points is moot... like all righties, he MUST base his arguments on a skewed ideology and an instinctual urge to somehow paint Dems as worse than republicants in an effort to make this into a lesser of two evils argument, when any person with any compassion and humanity sees the truth of what the republicant party stands for... which is to keep all the power for the wealthy white, elitists.
    Nothing more...

    July 7, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

    HenryMiller

    "We are working to support candidates who will vote for common-sense laws to reduce gun violence."

    Define "common sense."
    ---------------------
    You wouldn't understand.

    July 7, 2014 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  24. Rudy NYC

    mtms42000

    Why aren't liberals as mad at Bloomberg for trying to buy elections as they are at the Koch brothers? Hypocrisy?
    ---------------------------
    You make the false assumption that people should get mad over issues, like conservatives tend to do. Bloomberg is not trying to alter laws in favor of making more profit off of something that he sells. They Kochs do. That's the difference.

    July 7, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

    Lizzie says:
    July 7, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am
    MMECitizen
    In other words, if you are an NRA member or a person who agrees with the 2nd amendment Bloomberg will set his goons on you if you run for office. Democrat intimidation …par for the course. “If you are not in lock step with us we will destroy you.” Why not let Americans chose their own candidates without the intimidation of the far left and the far right.
    —- is that not what democrats and liberals do best INTIMIDATE, if your not with us your against us, thus need to be destroyed, mostly with lies.

    While I have no opinion on this whole gun debate since my right to not be surrounded by guns everywhere I go doesn't count.... I'd like to point out the blatant lies in these statements. Since when have the democrats and liberals said if you're not with us you're against us? That's pure BS. That was the statement made during the last administration that flat out told the public if you are against Bush and his agenda you're a traitor. Ask the Dixie Chicks if anyone can find them. Unfortunately the democrats don't stick together like the GOP. If you don't believe me ask AW. Just as many dems threw him under the bus as republicans. God people if you're going to make statements like that at least make them truthful. How do you people get away with blatant lies???😳😳

    July 7, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
1 2 3 4