July 8th, 2014
2 weeks ago

Coburn: Obama's border funding 'wrong approach,' offers first class seat home to every child

(CNN) – Sen. Tom Coburn said Tuesday he opposes President Barack Obama's request for $3.7 billion in emergency funding to address the influx of unaccompanied minors across the southwest border.

"That's $60,000 per child we will spend, in emergency money," the Oklahoma Republican said on CNN's "Crossfire."

"That shows how incompetent [the government] is."

Coburn said providing additional resources for detention spaces and immigration attorneys to the minors is the "wrong approach."

"We can put them all on a first class seat to their homes, that's $8 million,' he added.

Obama seeks emergency immigration funds, more authority

Instead, Coburn said Congress could in two weeks repeal the law that allows juveniles from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala to stay and apply for asylum instead of facing immediate deportation like Mexican citizens do.

To stem the tide of minors crossing the border, Coburn suggested, "the best signal to slow this down is send them home."

Coburn blamed the whole situation on a laxity of immigration enforcement by the Obama administration.

"You know what is in the craw of Americans? It is not immigration. They don't see our government enforcing our laws," Coburn said.

Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat from Maryland, pushed back on the idea that the immigrants were being given a free pass into the United States.

"They're not being given an opportunity to come to America," he said.

"They're desperate and they're families are making decisions. They're bad decisions. They shouldn't be sending their children here. It's extremely dangerous."

More from Crossfire: Could legalizing marijuana become 'tragedy'?

82 shot in Chicago? That's an outrage

Filed under: 2014 • Crossfire • Immigration • President Obama • Tom Coburn
  1. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Before I can tell you what I would do, I must first knock you folks down off of your high horses, and bring you folks back to Earth and reality. More needs to be done that simply build smith's high tech Wall.
    --------–
    Like I said. You got nothing.

July 9, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. g

while the rest of the world is building ,hospitals,schools,roads and bridges ,land of the free is putting up fences and walls

July 9, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  3. jim

I am old, tired and sick of watching this country go down the tubes for 'political correctness'! If someone was forcing their way into my house against my will, I could defend my home even with lethal means if I felt my life was in danger. This country is my home----do the math.

July 9, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. Jack

Rick: Hitler's book is spelled Mein Kampf (not "Mine Kamph"). Also you need to work a bit harder on forming coherent sentences.

Rudy in NY: 12 foot fences create a demand for 13 foot ladders.

Smitty: President Obama is following the Immigration Doctrine passed by the GOP Congress under President Bush. Deportations are actually up. Also, you might want to look into who Bush's largest individual donors were (consider Pulte Homes' attitude about hiring illegals).

Here in Colorado, Karl Rove's PAC is running anti-Udall ads featuring an college student (an actress) that ignore the fact that the GOP just shot down a bill to lower student loan interest rates to the market level vs. the 9% now being levied. That's your mainstream GOP.

July 9, 2014 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Greg In Arkansas

Build a fence at $1 million a mile and someone will sell ladders at $1 dollar a foot.....any other bright ideas?

July 9, 2014 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Zman

"“Remember when everyone, I’m sure back at the time the gang was loudest, about how president Bush was out of touch when he flee over New Orleans after Katrina but now the gang is perfectly fine with president Obama going to fundraisers instead of personally checking out the border crisis, errrrrrr “situation”? That was awesome.”"
    ___
    There is no way Obama would put himself in that situation. That might put focus on border security. He just goes to Texas for all the oil/gas money that the liberals despise. In and out. Hypocrisy in action.

July 9, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. BLKvotingAmerican

Interesting, how many of these sorry folks offered advice to GW Bush & company when this problem occured? How about UNDOCUMENT people coming to America should be stamped returned to sender, what is the problem with that? If these people want to send their children to America then do so the legal and correct way not just showing up and then expecting some type of treatment that frankly American's do give DOCUMENTED people in this country.

July 9, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Jack wrote:

Rudy in NY: 12 foot fences create a demand for 13 foot ladders.
    ---------------------------------
    Thanks for the reminder. Tell that to smith and the rest of the right wing. You're preaching to the choir with me.

July 9, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

smith
    smith

"@Rudy-Lying about my comments shows a weak rebuttal. I said, "hopping over the fence". I never said I saw videos of people hopping over a wall. Btw, saying that the comparison of climbing a fence to a wall means nothing because they are just words has to be the dumbest rebuttal I have ever heard (Dumb, Dumb, Dumb)."
    -------------------------------------–
    @Rudy-The videos show how EASY it it to cross the border. They do it everyday and will continue to do it until we build a wall. We tax alcohol, tobacco, and pot to pay for it. This also will provide jobs for the border states and will cut down on the drug trade.
    July 8, 2014 04:54 pm

smith

@Rudy-Lmao, really? Your actually saying our border is secure and the videos of people just hopping the fence are fodder. Gimmie a break. Where do you get this from? E.T.? Starman?smh.
    July 8, 2014 03:23 pm

Is smith arguing semantics, wall versus fence?
    Or is smith denying that he ever mentioned videos?
    What difference does it make?

July 9, 2014 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Jack wrote:

Rudy in NY: 12 foot fences create a demand for 13 foot ladders.
    -----------
    --------
    Still waiting for your shining wisdom and solution, Rudy....

July 9, 2014 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Sniffit

Google really doesn't like you, tom...at all. The cost in 2014 for simple chain link fence, including installation and labor, is about $20 PER LINEAR FOOT. A mile is 5,280 linear feet. That means one mile of simple, basic chain link fence like your neighbor uses to keep your raving conservative self from annoying him in his yard costs over $100,000 to build. Are you telling us you'd be satisfied with a 3 foot tall chain link yard fence built from the Gulf to the Pacific? OR perhaps do we need something a bit more, I dunno, taller, less jumpable and a little more imposing? Maybe with razor wire and cameras and other deterrents and monitoring devices, etc.? Your ranting is yet again entirely uninformed and ridiculous.

July 9, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC

smith
    smith

-------------–
    July 8, 2014 04:54 pm

smith

July 8, 2014 03:23 pm

Is smith arguing semantics, wall versus fence?
    Or is smith denying that he ever mentioned videos?
    What difference does it make?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Nicely done Rudy NYC.
    smith? smith??!

July 9, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Sniffit

"Rudy in NY: 12 foot fences create a demand for 13 foot ladders."

Yeah! What we really need is a ceiling all the way over Mexico so they can't climb out!

July 9, 2014 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  14. smith

@Jack-Where did I defend Bush? I called the law he signed stupid. Catch up, your way behind.smh

July 9, 2014 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Fair is Fair
    And instead of kibbitzing everyone else's proposals, why don't you opine on what YOU would do? Answer – you got NOTHING.
    -----------------–
    He actually did Fair and was promptly accused by tom l of doing what the Democrats would do.
    You piggy-backing off of someone else's comnent to predictably slam your boy Rudy and do some kibitzing of your own is typically hypocritical of you hilarious to many of us.
    ===============================================
    Thanks, Mama. I would think Fair would have better sense than to cherry pick people's words, too.

July 9, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. Sniffit

"I am old, tired and sick of watching this country go down the tubes for 'political correctness'! If someone was forcing their way into my house against my will, I could defend my home even with lethal means if I felt my life was in danger. This country is my home--do the math."

False Equivalence Syndrome again. But hey, thanks for proving me right when I tag you guys with the belief that we should just sum up our border policy as "target practice."

July 9, 2014 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

--––
    Like I said. You got nothing.
    ----------------------–
    Like I said, You got it wrong about my cost estimate of smith's "Wall", not fence. The right wing wants perfection. They ain't getting it. Nothing is perfect in the real world. Let's spend a decade and tens of billions of dollars to build smith's high tech Wall. Let's spend billions more per year manning the Wall with the military. Let's not forget the tax cut to pay for it.

I have nothing against the Wall, per se. I just think a construction project that would take years and years to finish fails to address the reality of the here and now.

July 9, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  18. R Davis

Send them to Chicago and they'll want to go back to Guatemala.

July 9, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

–––
    Like I said. You got nothing.
    --------–

--------
    You got nothing = you got no solution. You have no idea what to do but you know everyone else is wrong. Something wrong with that picture, Champ.

July 9, 2014 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  20. Mark

How are thousands of illegals working their way not only into mexico (from central america), but through it and all the way past our borders??

Oh ya, where there is buses waiting for them.

This was all pre-arranged, with no doubt.

So Mexico, who imprisons those who illegally enter their country, did not notice thousands of children? Gang members? Adults?

I hope there is an investigation of who in the U.S. government set all this up. There needs to be some serious jail time for this mess, and I believe the orders came straight from the top. In that case, there would be no choice for anyone but to Impeach Obama. Immediately.

July 9, 2014 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. tom l

Sniffit

DSM-IV needs an entry for something like False Equivalence Syndrome...principle symptomology a delusional inability to recognize when things aren't similar. Your analogies are so consistently broken it's like a comedy show.
    ======

Sure. Just because you say it isn't a good analogy means that it's not a good analogy. Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it's actually a perfect comparison. Both were crises in which the president should show compassion and a desire to learn more by being there so they can better understand the situation and what is taking place. With Bush, he flew over and looked like he didn't want to roll up his sleeves and help. In this case, you have the same thing...a president unwilling to roll up his sleeves and truly understand the dire circumstances. Instead, he chooses to go to a fundraiser and not go there. Not only is it optics, it's just pathetic to think that he believes he is above this and doesn't need to go there and it certainly appears to anybody that isn't a member of the gang that he has chosen to go raise money rather than personally try to get a better understanding of the situation. But whatevs, just keeping saying false equivalency, claim bigotry and go about your ticker day. Don't forget to call me some names while you're at it. That's an important component. I just hope that ol yeller doesn't threaten me with violence again....that was very scary.

July 9, 2014 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Jack wrote:

Rudy in NY: 12 foot fences create a demand for 13 foot ladders.
    ---–
    --–
    Still waiting for your shining wisdom and solution, Rudy....
    ------------------------------
    I favor comprehensive reform over a piece meal approach that never seems to get started, much less finished and done.

July 9, 2014 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. Meese

Don't you think its time to quit the charade with the fence. Liberals want open borders for voters and conservatives want cheap labor so its never going to get done and we all know it. Pointless and destructive on both sides.

July 9, 2014 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. kev

FACT is: These ILLEGALS are gaming the system and all Obama & crew will do (until the elections this fall) is tell them 'stop it'. The FACT is: these folks have figured out a way to 'fast track' themselves INTO the USA. No need to actually be a citizen, as they will get EVERYTHING a citizens gets, minus the right to vote. Big deal, AND the Dems KNOW that eventually (sooner rather that later) these folks WILL get the right to vote, and of course WILL vote D.

July 9, 2014 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

Is smith arguing semantics, wall versus fence?
    Or is smith denying that he ever mentioned videos?
    What difference does it make?
    -----------------–
    Nicely done Rudy NYC.
    smith? smith??!
    =====================================
    Thanks again, Mama. I think we've seen the last of "smith" for a while. Well, at least by that name.

July 9, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |