July 8th, 2014
3 weeks ago

Coburn: Obama's border funding 'wrong approach,' offers first class seat home to every child

(CNN) – Sen. Tom Coburn said Tuesday he opposes President Barack Obama's request for $3.7 billion in emergency funding to address the influx of unaccompanied minors across the southwest border.

"That's $60,000 per child we will spend, in emergency money," the Oklahoma Republican said on CNN's "Crossfire."

"That shows how incompetent [the government] is."

Coburn said providing additional resources for detention spaces and immigration attorneys to the minors is the "wrong approach."

"We can put them all on a first class seat to their homes, that's $8 million,' he added.

Obama seeks emergency immigration funds, more authority

Instead, Coburn said Congress could in two weeks repeal the law that allows juveniles from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala to stay and apply for asylum instead of facing immediate deportation like Mexican citizens do.

To stem the tide of minors crossing the border, Coburn suggested, "the best signal to slow this down is send them home."

Coburn blamed the whole situation on a laxity of immigration enforcement by the Obama administration.

"You know what is in the craw of Americans? It is not immigration. They don't see our government enforcing our laws," Coburn said.

Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat from Maryland, pushed back on the idea that the immigrants were being given a free pass into the United States.

"They're not being given an opportunity to come to America," he said.

"They're desperate and they're families are making decisions. They're bad decisions. They shouldn't be sending their children here. It's extremely dangerous."

More from Crossfire: Could legalizing marijuana become 'tragedy'?

82 shot in Chicago? That's an outrage

Filed under: 2014 • Crossfire • Immigration • President Obama • Tom Coburn
  1. Rudy NYC

Tommy G

Rudy NYC
    -–

Right! Another OBAMACARE type bill, 2,800 pages that nobody reads or understands. NO THANKS! Been there, done that, a total disaster. Never again!!
    ====================================================
    So. Where's the beef? Republicans want a piece meal approach. Where is that first slice of beef? If they really wanted to fix it, which they don't, then why aren't they doing anything about it? Heck, how come they haven't passed a bill funding that Wall they keep talking about? Probably because of the immense price tag that their high tech Wall would carry. They cannot look like the big spenders that they really are, you know.

July 9, 2014 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Thomas

America needs to stop supporting corrupt regimes that continue to use the US as a dumping ground for those they should be responsible .

July 9, 2014 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

smith

@Rudy-The keyword is WALL! not videos. Nice try.
    -----------------------------
    Does this mean that you were busting my chops because I used the word "wall" instead of "fence"?
    Does this mean that since you cannot deny referring to videos, that this is the best you came up with?
    "Nice try, but you gotcha self."

July 9, 2014 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. yeahright

Gunderson
    Owch!,
    This comes under the heading of BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT.

=======

Yes, it sure does. Seeing as how the bill that requires these kids be taken into protective custody and given an immigration hearing was passed in 2000 (Bush) and reauthorized in 2008 (Bush), YOU got exactly what YOU voted for.

July 9, 2014 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. tom l

Sniffit

"he believes he is above this and doesn't need to go there and it certainly appears to anybody that isn't a member of the gang that he has chosen to go raise money rather than personally try to get a better understanding of the situation. "

Yawn. If he went you'd be yelling about him sending signals to would-be-illegals that if they hop they border with their children in tow, crying for asylum, then they get to meet personally with the POTUS. Obama showing up at a detention facility or wherever they are holding these children does not inform him of the situation that led to them being here. If he showed up to "show compassion" to these illegals that the conservatives consistently talk about in a manner that clearly indicates they think of them as sub-human, we'd be listening to all sorts of howling about him "encouraging" and "sending a message" to parents in these countries that he's personally invested in seeing their children given asylum or other special treatment so they can eventually become Dem voters. But hey, you do a decent job of regurgitating that ridiculous Washington Times editorial from yesterday though...way to assimilate a conservative rag's nonsense talking points...I especially liked the part where they compared illegal immigrants coming here to being an even bigger invasion than when we stormed the beaches at Normandy. Real classy.
    ======

Didn't read that article, sorry. You are obviously missing the point and then, of course, have to brings some form of "they just can't handle the demographic Armageddon blah blahs" and intentionally trying to gloss over the fact of the double standard and hypocrisy that I just love to point out about the gang. So, THE POINT IS, that you complained of Bush flying over New Orleans yet you don't complain about this because your guy is in office and will do anything – including using the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS THAT BUSH USED – to defend why he didn't go down there. Sooooo, it's just a matter of consistency, or lack thereof from the gang, that I point out. Please try to stay on point rather than go off on some tangent.

July 9, 2014 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. smith

@Rudy-Smh, how did I out myself? Inever said wall and you proved that. Stop beating a dead horse. You got caught.

July 9, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"Didn't read that article, sorry"

Sure you didn't. Whatever. The attempt to generate the meme "Obama's Katrina" meme is surfacing in multiple places. I think Hannity has been spewing it as well.

"THE POINT IS, that you complained of Bush flying over New Orleans yet you don't complain about this because your guy is in office and will do anything "

THE POINT IS, that you complained of Bush flying over New Orleans yet you don't complain about this because it's not the same thing.

FIFY

July 9, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

smith

-------
    smith,

You're on the receiving end of what is known as the Rudy Shuffle. It's symptoms include double speak, word salad, and some flavor of the Rev. Al's catchline. It's usually contracted by backing him into a corner (a relatively easy accomplishment) to the point where he speaks himself in circles and throws out an "I told you so". Seen it a hundred times. It always ends the same way. Rudy THINKS he wins the debate – the audience knows differently. smh, indeed.

July 9, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

smith

---------------------------
    And, what exactly did I get caught doing? You're arguing semantics, smith. What difference does it make? Wall or Fence. They are just words, smith. The meaning and intent are the same. FIXED BARRIER.

If anyone got caught around here, it was you denying that you made any mention of seeing videos of people hopping the "wall", oops I meant to say "fence". Big difference. Really big difference.

July 9, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. tom l

smith

====

It's a classic Rudy maneuver. Deflect, dodge, don't answer anything. Just deflect and insult. Because the bottom line is that you are correct, we have seen them hop an easy fence that does not have any security. We know a true fence/wall will deter a great deal of this. We have never, ever used the word perfect. We maintain that it will be substantially better and I have yet to see him refute that because he'd rather try to put words in your mouth. He has no solutions. He thinks they should all stay here and we should pay for it. He sees nothing wrong with asking for 3.7 billion dollars for non-citizens of the United States at a time when we can't even properly take care of our own veterans. There is one motive, and one motive only for Rudy. It's all about making sure that dems = good and repubs = bad. Nothing else matters to him. It's all optics for him which is exactly why he has shockingly broken ranks from the rest of the gang (might be a first where they actually have different opinions on a substantial issue) and thinks Obama should go down to the border. It's not policy. It's not what helps. It's optics and making sure dems get credit and repubs get blame. Nothing more, nothing less.

July 9, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Tom l
    “I just hope that ol yeller doesn’t threaten me with violence again….that was very scary.”

Goggle Pampers. No doubt you’ll get a few coupons to get you through your victim-hood meme.

--–

I just googled it. Thanks but they're too small for me. I appreciate the information. So I guess you're totally ok with threats though. IOIYAD
    --------------

Oh, tom ... just stop. This is a blog site that is heavily moderated (not some gang thingy you make it out to be).

July 9, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  12. tom l

"I favor comprehensive reform over a piece meal approach that never seems to get started, much less finished and done."
    =====

Just what does that mean?

And do you happen to remember back in the 80's when Reagan agreed to amnesty in exchange for security. We got the amnesty and we got no security which is why we are where we are today. So why on earth would repubs agree to do anything without getting the border secured when the last time they went down that road the dems reneged on their deal? Tell me what would compel anyone to believe that? I'm sure you know the phrase "fool me once, you're the fool. fool me twice, I'm the fool." What's happened is that repubs have learned. They will not be fooled again.

July 9, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. smith

@Rudy- Once again, I never denied say I saw videos of people hopping a FENCE. I deny say I ever saw videos of people hopping a WALL. You said I said I saw videos of people hopping a WALL, I never said that. WOW.

July 9, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. smith

@Tom l & Fair-Thanks you two, glad others are seeing this insane spin job by Rudy.

July 9, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  15. tom l

========

Hahahahahahaha. I don't read newspapers, big guy. Yesterday's news. As far as it being Hannity, I think you will be shocked to know it was Henry Cuellar who made the comment. Anyhoo, apology accepted for BOTH of your assumptions with BOTH assumptions being wrong. Once again, always worried about WHO says something and don't care about the WHAT that was said.

July 9, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  16. tom l

=======

I can't wait to hear this one. How are they fundamentally different? Why is this not essentially the same thing? This is gonna be so fun how he "nuances" this one...

I honestly can't wait because it's so fun to see how you twist things and make yourself feel so good. It's almost like you have a "team" behind you that helps with responses for tough queries like this.... ;)

July 9, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

smith

@Rudy-The keyword is WALL! not videos. Nice try.

-----------------------------------------------–
    I'm on the receiving end of what is known as the Rudy Shuffle. It's symptoms include double speak, word salad, and some flavor of the Rev. Al's catchline.

It's usually contracted by backing him into a corner (a relatively easy accomplishment) to the point where they speak in circles and throws out an "You lied" before it is all over. Seen it a hundred times. It always ends the same way. They always pretend that they have won something – the audience knows differently. smh, indeed.

FIFY

Your words were a near perfect description/projection of what smith has done. Smith has even included the word salad by arguing "wall versus fence" How ants and nines is that? Smith even seem like he tried his hand with a Rev. Al quote, but he forgot the quotes. I never do.

July 9, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

tom l

=====

Just what does that mean?
    ---------------------------
    What does "secure the border" mean? You go first.
    What metric do we use to determine when the border is "secure"?

July 9, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

tom l

=====

Just what does that mean?
    ---------
    What does "secure the border" mean? You go first.
    What metric do we use to determine when the border is "secure"?
    ---------–
    Another classic Rudyism. Answer a question with a question. That way, he'll never be on the record for anything.

July 9, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

@tom If Pres. Obama did go to the border, the right wing would very quickly twist the visit into him welcoming immigrants.

July 9, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"What does "secure the border" mean? You go first."
    What metric do we use to determine when the border is "secure"?
    ===

Ooooh oooooh, lemme answer for the Teatrolls:

Secure border = no more brown people coming here.
    Metric = the brown people population has stopped outpacing the white people population in growth and the GOP/Teartolls are finally able to win a national election again....or, to put it in simpler terms..."I'll know it's secure once the number of brown people in town stops growing."

July 9, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Fair is Fair

Sniffit

"What does "secure the border" mean? You go first."
    What metric do we use to determine when the border is "secure"?
    ===

Ooooh oooooh, lemme answer for the Teatrolls:

Secure border = no more brown people coming here.
    ----------
    Aw, Sniffit... you've repeated your schtick so many times even YOU must realize it's no longer effective. You're going to have to be better than a 1-trick pony.

July 9, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"I think you will be shocked to know it was Henry Cuellar who made the comment."

Not shocked at all, although he's not the only one who said it. He's a blue dog pandering in TX and he's just as wrong about it as anyone else trying to draw that analogy. I don't care what party they're from. Moreover, he said he hoped it wasn't a "Katrina moment." There's a big difference between that and Faux and the rest of the GOP/Teatroll agitprop machine (a) mischaracterizing what he said as saying it IS a "Katrina moment" and (b) promptly writing a script that argues it is and pushing the opinion that IS non-stop.

And you know what? There's another big distinction here. The "humanitarian crisis" involved in Katrina was the damage done to infrastructure, people's homes and livelihoods, the environment, etc., because of a natural disaster, and Bush needed to go there in person to reassure the people affected...the victims of the storm. The "humanitarian crisis" and its "victims" in this instance are these unaccompanied children, not the people complaining that Obama didn't come visit them to reassure them he'd be summarily kicking them out of the country and sending them home with nothing but a nametag stapled o their foreheads. They're not the victims or the ones suffering from a "humanitarian crisis" here, no matter how much of their selfish anti-immigrant vitriol you spout at me about it, and if you understand them to be, instead of these homeless parentless wandering children, then you've got your freekin priorities messed up.

July 9, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. smith

@Rudy-Are you really now trying to say a fence and a wall are basically one the same? A fence can be gripped and has spaces for a good foothold. A wall is flat with nowhere to grip and no footholds. There is a huge difference between the two in relation to trying to breech. Its time to admit you were wrong about my comments instead trying spin your way out.

July 9, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. smith

@Sniffit-Lately, you guys have been saying how much better Obama has been on securing the border than the GOP. Are now saying Obama hates brown people?

July 9, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |