Biden: Governors 'best hope we have' to end partisan politics
July 11th, 2014
2 weeks ago

Biden: Governors 'best hope we have' to end partisan politics

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden told the nation's governors that they're "the best hope we have" at ending the "corrosive" politics that are hurting the country.

"The way things have gotten today, and I’m not singling out any party or group of people, just the politics, the culture in Washington now, it’s become too personal, it's too corrosive," said the vice president Friday, adding that "this country can't run that way."

In an address to the National Governors Association, which is meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, Biden went on to say that "you folks, the Democratic and Republican governors, are the best hope we have to bringing back an atmosphere were we can disagree without being disagreeable," adding that "you got lead us out of this mess we're in."

The vice president praised the bipartisan efforts coming from the states, saying that "the vast majority of you respect one another."

Biden set up his remarks about the bitter partisanship in the nation's capital by joking that "I probably shouldn't say this, but then again I’m Joe Biden," which drew big laughs from the audience.

The vice president spent much of his nearly hour long speech emphasizing the need for infrastructure investment and increased funding for job creation and job retraining programs.

Biden also said that serving as a U.S. senator for nearly four decades was the "greatest honor" of his life.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

1. Tommy G

---

July 11, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

The political atmosphere has taken bitter partisanship to a new level. I have never known one party or the other to just simply stop governing, and fully commit themselves to unseating a sitting POTUS. Unbelievable. What's even worse is the large numbers of people of fully endorse that sort of commitment.

July 11, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Rockymtnrebl

Sure would like to see some investment in jobs Joe.
    A shame repubs don't.

July 11, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  4. smith

Bzzzzzz, wrong Joe Biden. Moderates and Independents are the key to ending the gridlock in Washington. The gridlock we have now is being caused by the radical right and the radical left. If we can get more moderates and Indy`s in the mix and shrink the radicals we will see some progress.

July 11, 2014 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. yolanda

@Rudy, it's obvious that we, unlike you, are mere mortals. Your postings are so balanced and inclusive. no, make that embracing. I simply don't understand how anyone could do anything other than unconditionally agree with everything you pontificate on. How anyone could interpret your musings as partisan or condescending is beyond me.

July 11, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Chris..E.al

Yes americans will remeber the big lies the democrats have told one after another just like they did a republican years ago that said read my lips no new taxes ? Surely

July 11, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"Might want to take this subject up with your boss, the Divider-in-Chief, the perpetual campaigner, Mr. I Don't negotiate, Liar of the Year."

Do you ever have anything new to say or is your butthurt skipping?

July 11, 2014 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Chris..E.al

I wonder if he was packing tha Double barrel shotgun ? Do you think him and obama would take hunting trip with dick c . at this point ? I dont think so ? Well i could be wrong they are die hards .

July 11, 2014 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Silence DoGood

@Tommy G
    ----------
    I can see from your comments that you would, in no way support any kind of negotiation whatsoever.
    You are the poster child for the GOP and TP Parties of NO.

July 11, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. Karens Hunka

As Biden calls for cooperation... Obama will start blaming everyone but himself.

July 11, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. don in albuquerque

Tommy G
    Let me see, "Divider in Chief", as opposed to W's "Great Uniter",.....well, I suppose he did unite alot of families around cemetery plots on both sides of the ocean. "I don't negotiate", I can still remember the chuckles I got from a Saturday Night Live segment about a year after he was in office where the actor said "I don't know why they hate me, I've given them everything they want", and he pretty much had, for the first few years he was called the "Caver in Chief" . "Liar of the Year".....get your wording right. It was "lie of the year", the same dubious award won by Sarah Palin, and MittWitt; yet I don't see you casting aspersions on their character. The GOTP has also won that coveted award twice, and the Dems once. I guess that puts the GOTP two ahead of the Dems. We will try to keep up. but it is hard to do when one side comes by it so naturally.

July 11, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. ladyoblivion

We'll wait for Biden to start. And then his boss. Like they lead on equal pay for women in the White House and throughout the Administration.

July 11, 2014 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. ladyoblivion

We will wait for him to start being less concerned about politics and more concerned about the reality of life for Americans right now. And his boss. Maybe they can start with prosecuting Lois Lerner; or with equal pay in the White House?

July 11, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"Let me see, "Divider in Chief", as opposed to W's "Great Uniter",.....well, I suppose he did unite alot of families around cemetery plots on both sides of the ocean. "

Indeed. Filled up families' burial plots while emptying their bank accounts. Very compassionately conservative of him.

July 11, 2014 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |