July 15th, 2014
2 weeks ago

Poll: Most give Obama, GOP in Congress, thumbs down on border crisis

Washington (CNN) - It's one of the hottest national debates this summer: What to do about the influx of unaccompanied and undocumented children from Central America who are crossing from Mexico into the U.S.

A new national poll indicates that a majority of Americans approve of President Barack Obama's short term remedy, but most give the President and his GOP critics in Congress a thumbs down on how they're handling the crisis along the country's southern border.

According to an ABC News/Washington Post survey released Tuesday, 53% support the White House plan to spend $3.7 billion to immediately deal with the situation, with 43% saying they disapprove of the proposal. The survey indicates an expected partisan divide, with two-thirds of Democrats supportive of the Obama plan. That number drops to 51% among independents and down to 35% among Republicans. Hispanics questioned in the poll support the proposal by a 54%-43% margin.

Even though a majority back the President's proposal, only a third of Americans give Obama a thumbs up on how he's handling the issue of undocumented immigrants entering the country. While that's nothing to brag about, only 23% of those questioned say they approve of how congressional Republicans are dealing with the crisis. Even Republicans are divided (48% approval – 45% disapproval) on how federal lawmakers from their own party are handling the issue.

Battle lines drawn in immigration debate

The ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted July 9-13, with 1,016 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Use 'safe zones' to end immigration crisis

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story

Filed under: Immigration • Poll • President Obama • Republican • Republicans
  1. smith

@rs-Yes, I think the GOP is playing politics with border issue. Your right on the wall it not gonna happen but it would of worked. Birther thing was crap just like diggin for dirt on Bush`s dd214.

July 15, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. JohnRJohnson

Who is "most"? These polls are stupid.

July 15, 2014 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Spgfld Tom

Obama could pick up his phone and call the Presidents of Mexico/Honduras/El Salvadore/Guatemala to stop this invasion. He has already sent Biden down with $235 million dollars to bribe these governments (he needs to ask for a refund). How can anyone support Obama's response to this crisis? No solution next week, President Permisso is going on vacation (Martha's Vineyard) for 2 weeks.

July 15, 2014 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Bigwilliestyles

Barrack H Obama-the Jackie Robinson of presidential politics. Hold on Mr. President; your sacrifice will smooth the way for the NEXT Black president.

July 15, 2014 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Ol' Yeller

"So now I finally get it. I called you "your boy" and you took that as some sort of racist comment. No, it was not racist and it didn't even occur to me – if it offended you then you should understand that there was zero racial thoughts behind it and it's just a term me and my friends use all the time. "

"it's just a term me and my friends use all the time"
    "it's just a term me and my friends use all the time"
    "it's just a term me and my friends use all the time"

Again... why don't you and 'your friends' go down on the south side or to Compton, or Harlem, or Watts, or any 'urban, inner city' (don't pretend you do not know what that dog whistle means, you and 'your friends' use it all the time) and start hollering down the the street, 'Hey Boy', 'C'mere Boy' or just about any form of 'Boy'.
    I wish you would... we wouldn't be reading any more of your whining, projecting posts anymore.

As for you trying to turn this around and make it about me...
    "It's so ironic for you to try and claim racism when you have no understanding nor knowledge of the Holocaust based on several of your posts in which you try to claim that the TEA Party is just like the Nazis – so let me inform you of your "insensitive language". When you make that comparison you are insulting the 10 million (6 million of them were Jews) people that were killed at the hands of the Nazis and for you to just haphazardly throw that out there actually does show your lack of understanding and insensitivity towards Jews. "

When have I ever said anything about the holocaust or the Jews? Show me... Challenge me me when I write a post if it offends you. Don't do this cowardly, "But one time you said..." crap. That is why everyone gets so frustrated with you... you lie, deflect, project, and do antything you can to MAKE YOURSELF THE VICTIM!!! Every friggin' time, every friggin' day.
    Have I compared the far right wing to the Nazis... you bet I have. The playbook is there, the ideaology is there, and it is obvious to any serious Historian that the parallels between what the neo cons tried to do with their Nationalistic fervor and there press to have us invade other countries who had in no way done anything to us, cannot be just be dismisseed off hand. Their insistence that certain Americans are 'different' and therefore should not be tolerated or should not be allowed the same rights as others. The fact they too would like to see only certain (white) folks be afforded full citizenship. You know who the Brownshirts are, tom I? You ever actually studied any history outside what glen beck provided to you? Why would a Jewish person be angry with me for pointing out parallels which have been more poignantly described by many way more eloquent thanI? How is this is an 'insult'?
    Why haven't any of the other 999,999,999 people (you all of the sudden represent) out there got all of the sudden butt hurt?

I'll tell you why... because you are being the same old [tom] I can't beat you in an argument or debate, so [tom] I will cry and whine and make a bunch of BS up so [tom] I can be the victim.... again.
    Every day... every single day....

July 15, 2014 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. george

OBAMA for sure.....GOP not so sure.....and Senate a Big FAT ZERO

July 15, 2014 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. george

MR> B. Hussein Obama...is AWOL...he is at Fund Raisers, Shooting Pool, Playing Golf, Photo Opting...you know that IMPORTANT stuff!!

July 15, 2014 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

"Deny it, blame others, project it onto us... do whatever you want tom I (you're the big free thinking individual on here- as you spout the same old rwnj mantra day in and day out)... but don't expect us to buy into your BS."

Even that has lost interest for me. And, yeah. The buying into thing? It's what keeps him going. He believes himself head ringleader. Dude CAN'T POSSIBLY be as old as he states he is. By mid-forties most have given up their teenage idol cliques routines.

July 15, 2014 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Tom l

And all yeller says I have long posts. So I was only able to read part of it because I am driving however I will tell you that I do have friends that used to or do currently still reside in Compton. I'm very familiar with that part of town. Once again there was absolutely no intention towards racism at all and I had no a lot of it in my mind whatsoever. You're just trying to score a political point right now and you know that I had no intention or racism behind it because there has never been a post with a hint of racism from me. Nice try though.

July 15, 2014 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Jim

Attention! Attention please! This is to remind everyone, it's all President Obama's fault. The invasion from the south is his fault, because 50 years ago, he was born in Kenya but announced in Hawaii, all to spite the Republicans. What ever. Try doing a little research. This situation has existed for a long time. No administration has dealt with it. It's much higher profile now because we have become so politically polarized that we can't allow someone from the other side of the aisle to succeed. Here's an idea. Instead of constantly complaining, try actually doing something about it? Try supporting plans to improve border security, and to beef up the personnel. Or show a little backbone and step up and pass a law that makes sense. Otherwise, stop the attacks on our President. Show a little bit of respect for the office, if not for the man.

July 15, 2014 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Longtimer

Spgfld Tom

___________________________
    I guess its as easy as building a wall is it? It isn't a Mexican problem- these are just people legally passing through. As far as calling Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras and saying "stop that"- well, they probably wish they could- but they're countries are barely that. Go down and scream at a bus load of kids- you'll just feel better.

July 15, 2014 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Just

The unarmed hostile invasion of the USA, and the government is allowing it to continue.

July 15, 2014 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Cam

NO BILLION for Obama; he's an open border advocate. "Immigration reform" is code for mass amnesty.

July 15, 2014 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  14. Larry

I have lost count of the number of paid republican Obama bashers on these CNN threads these days. How can I get one of those jobs? Not that I really think he is doing a bad job, in fact, he is the best president this country has ever had compared to any republican presidents in my life time. Still, I love to hear the whining and crying from the republicans as they try desperately to put some blame on him for something they consider wrong. At the end of the day I hope the independent party has some good candidates this fall because we don't know how far the republicans are going to fall, we just know they are going to fall hard.

July 15, 2014 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. bmike

Some of you lunatics on here need to get a life..Obama this ....Obama that.. you haters not gonna call you flat out racist..but if it sounds like a duck it's a duck...Let me go over this again how did 11 million illegals get here It took time didn't happen over night...Probably with Bush senior..who knows but it just didn't happen in the last eight years..the Repubs refuse to even bring it to the floor for a vote..why cause their croonies probably hiring illegals to work in their homes and their business.. are to blame also..if you stop hiring illegal workers they'd stop coming here...

July 15, 2014 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  16. Mopery

Every time a group of white bigots show up to yell at immigrant children, that old American Indian from the commercial sheds a tear.

July 15, 2014 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. peick

I have been avoiding these forums, but what the heck: Don't you guys get tired of the constant mudslinging? I certainly hope you are not a representative sample of America.

July 15, 2014 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  18. Rich

Senate Dems apparently weren't included in this poll because everyone already knows they don't do anything.

July 16, 2014 07:10 am at 7:10 am |