Poll: Immigration tops list of most important issues
July 16th, 2014
5 months ago

Poll: Immigration tops list of most important issues

(CNN) - The percentage of Americans who say that immigration is the nation's top problem has soared over the past month, according to a new national survey.

A Gallup poll released Wednesday indicates that 17% of the public says that immigration is the most important issue right now, up 12-percentage points from June.

The survey comes as Americans debate what to do about the influx of unaccompanied and undocumented children from Central America who are crossing from Mexico into the U.S, which has been a top story in the media the past few weeks.

Dissatisfaction with the government (16%), the economy (15%), and jobs (14%) rank just below immigration. No other issue offered cracked double digits in the new poll (health care came in at 8%).

"This is not the first time that immigration has spiked in the public's consciousness. Most recently, Gallup found the issue increasing to 10% in 2010, at a time when a new immigration law in Arizona was making news. And prior to that, it increased twice in 2006, to 15% or higher, amid congressional debate over immigration reform," said a release by Gallup.

Poll: Most give Obama, GOP in Congress, thumbs down on border crisis

The survey indicated a partisan divide on the importance of the issue, with 23% of Republicans, but only 11% of Democrats, saying that immigration is the most pressing issue facing the nation right now.

The survey suggests that crisis along the southern border could be an important factor in this year's midterm elections.

"Each previous spike in mentions of immigration as the nation's top problem was fairly short-lived. But with no solution to the current crisis in sight, and less than four months to go before the midterm elections, it is easy to believe the issue could still be a factor come November," wrote Gallup.

Complete Coverage: 2014 Midterm Elections

The Gallup poll was conducted July 7-10, with 1,013 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus four percentage points.

Filed under: 2014 • Immigration • Poll
  1. smith

@Rudy-Never said I was a moderate I've always said Im an Independent, which I proved. Fyi, Independents do not belong to a party, moderates do belong to a party. Snowden? He's garbage just like Manning. One day Snowden will be in a cell next to Manning.

July 16, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. salty dog

Sniffit, you mean to tell me this isn't Obama's fault, aawwhh, but I don't want to stick to facts!!! I must admit, it takes the patience of a saint to tolerate these daily lies, everyday, you'd think at one point the thought of checking their facts would cross your mind, yikes! They're not afraid of sounding foolish, that's for sure.

July 16, 2014 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Wake up!
    I don't watch the show babe, but wow!
    BTW we all have our guilty secret indulgences...this is one of mine...one of many! (wink!).
    @ Lynda Minnesota
    We're actually in agreement Lynda. My point was that we should stop reacting to his little taunts and either embrace it or ignore it.
    I personally can do both, embrace the term and ignore him when he uses it.

July 16, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. salty dog

Tom's the kid who won't share his toys, but wants everyone else to watch him play with them, he brings it on himself, perhaps his girlfriend won't tolerate his need to spread his philosophical enlightenment.

July 16, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. Sniffit

"Solution is simple; place a temporary halt to all immigration across the southern border, and begin massive sweeps across the nations interior."

LOL. Simple? Hahahahahahaha. Yes, it is extremely simple(minded) to say those things. Doing them? Accomplishing them? Putting in place policies that would achieve either or both of those things? Impossible and prohibitively expensive (i.e., fiscally irresponsible). But that's ok...let's hear your details on how to implement these things....I'm sure it sounds nothing like the Spanish Inquisition or Holocaust.

July 16, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"you'd think at one point the thought of checking their facts would cross your mind"

To be fair, they do. How else do you think they figure out what they are never to say or admit?

July 16, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. guest

stopping immigration is the number one priority for extreme right wing and neo nazi political parties all over the globe right now. The rhetoric coming from the right in USA right now sounds almost identical to the neo nazi golden dawn political party in greece. We have seen such tactics before in history, a small group subverting a major political party and then changing legislation policy to lock down government, making guns easier to purchase for certain segments of the population while showing extreme hatred to every other demographic in the population, making them live in crowded urban areas, and then cutting off all resources to those areas. We have seen all these shenanigans before, and they were loudly heralded as 'the only way to save the country' then too. Do not let the far right take over government.

July 16, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. smith

@Rudy-You say,

BTW, your accusatory musings, wool gathering, and navel watching are absolutely ridiculous. That's how lies get out. Stick to reality, instead of making up "what if" scenarios that have bearing in reality or fact.

Im asking a question, not saying thats whats going on. Are we not allowed to ask questions?

July 16, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. tom l

I see the gang is in full effect today. I do appreciate the conspiracy theories about me, the ability to try to steal my term of projection as well as the many incorrect assumptions and things that have been said.

I am replying to Rudy's statement yesterday:

1. Ah, the NSA. I've been waiting and waiting for you, or smith, to blast the NSA again following Snowden's recent releases that clearly demonstrate that the NSA did exactly what it denied being able to do, which was having the ability to intercept private emails between private individuals. Snowden released tens of thousands of emails, which contained everything from baby pictures to family tragedies.
    How come you two guys are not howling about those revelations of NSA snooping on private U.S. citizens? I suppose that you haven't heard about this release late last week and over the weekend. Huh? I find it amazing that the entire right wing has not heard about Snowden's emails, either. I can tell you why no one is making any loud noises about the revelations ... .. ... because the most recent email is dated 2008. Nothing that he has released was collected while Pres. Obama was in office. That's why not.
    =======
    So NOW you have a problem with it because it was back during Bush. I am 100% completely on your side with this. This is exactly why I fear the NSA and the govt having that control. This is the exact problem. I hadn't heard about this but if what you say is true than I am disgusted by it. Of course I am disgusted by the actions of the NSA and have been probably the only one on here to say that. The fact that this happened during Bush's time doesn't surprise me whatsoever. And if you don't think it's still happening then that's fine but I think you're pretty naïve. So, to recap, since you are just telling me about it, I can tell you that it doesn't surprise me at all and it is the exact reason why I am, and always have been against, the Patriot Act and the expanded powers of the NSA.

July 16, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

smith

-----------------------------------
    I know you're an independent. I didn't ask you about Snowden. I asked you about your outrage with the NSA. The more you duck the question, the more your right wing bias is showing. What's the matter? A tom cat has got your tongue?

July 16, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dominican mama 4 Obama says:
    July 16, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm
    @ Wake up!
    I don’t watch the show babe, but wow!
    BTW we all have our guilty secret indulgences…this is one of mine…one of many! (wink!).
    @ Lynda Minnesota
    We’re actually in agreement Lynda. My point was that we should stop reacting to his little taunts and either embrace it or ignore it.
    I personally can do both, embrace the term and ignore him when he uses it.

The funniest thing about the show are the extremists. You have the necks in their dirty t-shirts, beat up pick-ups toting guns and wrapped in the American flag saying many of the same things heard about blacks in the 60's and Immigrants now and calling themselves patriots. If the show wasn't about vampires, werewolves, shifters and fairies, they could be talking about minorities.

July 16, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

smith

@Rudy-You say,

============================================================================
    You can ask all of the questions you want. Just don't expect any responses to your made up conspiracies. Your wool gathering is not intellectual, not at all. It reminds me of folks that I've seen in extended care facilities talking to themselves.

July 16, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. smith

@Rudy-The NSA spying? I could care less Im not doing anything wrong or against the law.

July 16, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

tom l wrote:

-------------------------------
    I never wrote anything of that sort. Read what I wrote, tom. I was asking about what happened to your spoutrage over the NSA emails that Snowden released. I expressed no opinion on the matter, one way or the other. You still haven't answered the question, tom, so I'll answer it for you.

Because it makes the Bush administration look bad, and doesn't play into the right wing's negative narrative about the NSA and Obama. Instead, you've ignored it. The entire right wing has ignored it. The story has been told on every major news channel, except of course for the hard line right wing media sources. Snowden did another live interview. Why are you so uninformed about this? It seems only right wingers no nothing about it, tom.

July 16, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

Rudy NYC
    Malory Archer

Lynda/Minnesota

No. I'm not going to go further with the gang talk. We all have our own personalities and if tom wants to continue playing in the sandbox with his little rants, it's on him. I'm not about to feed his ego. It only leads to diaper changes, and I've changed too many diapers here on the ticker to last a lifetime as it is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I find it just best to ignore tom. He admitted a few days ago that it hurts his feelings when nobody pays attention to him, and while I think it's just awful to be so desperate for attention, I'm in!
    ===============================================================
    Ignoring "tom" is one reason why he posts under multiple names.
    -------–

Yep. Like clockwork .... !

July 16, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

smith

----------------------------------------
    Seeing how you have voiced no objections of any sort, then should we assume that you approve of the NSA being in possession of emails that they claimed they either did not, or could not, collect. You approve of the NSA collecting private emails and archiving them, then. You don;'t seem to have any complaints about it.

BTW, if you sense a trap in all of this, you're spot on.

July 16, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

After all the screaming and hollering is over something still has to be done for these kids. I understand their parents wanting a better life for them however the US may not be the answer. There is too much hatred for immigrants from South America right now. You had states threatening to secede from the Union if Obama was reelected. These people don't want us that were born here in this country, they definitely don't want immigrants.

July 16, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. smith

@Rudy_Conspiracy? In order for my question to become a conspiracy I would have to believe it to be true. I asked a question. Kinda like sharing ideas. Btw, you responded.

July 16, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. smith

@Rudy-A trap? By expressing my opinions, I hardly think so. Im not the one who tied myself in a knot of lies

July 16, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. Lynda/Minnesota

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    -----------------–

There IS too much hatred. Well said.

Hoping you have a great weekend and a beautiful sunrise. I tried this past weekend, but the cloud cover didn't work in my favor. Anyhow ... I'm out for the day.

@ Dominican mama: we're on the same page (as always) ;)

July 16, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. tom l

Ignoring "tom" is one reason why he posts under multiple names.
    ---–

Yep. Like clockwork .... !

=======

Wow. I would not have expected something like this from you. Just silly. So who are these names that I am under since I seem to be the only one with my views? The original claim was that smith and I are one in the same, however, clearly we have a fundamental difference of opinion on the NSA and spying on citizens. So clearly you were wrong on that one. This is why you guys are the gang. You throw out theories and then all pile on together. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

July 16, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

"And I will also comment that typically older women who are grandmas are not so passive aggressive like you are. So should I now say that you are not who you say you are?"

Oh-uh. Tom managed two insults in one sentence: older women AND passive aggressive.

July 16, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

tom l

Ignoring "tom" is one reason why he posts under multiple names.
    -–

Yep. Like clockwork .... !

=======

-----------------------------
    Smith seems to want us to believe that he approves of the spying activities on private citizens. He's expressed no complaints about it at all. That's a tacit approval. I find that to be quite odd, don't you? He's expressed disapproval in the past, but now ... ... ... suddenly nothing, and a tacit approval.

As far as names go there's "tom l" and "Tom L" for starters. Other names seem to come and go like the tides.

July 16, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. smith

@Tom l-We know the truth about the multiple names garbage. As far as the NSA spying , Im only speaking for myself on a personal level. I say that because I have to report into the DOD on a yearly basis because of my status as an IRR and because of contracts I signed with the DOD. Basically, Im watched already. Heck, my current job keeps tabs on me. Now, as for the rest of you. I think both sides have valid points.

July 16, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. smith

@Rudy-Your lying again, Look at my comment I clearly was talking about myself not others. And you say I have said different in the past where are the posts?

July 16, 2014 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |