Christie now says he supports Hobby Lobby ruling
July 17th, 2014
1 month ago

Christie now says he supports Hobby Lobby ruling

(CNN) - After first declining to take a position on the decision earlier this month, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday he backs the Supreme Court's ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby in its case against Obamacare.

Asked about his thoughts on the case at a campaign stop in Iowa, Christie unveiled his support.

"Do I support the Supreme Court decision in the Hobby Lobby case? I do," he said, according to video released by the Democratic group American Bridge.

The governor made his comments in Marion, Iowa, while campaigning for incumbent Gov. Terry Branstad, a Republican.

In a 5-4 decision announced a few weeks ago, the Supreme Court's conservatives essentially ruled that some for-profit corporations, like Hobby Lobby, have religious rights and cannot be required to pay to cover some types of contraceptives for their employees.

The ruling was considered a big setback to the Affordable Care Act and the Obama administration. Republicans, including some potential presidential candidates, widely praised the decision, while Democrats were quick to blast it.

Christie, however, declined to weigh in at the time the ruling was issued. Asked about the decision earlier this month, the governor argued it's best for political leaders to largely stay out of social issues.

"I don't think that's the most central issue that we need to talk about this morning when you look at the challenges that face this country," he said. "If I allow people to put me in the box, then shame on me. I'm not a good politician. I'm not a good leader."

Filed under: 2016 • Chris Christie • Iowa • Supreme Court
  1. Gurgyl

These are the very pathetic idiots. Do they know the Law? It's provision sausage they should provide pills–it does not matter whether they are non-profit or not.

July 17, 2014 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

This ruling is so nonsensical.

July 17, 2014 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  3. Gary

That will work for you up until the primeries. Then you'll need to do a Mit Flop. Keep dumbing yourself down Krispy. We want you to fit in at the debates.

July 17, 2014 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  4. Thomas

Now he say's he loves corn dogs .

Its about how he feels at the time .

July 17, 2014 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  5. Chris..E.al

Why pay when you dont think its right ? If you dont like it well so be it ? It says it all . Chant your slogans dems chant . Strange l0l at the very least . bahaha umm . ok ?

July 17, 2014 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. nintex

No matter what Gov. Christie thinks about the Hobby Lobby decision, I shall henceforth be purchasing my embroidery thread elsewhere.

July 17, 2014 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. Hooper

Any woman voting republican in future elections, has got to be considered a traitor to her own gender.

July 17, 2014 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  8. aaron

Time to play to the insanity of the rightwing since his credibility was destroyed by the bridge closing for political payback. And, of course, he'll push for Bill of Rights freedoms for any corporations that offer buffet type restaurants.

July 18, 2014 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  9. Caughtyoupeeping

Christy need to have a heart to
    heart talk with his party right
    now the republican party don't
    have a chance with the american
    people

July 18, 2014 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  10. jesus f. christ

This man floats on the tides, wherever he thinks the votes are.

July 18, 2014 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  11. salty dog

Doesn't this guy ever go home, sure the wife likes it, but the rwnj machine harps on Obama for golfing all the time, or anytime he's not in D.C.

July 18, 2014 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  12. an Iowan

Go back to Jersey!!!!

July 18, 2014 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  13. Eagle0841

The fact checkers gave all the Democratic taking heads a complete " false" ranking for the lies about this ruling. But what is new with the Alinsky drones?

July 18, 2014 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

Watch out there, Chris. The right wing's bath waters are actually vats of boiling oil. No half-stepping, big guy.

July 18, 2014 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  15. Yeah Right

Don't hold his feet to the fire!!! Pandering hypocrite that one

July 18, 2014 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. just me

But does he still support Bernie Madoff?

July 18, 2014 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  17. S.B. Stein

He needs to say that to cover his butt and look better to the conservatives since he hasn't stacked the NJ supreme court their way in favor of the corporations and wealthy.

It seems that this could be the slippery slope down to having a 3rd branch of Congress that is for the corporations to change the laws to favor them. It looks like Continuum from SyFy could be true after all.

July 18, 2014 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. Sniffit

Had to wait for the poll numbers first.

July 18, 2014 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Sniffit

"If I allow people to put me in the box, then shame on me."

Meh...we'll put your 2016 aspirations in a box. Pine. Someone hand me some nails.

July 18, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. Don L

Like all corrupted politicians, Christie will first weigh the political benefits before he decides his moral certainty.

July 18, 2014 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

Is this guy for real? Everything ... and I mean everything ... that comes out of his mouth is second grade BS.

WHAT were you thinking, New Jerseyans?

What. Were. You. Thinking.

July 18, 2014 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. rs

And another one bites the dust! It's going to be hard for the GOP to win when they aggressively discriminate against the rights of half of the population. Maybe Akin can help them.

July 18, 2014 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  23. salty dog

He's all your Jersey, enjoy, oh and get ready to pay for another legal team, witch hunts and all, poor fella, want to eat half a gallon of ice cream to sooth your soul.

July 18, 2014 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. Gurgyl

Get rid of all republican lunatics. Simple.

July 18, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. SimplyPut

Christie doesn't have chance at the White House. If he's nominated, a majority of the GOP base will stay home just as they did for Romney; he has insulted the national base too many times and sided with the left-wing nuts on too many issues. He should stay home and work on his diet.

July 18, 2014 10:58 am at 10:58 am |