Government Agency tweets about Kardashians, baffles lawmakers
July 22nd, 2014
5 months ago

Government Agency tweets about Kardashians, baffles lawmakers

(CNN) – Come for the Kardashians, stay for EPA water regulations.

In what seems to be a complete social media flub, the official Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Water twitter handle tweeted out an automated message promoting a new Kardashian Hollywood game.

"I'm now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood," @EPAWater tweeted Monday night. "Come join me and become famous too by playing on iPhone! http://t.co/SrloiiwUFZ"

A few news organizations were able to screen-grab the tweet. As Buzzfeed notes, the message was live for about three hours and received several thousand retweets before it was deleted

The tweet drew confused responses from many people, including some lawmakers.

"I'm the last original author of the Clean Water Act, but I have no idea who/what a Kardashian is and I rarely play games," longtime Democratic Rep. John Dingell of Michigan wrote in a tweet back to the EPA. "You OK, @EPAwater?" he added

"I hope the Kardashians don't mind being associated with something that spends millions without contributing to society. @EPAwater," Republican Rep. Steve Stockman of Texas tweeted.

"Our regulators…" Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Kansas, wrote retweeting the Agency.

The EPA responded Tuesday, capitalizing on the attention the Kardashian name brought to their Twitter game.

"Whoops…our bad. Sorry about tweet," the EPA's Office of Water tweeted. "Upside – more attention for the Office of Water (http://water.epa.gov), thanks @KimKardashian"

An EPA spokeswoman said that an EPA fellow "inadvertently triggered an auto-generated tweet" and that "she regrets the error and has been advised on the sensitivities of using social media."

Filed under: EPA
  1. Rudy NYC

just saying

Rudy NYC

just saying
    obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.
    ---–
    Psst. They're competent enough and smart enough to beat Flip Flopney by a landslide

with the help and cooperation of the propaganda arm of the democrat party, the left wing main street media, tp spread the lies of obama and the democrats while endlessly attacking and smearing their opponents. this is how the liar of the year gets elected president.
    =====================================================
    Uh-huh. Like I said, they were competent enough and smart enough to beat Flip Flopney by a landslide.

July 22, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. ????

What is a Kardashian? Can I get vaccinated for it?

July 22, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dominican mama 4 Obama says:
    July 22, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm
    Hey. A mistake.
    Those Kardashian girls are a pretty bunch.

Anyone can be pretty with a face full of make-up and professionals to apply it. I'd like to see what they look like without it. Actually I'd like to see what many women look like without a mask of make-up...
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Well my sister truth be told not everyone.
    Make-up can work wonders but not perform miracles!
    Anywhoo, I can see pretty good bone structure beneath the make-up, particularly with Kim.
    Not hating on these girls babe.
    @ yolanda
    Telling it like it is, or like one has experienced it does not one a victim make.

July 22, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hey. A mistake.
    Those Kardashian girls are a pretty bunch.
    -----------------------–
    Count me in with Sniffit. I don't like "pretty" girls, a.k.a. "cuties",. Most of the time they're too full of themselves to carry on an intelligent conversation. I like the "beauties". Women come in two basic flavors to me, "cuties and beauties." I think 90% of women try to be "cuties" while the rest try to be "beauties", and they do it without all of that makeup. Half of the time, they do not even know that they are natural beauties. I'll take one of those.

If I came across as a misogynistic chauvinist when it comes to picking women, i don't apologize.

July 22, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |