Government Agency tweets about Kardashians, baffles lawmakers
July 22nd, 2014
3 months ago

Government Agency tweets about Kardashians, baffles lawmakers

(CNN) – Come for the Kardashians, stay for EPA water regulations.

In what seems to be a complete social media flub, the official Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Water twitter handle tweeted out an automated message promoting a new Kardashian Hollywood game.

"I'm now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood," @EPAWater tweeted Monday night. "Come join me and become famous too by playing on iPhone! http://t.co/SrloiiwUFZ"

A few news organizations were able to screen-grab the tweet. As Buzzfeed notes, the message was live for about three hours and received several thousand retweets before it was deleted

The tweet drew confused responses from many people, including some lawmakers.

"I'm the last original author of the Clean Water Act, but I have no idea who/what a Kardashian is and I rarely play games," longtime Democratic Rep. John Dingell of Michigan wrote in a tweet back to the EPA. "You OK, @EPAwater?" he added

"I hope the Kardashians don't mind being associated with something that spends millions without contributing to society. @EPAwater," Republican Rep. Steve Stockman of Texas tweeted.

"Our regulators…" Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Kansas, wrote retweeting the Agency.

The EPA responded Tuesday, capitalizing on the attention the Kardashian name brought to their Twitter game.

"Whoops…our bad. Sorry about tweet," the EPA's Office of Water tweeted. "Upside – more attention for the Office of Water (http://water.epa.gov), thanks @KimKardashian"

An EPA spokeswoman said that an EPA fellow "inadvertently triggered an auto-generated tweet" and that "she regrets the error and has been advised on the sensitivities of using social media."

Filed under: EPA
  1. just saying

obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.

July 22, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

I used to like Bruce Jenner until someone [my own kid] tried to get me to watch a new reality show that he was starring in. I was expecting to see some middle age guy who was working out, training for some Senior Olympics, or being a mentor to young athletes, but not anything like what I saw.

McCain gave us Palin. Jenner gave us Kardashians.

July 22, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

just saying

obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.
    -----------------------------
    Psst. They're competent enough and smart enough to beat Flip Flopney by a landslide.

July 22, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

just saying says:
    July 22, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm
    obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.

I bet you get a little b0ner every time you see or hear the words President Obama. Get a job and get up off your sister and out of the trailer sometime.

July 22, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. it must be said

Get rid of ALL of these government twitter accounts. It is clear we have children at very high levels of government that are incapable of distinguishing between proper and improper use. A serious government doing its job doesn't need them.

July 22, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hey. A mistake.
    Those Kardashian girls are a pretty bunch.

July 22, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Say WHAT???

Just more twits wasting their time (and our tax dollars) twittering. While it can be useful, in the right hands, it can also be destructive in the wrong hands or when used without fully engaging the grey matter.

July 22, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. just saying

Rudy NYC

just saying
    obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.
    ---------–

with the help and cooperation of the propaganda arm of the democrat party, the left wing main street media, tp spread the lies of obama and the democrats while endlessly attacking and smearing their opponents. this is how the liar of the year gets elected president.

July 22, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. YOWZA!!

This is a NICE SET of girls!!!!!

July 22, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. Winston Smith

Just one of the many reasons this country will never have the status it once had. It's a shame, but when the nation had status, idiots like this were never put in the limelight daily. It's damned old now, and getting older all the time.

July 22, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. yolanda

@Many Rivers, and you complain about stereotyping. Wow, you are as bad as @Sniffit, except you're the eternal victim.

July 22, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.'

Got a throbber off this one, eh? Would you like some time alone?

"Our regulators... MT @EPAwater: I'm now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood. Come join me & become famous "

Yeah, conflating low-level administrative staff who is probably on summer break from high school or college with a "regulator" is totally honest.

"I hope the Kardashians don't mind being associated with something that spends millions without contributing to society. "

And here I thought the Kardashians pretty much defined what it means to spend millions without contributing to society.

July 22, 2014 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Sniffin Sixth Sense

I see racists everywhere.....

July 22, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. O'drama ya Mama

just saying

Rudy NYC

just saying
    obama administration = incompetent returds, top to bottom.
    ---–

July 22, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

There goes the "party of personal responsibility" making excuses for their losses. Romney lost because of Romney. Romney flip flopped on so many issues that Romney didnt even know what he stood for by election day.

July 22, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"Those Kardashian girls are a pretty bunch."

I dunno man...the one on the left has a giant skull. I keep expecting her to say "I'm not a monster...." Besides, you can hear the ocean if you hold one of their ears up to your ear.

Anyhoo...overall, meh...it's like with Jabberwocky Barbie...the minute they open their mouths, they become permanently ugly in my mind.

July 22, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Ol' Yeller

This is a good example of what we as a country produce when we allow unmitigated greed and wealth worship to go unchecked.
    For all the righties crying 'tax cuts' for the 'job makers'... this is what the wealthy spend much of their kajillions on... creating spolied, unproductive, ignorant children. The rest gets squirreled away in the Cayman islands or spent on car elevators.
    Not jobs...

July 22, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. Rick McDaniel

More stupidity from the celeb status hungry Obamas.

July 22, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I hope the Kardashians don't mind being associated with something that spends millions without contributing to society"

...he said while brushing his teeth with raw sewage after eating the last box turtle on the planet, all while enjoying the a light summer breeze laced heavily with the fresh sent of burning tires?

July 22, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"It is clear we have children at very high levels of government that are incapable of distinguishing between proper and improper use. "

If you think a "very high level" federal employee is in charge of typing out the tweets for these things, then you've got some funny ideas about workplace hierarchy.

July 22, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dominican mama 4 Obama says:
    July 22, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm
    Hey. A mistake.
    Those Kardashian girls are a pretty bunch.

Anyone can be pretty with a face full of make-up and professionals to apply it. I'd like to see what they look like without it. Actually I'd like to see what many women look like without a mask of make-up...

Kick rocks yolanda.

July 22, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. just asking

Ol' Yeller

and the obama administration has been courting the kids of the rich and inviting them to the white house. only thing better than a useful idiot, is a filthy rich useful idiot!

July 22, 2014 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"Actually I'd like to see what many women look like without a mask of make-up..."

What's funny is that a lot of guys (myself included...and I dare say the majority of guys) can't freekin stand what I call "clownyface"....you know, that disgusting mélange of foundation and bumps and layered painty stuff and facial hairs with goop on them (yes, we can see them and yes, you missed one while plucking and no you can't hide all your peachfuzz by laying the foundation on thicker). It's a horror show, makes no sense and we can't undertand for the life of us why they do it. That and Uggs. *shudder* haha

July 22, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Fair is Fair

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Kick rocks yolanda.
    --------–
    Hey @yolanda... last week I got a KMBA from her. Jealous?

July 22, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

""Great weekend. Hope yours was too."

Very, thank you. Dock ... book ... lemonade ... sunglasses ... sunscreen."
    ===

@ Sniffit: You forgot fishing pole and cooler of frosty adult beverages!

6pm .... boat .... fishing polls .... adult beverages cooler !

@ Wake up

Kick rocks yolanda. Sans shoes.

July 22, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  25. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Sniffit says:
    July 22, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm
    “Actually I’d like to see what many women look like without a mask of make-up…”

What’s funny is that a lot of guys (myself included…and I dare say the majority of guys) can’t freekin stand what I call “clownyface”….you know, that disgusting mélange of foundation and bumps and layered painty stuff and facial hairs with goop on them (yes, we can see them and yes, you missed one while plucking and no you can’t hide all your peachfuzz by laying the foundation on thicker). It’s a horror show, makes no sense and we can’t undertand for the life of us why they do it. That and Uggs. *shudder* haha

I've heard plenty of my male friends say that same thing. I have no problem with make-up enhancing ones looks but when you have to wear it like a mask day in and day out for years..... I shudder. I'm so happy I never got into the foundation that mess ruins your skin. That's why some women in their 30's look older than some in their 60's. That mess ruins your skin. When I was in high school I had a friend with a pretty little sister, you just knew she was going to grow up and be beautiful. She started packing on the face paint around 12 years old. Still to this day I don't know why because like I said she was pretty. I encountered her about 10 years later and her skin was all blemished and dry looking, she had to wear make-up. She looked older than I did. I just think if you have to hide behind a face full of goop, you yourself, know you're not that pretty. I also think it sets a bad example for young girls. But hey everyone can't be born with a gorgeous complexion like some of us. ☺️☺️

July 22, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |