Waiting with open wallets: Media mogul says he'll spend 'as much as needed' for Clinton 2016
July 28th, 2014
2 months ago

Washington (CNN) - Haim Saban, a multibillionaire media mogul, said Monday he is prepared to spend "as much as needed" to get Hillary Clinton into the White House in 2016.

While it is no secret that Saban, the head of Univision and a prodigious Democratic money man, is excited about the prospect of Hillary Clinton running for president in 2016, these recent comments to Bloomberg up the ante of his support.

"I think she would be great for the country and great for the world, so on issues that I care about she is pristine plus, and I think she is ready plus plus and I hope that she makes the right decision," Saban said.

Saban was a sizable Clinton supporter in 2008, spending and raising over $100,000 for the former senator. With the rise of super PACs, however, the media mogul will be able to do much more to help Clinton.

Supreme Court decisions in the last six years have allowed private citizens to exert more influence in politics by giving money to outside organizations that in turn work to get a certain candidate elected. And with a handful of super PACs already working to urge Clinton to run for president, Saban has a number of avenues for his large fortune.

Saban said earlier this year that a Clinton presidency would be a "dream," and told an Israeli newspaper in December 2013 that he will "pitch in with full might" to get Clinton elected in 2016.

In addition to his political contributions to Clinton, Saban has donated between $10 and $25 million to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation.

The irony in Saban's claim is that last week Clinton denounced outside money in politics, stating that she would consider backing a constitutional amendment to limit outside influences.

"I would consider supporting an amendment among these lines," Clinton said responding to a question during a Facebook question-and-answer session. "That would prevent the abuse of our political system by excessive amounts of money if there is no other way to deal with the Citizen's (sic) United decision."

Clinton is widely considered the frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016 and has admitted in the last few months that she is seriously considering a bid.

"Obviously she has a life to lead and she is going to be a grandmother soon, so all of that will obviously be taken by her into consideration," Saban said about the prospect the Clinton runs.

Saban, who was born in Egypt and raised in Israel, is worth an estimated $3.5 billion and now works as the executive chairman of the company that owns Univision, the massively popular Spanish-language broadcaster.

Republicans and some nonpartisan observers have questioned whether someone so closely tied with a major American broadcaster should be so chummy with a prospective presidential candidate.

Univision is a major partner in a key Clinton foundation program, Too Small to Fail, which encourages parents to talk with their kids at a young age. Clinton’s partnership with Univision is focused on encouraging Hispanic families and caregivers to speak in either Spanish or English with their children as a way to develop language skills.

Earlier this year, the Republican National Committee called out the partnership as an avenue for "2016 propaganda," while Raul Reyes wrote a column in February that questioned whether the "Hillary-Univision deal cross(es) a line."

Filed under: 2016 • Citizens United • Fundraising • Hillary Clinton
  1. Rick McDaniel

Another totally subversive person, funding the subversive Democratic Party.

July 28, 2014 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. Pander Bear

Cue right wing whining as they ignore all the illegal unreported contributions the Koch Brothers are making the GOP candidates via Super Pacs.

July 28, 2014 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. yolanda

But this is different than the Koch brothers, right? I mean, they are evil and he has the sun shining out of his backside, so it must be okay, right? Plus, he is for Hillary, and we all know she was broke upon leaving the White House and barely had enough money to pay the rent. Wow, what a decision she has to make...take the money, or take the money. I know, let's shift the subject to the Bush presidency. Yeah, that will work, and if anyone gives her any grief we'll accuse them of being chauvinist pigs and 1%'ers.

July 28, 2014 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. just asking

-–

but aren't the democrats and lefties always saying they don't want all this money in politics and accuse others of buying elections? could these story lines just be more lies and deceit from the democrats? yup.

July 28, 2014 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  5. tomdavie

I suspect there will be all kinds of negative spin put on this one. However, what difference, at this point does spitting vitriol at her make?

She is still as popular as ever.

July 28, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. T4J R

I hope he spends every last dime so he's broke when she loses.

July 28, 2014 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. Chris..E.Al

Maybe H Clinton can get her on show my friend and you all can stare at her image and watch the same 0LD reruns and live happily ever after and still receive the same outcome as if she war prez ? What you say

July 28, 2014 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. Wes

haim saban is a disaster.

July 28, 2014 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Tommy G

And do you think this guy will also saturated his Spanish channels with non-stop pro-Clinton propaganda worth billions? of course.

July 28, 2014 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

yolanda
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Babe, ease up.
    Puff...puff...pass.

July 28, 2014 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Yes, well. I'm thinking that won't happen in my lifetime. And for all you GOPers whining ... yeah ... I am against all this money from both sides of the aisle. Unfortunately, there are not too many who are; including, but not limited to, those who serve, and will continue to serve, their benefactors once they themselves have been elected into our Congress. And, yes ... the White House, too.

July 28, 2014 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. yolanda

I'm totally with you@Dominican mama. Just having a little fun.

July 28, 2014 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. don in albuquerque

Wes
    Know the guy personally do ya?????
    Yolanda
    Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

July 28, 2014 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

yolanda

I'm totally with you@Dominican mama. Just having a little fun.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I thought as much. You're not really one to rant!

July 28, 2014 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. OBAMA - THE OPEN BORDERS PRESIDENT

If its legal who cares about who gives or gets the money. If Haim Saban, the Koch's or anyone else wants to spend their hard earned money that is a personal choice. Its interesting to see the link from mogul to politician but I am always humored by the demonization of the one giving the money.

July 28, 2014 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I guess Hillary isn't the anti-Semite she's been accused of being......

July 28, 2014 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  17. Gurgyl

Any wise man will say this. Thanks Saban. Let me pay my share too. None of the republican trash is even worth thinking. All say, yes, on Our dear Hillary16.

July 28, 2014 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Chris Asking Question

So, it's okay for multi-millionaires/billionaires to support liberal candidates but not conservative candidates?

July 28, 2014 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  19. Raven

The only hope is that Americans don't fall for political ads but think for themselves.

July 28, 2014 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. salty dog

DM4O, too funny, you read my mind, yo, I'm still amazed at how fast I've seen large pizza disappear, in seconds, its all cool on the first piece, then when it hits a certain point, its a grab fest, eating as fast as you can, to get another piece,,ahh the good old days, now I fight my teenage boys for it.

July 28, 2014 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    yolanda

I'm totally with you@Dominican mama. Just having a little fun.
    -----------------–
    I thought as much. You're not really one to rant!

Well, my friend ... I've once again reached my political breaking point and am going to take a break. Too much anger here in America directed at young children. Too many worldwide bombings killing young children. Too much justification for hate, too little effort to stem the tide of hate.

I'll catch up with you when I've cleared my head (if ever I do ... ).

July 28, 2014 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. Robert Walters

Yes i agree with him. PUT Hillary in office; its time to Destroy America, democrats in every office Federal, state , county,etc.

July 28, 2014 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. Rational1

This is your daily reminder: both Republicans and Democrats are bought and paid for, and you should look to 3rd party candidates

July 28, 2014 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. texasnotea

July 28, 2014 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. texasnotea

Republicons have the same problem today as yesterday,and the day before..... They are in the depths of denial and have fallen on every excuse as to why they have lost elections except the one that counts. They are WRONG on everything and refuse to compromise on anything. Hillary or most any Democratic candidate can win in 2016 but the gop has nobody in their klown car that can win. The party of NO has no way to the white House in the near future, Really.

July 28, 2014 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |