August 14th, 2014
2 months ago

Ice Bucket Challenge: Politicians get soaked

(CNN) - Ice water is starting to drench the political scene.

A number of political figures have taken on the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise money and awareness for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) – or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Started by Pete Frates, who has lived with ALS since 2012, the campaign asks participants to dump a bucket of ice water on their head and then nominate their friends to do the same.

Social Web tackles the #IceBucketChallenge

Here's a few politicians who've embraced the ice water:

Rep. Joe Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, was one of the first to pour water over his head.

Gov. Chris Christie, R-New Jersey, got his kids involved.

Sen. Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, accepted Christie's challenge.

Former Republican Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts, who's now running for the U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, featured his famous truck in his video.

Rep. Patrick Murphy, D-Florida, must have had some really cold water.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, took it to a whole new level.

Gov. Bobby Jindal, R-Louisiana, challenged LSU's Les Miles, Duck Dynasty's Willie Robertson and MSNBC's Joe Scarborough.

New Hampshire GOP Sen. Kelly Ayotte's son was clearly excited about the task.

Rep. Martha Roby, R-Alabama, got a whole trash can of ice water.

Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-North Carolina, accepted Roby’s challenge and got a local fraternity involved.

Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pennsylvania, stepped it up a notch with two buckets dumped from a boom lift.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Arizona, accepted his challenge.

CNN's Dan Merica contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Rudy NYC

Imagine what this is going to look like 20-30 years from now when people look back on it. I'm still wondering and asking if any of these people getting soaked are making donations. It's my understanding that it is either you get wet, or you make a $100 donation.

Speaking of $100, isn't that amount kind of on the high side for average Americans? Most folks are living paycheck to paycheck. This is definitely more of a top 10% thing.

August 14, 2014 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

-------------------------------------
    Why didn't they donate $100?

August 14, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

Not to mention, they're not even doing the challenge correctly. You're not supposed to just dump the water. You have to deliberately pour it slowly. #Cheapskates #NoExceptions

August 14, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. it must be said

August 14, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. Anthony

The people who accept the ice water challenge should donate the money anyway, or find people who will donate in their names.

August 14, 2014 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. Silence DoGood

"President Obama declined to do the challenge and pledged to contribute to an ALS charity instead."
    ------------–
    Compared to the fools not donating and getting air time, our president did the quiet donation and moved on. Well played.

August 14, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. Gurgyl

Very pathetic of this sale in a Democracy. Yes, many people live from paycheck to paycheck. Instead of improving these lives–DONATIONS. Utter nonsense. Shame, I bow my head down.

August 14, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. Sniffit

"I'm sure they all donate as well as get soaked, and probably contribute more than $100. And you can always contribute whatever you wish. Nobody turns down even small donations. I guess liberals don't contribute often enough and don't know this stuff."

Pssssst: ALS is not a partisan issue.

August 14, 2014 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  9. excuse my rant

it must be said
    _________________
    And I guess you cannot go a single post without being negative on someone, even an uplifting story such as this.

August 14, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Silence DoGood

@excuse my rant
    it must be said
    _________________
    -----------
    It has been the conservative narrative. Make stuff up, say good things are really bad. Doom, gloom and fear.

August 14, 2014 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Lizzie

Silence DoGood
    ----–
    -– if he would have PLEDGED it quietly, you would not know anything about it.

August 14, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Sniffit

"Why is it when a white police officer kills a white person none of this happens? Or are you saying that never happens?"

Why is it that whenever "this" happens, angry white conservatives immediately begin drawing false equivalencies between the experience and treatment of the black community and white community? Ferguson is a town with a population that is 67% African American and a police force that is 94% white and tensions have been growing for years. Name me a city in the country where the reverse of that racial breakdown is true. Name me the last time you heard about an innocent, unarmed young white kid shot for wearing a hoody or brutalized by police officers and strangled to death in a choke hold while trying to get out the words "I can't breath" or shot in the face with a shotgun for knocking on someone's door for help after a car accident at the "wrong hour" or shot and struck 10 times by police officers when knocking on a door for help after a car accident or shot in the toy aisle of a Walmart while holding one of the toy guns because you know what they assumed and why....etc. Tell me all about those white kids who grew watching those things happen day in and day out in their immediate environment. Tell me about that police force of 94% black cops who terrorized the primarily white inner city of their town with heavy handed paternalistic overly aggressive authoritative arrogance and vast quantities of military surplus that they're just itching to use.

August 14, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. Rudy NYC

it must be said

-------------------------------
    I would hope that they are making donations, but every video that I've seen makes no mention of a donation. The challenge, as I understand it, is either/or, I was admonished yesterday for asking this question, being told that they are increasing awareness. Exactly. Increasing awareness is not the same as making a donation.

August 14, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

excuse my rant

it must be said
    _________________
    =================================================
    She's just trying to keep things Fair, all on the up and up.

August 14, 2014 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Anonymous

it must be said

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Riiiiiiight.... because YOU said so, it MUST be that way. (eye roll)

August 14, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. O'drama ya Mama

I'm almost positive that if you do the ice challenge you still have to donate $25. If not you donate the full $100. I really hope these people remember to at least donate the $25.

August 14, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

As usual Sniffitt, you hit the frackalacking nail on the head!!!

We even have some police forces in the suburbs of Detroit with ZERO black officers. Google Warren, MI. Not. Black. Police. Officer. And get this Warren cops sit on the Detroit side in the mornings waiting for blacks to come by speeding. They pay no attention to the white motorists on their side of the street. They issue more tickets to blacks than anyone. And please don't let them catch more than 2 black males riding together. They are getting pulled over for sure.

August 14, 2014 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. Dead Bear

@it must be said... I'm gonna take a page from your book of negativity and respond in kind... All the Republican politicians featured in this story should have a brick dropped on their heads instead of ice water. Perhaps that would knock some sense into them.

August 14, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. tom l

Sniffit,

August 14, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"Sniffit,

I think you should watch the Morgan Freeman interview on CNN with Don Lemon. It's very insightful."

And I think you should stop trying to make this all about an indictment of the black community and whatever shared responsibility it bears for the condition of its neighborhoods. That has nothing to do with this. Nothing excuses gunning down an unarmed kid who had his hands up. Nothing. Period. Excuses are for enablers.

August 14, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Lizzie

Silence DoGood
    --–
    -– if he would have PLEDGED it quietly, you would not know anything about it.
    ===========================================================
    Seeing how someone had called the President out and the press wanted a response from him, making a quiet pledge was taken off the table. Your desire to criticize absolutely everything Pres. Obama might do clouds your judgement. But, carry on as you were. You're making the case against far right wing extremists far better than I ever could.

August 14, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

These scenes in Ferguson are reminding of the civil rights marches in the 1960s. Unarmed citizens have a constitutional right to protest, but they were met with armed law enforcement officers determined to take away that right. They too were hit with tear gas. How long will it be before we see the water hoses and attack dogs? They're already firing rubber bullets and flash bangs at the crowds.

People have a right to peacefully assemble, and the law enforcement officials are denying people that right.

August 14, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

O'drama ya Mama
    ------------–

August 14, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    Lizzie

Silence DoGood
    ––
    -– if he would have PLEDGED it quietly, you would not know anything about it.
    ===========================================================
    --------------–
    RRR Radical right rant entrapment:
    – call president out on ice water or donation
    – if ice water, call him silly and disengaged and pandering and being a dictator
    – if donation call him for publicity and pandering and being a dictator
    Lizzie, that is referred to as a logical fallacy called the loaded question e.g. "Have you stopped beating your pet?" You cannot answer without self-incrimination.

August 14, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

"No doubt the confusion is due in part to the article itself: "Those friends have the opportunity to follow their friend or donate $100 to ALS awareness."

I suspect it is the "to follow their friend OR donate" that is causing the confusion. Splashing buckets of water on oneself is getting most the attention."
    ---------------------------
    Yeah, but, every major news outlet is reporting the challenge in the same way. Dunk or Donate. Every story says that the ice baths are "increasing awareness", but never make mention of any these people making a donation. I would hope that they are making a donation. I just have not seen any evidence of it.

If someone offers the challenge, and the person takes the ice bath, does that mean the challenger donates the $100?

August 14, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |