McDaniel formally challenges Mississippi runoff results in GOP Senate primary
August 14th, 2014
3 months ago

McDaniel formally challenges Mississippi runoff results in GOP Senate primary

(CNN) - Chris McDaniel's campaign formally challenged the runoff results from Mississippi's U.S. Senate primary that showed he lost to incumbent Thad Cochran.

"Republicans did not elect the nominee on June 24," McDaniel said in a statement on Thursday.

A state senator who got strong support from tea party and anti-establishment groups, McDaniel narrowly edged Cochran in the June 3 Republican primary.

But neither cracked the 50% threshold needed to win, pushing them to a runoff three weeks later that Cochran won by more than 7,000 votes.

Key races to watch in 2014

Cochran’s victory was apparently aided by crossover votes from African-Americans, a largely Democratic bloc actively courted by Cochran's campaign and allied groups.

In a statement announcing the challenge in Jones County, the McDaniel campaign said there is evidence of election fraud, including fraudulent votes, insecure ballot boxes and other issues with election integrity.

"The First Amendment right of the party to associate was (clearly) infringed upon on June 24th," said McDaniel lead attorney Mitch Tyner. "The party should have arranged for the primary to limit Democratic participation, but the Cochran campaign elicited the exact opposite."

Tyner added: "Since the Republican Party's leadership clearly doesn't trust the Executive Committee to hear this challenge, we have no choice but to file for judicial review."

According to Mississippi law, voters are not required to register with a political party, and anyone who doesn't vote in a primary election can cast a ballot in either party's runoff.

Cochran's campaign has pushed back against McDaniel's challenge, attributing support from African-Americans to four decades of relationship-building in the state.

CNN's Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Mississippi
  1. Write In

As much as I dislike Harry Reid, I despise voter fraud and dirty politics more. Write-in McDaniel during election. If Cochran loses, he'll know why.

August 15, 2014 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  2. DWEBSTER

I love how everybody is jumping to conclusions and making accusations of racism when they haven't even seen the pleadings filed with the court and the case has yet to be heard. Most of you are the same idiots that voted for Obama because he said he would be less divisive and he was going to do away with the national debt, Now, 6 years later we see that Obama has been the most divisive President ever and that he has ballooned the national debt up to $17 trillion, with no plan to stop it from going to $20 trillion+ by the time he leaves the WH. Facts and concrete solutions mean nothing to you boobs. Trite slogans and empty rhetoric that toys with your emotions is the stuff you thrive on. That thing inside your head, is called a brain, try using it once in a while.

August 15, 2014 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Vince

Another Tea temper tantrum.

August 15, 2014 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  4. Name JK. SFL. THE GOP THE NATIONAL JOKE PARTY , WE WONT PASS ANYTHING AND STILLGET PAID

This GOP teaparty CHUMP is anEMBARRASSMENT to the GOP , the state AND THE NATION. Such people DONT BELONG in any goverment office, BUM

August 15, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  5. Yogol

It's simply unbelievable that the USA tells others countries how they should change into a democracy when you read how terrible we are doing ourselves.

After the election of the guy with the least votes (2000) , the pay-veterans-to-say-bad-things-about-the-other-candidate (2004), the 'we'll do everything that we can to make our own head-of-state fail'and the ' (2008)and the infamous 'we're gone sue the president because he DID EXACTLY WHAT WE VOTED FOR' (2013), now this: demand a new election because, boohoooo, black people voted too.

And we want to export this political system to other countries!!!

August 15, 2014 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  6. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

No Smith, I never called the officer a murderer. You made that up. However I do know of several different instances where the police flat out lied. I don't think people should automatically believe the officers story. There are many incidents just like Ferguson. Here's another story for you. About 20 years ago a cop shot an unarmed kid right down the street from my best friends house. The kid was visiting a girl two houses away. The kid was walking to the store and the cops pulled up on the side of him and for some unexplained reason he ran. One cop jumped out and chased him, the other followed in the car. The one on foot was out of shape and breathing hard and the kid was fast. The cop on foot shot the kid in his back and killed him. They tried to make all witnesses get back so we couldn't see. The kid had a pager in his hand. They searched for a gun and didn't find one. A few more cops arrived and boom a gun appeared. The girl the kid was visiting was screaming saying that wasn't the kids gun, that he had no gun. The cops ordered all spectators away and by that time there was about 50 people out there. They threatened to arrest everyone. The girl told the kids parents exactly what happened and they retained a lawyer. About 2 weeks later the family started getting harassed by police. Then CPS. The police started raiding the house at least twice a week claiming it was a drug house even though they never found anything in the house. Them kicking in the door constantly caused the landlord to evict them. We lost contact after that. And the media never reports on stories like this so I don't know how it all turned out. But the bottom line is the cops killed an unarmed kid for running away and planted a gun on him. So please excuse me for not believing every lie they tell.

August 15, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    Lynda Minnesota
    I chased you in the Crist story and responded to you there.
    It feels like I've been chasing you all day.
    I'm sooo tired.
    Be safe and goodnight.
    ------------

LOL. For a little old lady (5'2") I can still get around fairly well, eh? Thank goodness for treadmills and workout videos.

I read all of your comments, my friend ... thank you for each of them ...!!!

August 15, 2014 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ WUP!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    This is what I was saying to Lynda.
    The police behaves and reacts differently with our Black brothers than they do with our White ones.

August 15, 2014 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  9. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

And to Bill from GA....

Do you really think that we black mothers are not outraged by black on black youth crime?? Really? You think we're ok with it? The difference is the police usually get the offender when that happens. However cops and wannabe cops with guns are allowed to shoot unarmed black children and you see nothing wrong with it. You simply take the time to refer to blacks as lazy and that they don't vote. (I've noticed you manage to get that in almost every comment and every time I see it, I cringe a little) But it's ok, I know your type. We're nowhere near as stupid as you think.

August 15, 2014 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  10. GOP = Greed Over People

Open primaries are in GA as well.

And while I am not devious enough to have come up with "operation chaos" I am smart enough to use it when it be fits my agendas. So, I voted for Perdue in the GOP primary which assured the GOP candidate would also be competing as a "newbie" just as Nunn will be. The win margin was even closer than in MS.

Who came up with "operation chaos", you ask?

Seems it was a rotund, drug addled, racist with a morning talk show, his name escapes me.

August 15, 2014 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

This guy is so funny. How dare black folks vote for whom they want to vote for?? Who told them they had that right???

See Bill, apparently black folks do vote. 😊

August 15, 2014 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  12. Tom l

Wake up,
    You said "cops lie and stick together" which can only be interpreted one way. You may not have used the word "murderer" but that is certainly the impliedeanong behind what you said. You dot trust any cops, and it sounds like you have experience to feel that way, but you have painted with a broad brush that every cop is a liar and that's simply not the case. I'm not saying there aren't bad cops out there that lie and do bad things, but it's not all of them and I would say most are good honest people who have a very difficult job. Very difficult.

August 15, 2014 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  13. rs

McDaniel doesn't have a leg to stand on. What Cochran did was wily and legal. Saying that, I hope he keeps his little crusade alive- illustrating the rift in the GOP daily to the press and burning up the GOP's precious corporate funds that they might otherwise use against Democrats in November. Go, McDaniel, go!

August 15, 2014 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  14. Pandamonius

Clearly this election had voting irregularities that render the results void. I mean, c'mon people...they let black people vote!

August 15, 2014 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. Pandamonius

Write In
    ------------–

So, you obviously must have been furious when Rush Limbaugh and other conservative voices demanded that conservatives cross party lines to vote in Democratic primaries, right?

August 15, 2014 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  16. Name JK. SFL. THE GOP THE NATIONAL JOKE PARTY , WE WONT PASS ANYTHING AND STILLGET PAID

Why would ANYBODY vote for an anti goverment teaparty GOP clown for a goverment job!!!!

August 15, 2014 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. photog645

Good luck to McDaniel with this one! The Communist Democrap party are EXPERTS art running fraudulent elections and covering their tracks! And they have a good head of the party in the Communist-in-Chief, Barack Insane Obama!

August 15, 2014 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  18. Pandamonius

Bigd
    What does he want a 2 out of 3 elections
    -------------------–

No. He just wants to keep going until he wins ONE. Then, he wants only that one to count.

August 15, 2014 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. Tony

DWebster, McDaniel assumes that black people are Democrats, which is not necessarily true. Ask Ben Carson. Putting people in a category based on race is racism. Republicans also assume that people voted Obama based on emotion and slogans. No, people voted for Obama because they didn't think the Republican alternative was better. Romney offered a huge tax cut without spending cut, which is a recipe for bigger deficits.

August 15, 2014 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. 2L

I have yet to see voter fraud on such a massive scale where it influenced the outcome of an election.

August 15, 2014 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. smith

@Wake Up- I never said you called hime murderer. I said by reading your comment you have already decided the police officer is guilty.

August 15, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Actually Tom, I believe the word of the witnesses before the cops. I've seen cops lie and stick together too many times and until it happens to you you will never know. And guess what it will never happen to you. I've seen whites curse out the cops for pulling them over. I've seen them slam the door in their faces and refuse to let them in. Both of those instances could result in death for a black person. And the cops will walk by saying they were resisting or trying to take their gun. Which is why most good black mothers tell their sons how to act in the presence of the police. I agree they have a hard job, but some go way too far.

August 15, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  23. Silence DoGood

@photog645
    -----------
    And with no evidence whatsoever, even with McDaniel offering cash rewards, pull the tin foil hat down tighter and squint your eyes closed. File it after Birther and Death Panel and Benghazi stand-down order.

August 15, 2014 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

@tom l, do agree with your leader Rand Paul that the police have become over-militarized? Those are Paul's words, not mine.

August 15, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. salty dog

You know I'm just a 50 year old white guy, and I watched all three cops get on the stand and lie their ever loving asses off to convict me, oh I was guilty, but that carried 4 years max, the perjury they committed carried a 5year max, so I have no sympathy for them anymore.

August 15, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |