August 20th, 2014
4 months ago

Bush takes plunge, challenges Clinton

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush took the ice bucket challenge, and is now challenging his predecessor in the White House to follow in his footsteps.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Bush takes a soaking from his wife, former First Lady Laura Bush, and then nominates former President Bill Clinton to take the challenge.

The challenge is raging this summer on social media, as people get doused with a bucket of ice water in order to bring awareness – and raise money – to combat amyotropic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Politicians get soaked

$15 million pours in from ice bucket challenge

"Thanks to Jenna Bush Hager, Rory McIlroy, Woody Johnson, and Coach Jim Harbaugh for the #IceBucketChallenge," wrote Bush on his Facebook page.

In the video, Bush said "to you all who've challenged me, I do not think it's presidential for me to be splashed with ice water, so I'm simply going to write you a check.”

Moments later, after she pours a bucket of ice water on top of her husband, the former first lady said "that check is from me. I don't want to ruin my hairstyle."

Bush then called on Clinton to get wet, saying, "Now it's my privilege to challenge my friend Bill Clinton to the ALS challenge. Yesterday was Bill's birthday and my gift to Bill is a bucket of cold water."

Celebs embrace ice bucket challenge

Bush's successor in the White House so far has decided to stay dry. President Barack Obama has declined to take the challenge, but instead has made a donation to an ALS charity, according to the White House.

Bush's chilly dunking was arranged, in part, by his daughter Jenna Bush Hager, an NBC "Today" show correspondent.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George W. Bush
  1. Klutch Cargo

August 20, 2014 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. Gurgyl

-these guys are fooling USA. Simple. I did not understand single sentence. Does he at least know that today's collapse of Republican Party is himself. Does he know it fell to the ground for generations from now. Very pathetic. Don't pay any attention to these idiots that talk like drunk to dupe further, USA. Get educated, first.

August 20, 2014 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  3. Dar

Good deal, maybe both Bush and Clinton will be cleansed of their wrong doings now.....................Naw!
    But I am glad to see them helping a good cause.

August 20, 2014 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. rick

This is for a great cause. It does not seem like its doing anything but exactly what it was started for. And there is no heavy political agenda. It is a disease that strikes with no warning. Essentialy like a douse of cold water. And there will probably be other crazy "chalenges" in future with causes of medical funds needed. I smile as see the different people doing it. And the smiles.. Odd looks.. Shocked looks.. Are for a great reason.

August 20, 2014 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  5. smith

I think Billy Clinton will accept Bush`s challenge. He doesn`t want get punked by GWB.

August 20, 2014 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Marie MD

I think that Laura got a really big kick throwing ice cold water on the shrub #43.
    A librarian marries a moron.

August 20, 2014 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. Chris..E.Al

August 20, 2014 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. tom l

A good cause and then you read comments from those like Marie. And she tries to claim that the "hate" only comes from the hardcore right.

August 20, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

I liked what Charlie Sheen did with the challenged. He dumped a bucket of $100 bills over his head, $10,000. He challenged some more Hollywood types, but he should have also challenged Mitt Romney.

August 20, 2014 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Btw Chrissy, President Obama is a sitting POTUS. He doesn't need to drop ice water on his head. He donated money.

I also agree with Rudy about Charlie Sheen! That's my boy! Winning!!!

August 20, 2014 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Ol' Yeller

@Chris..E.Al
    "Welll its got to be a good and fun and sensible thing to do because 0bama didnt want to partake in that part of the challenge ."

Yes, and we ALL know what you would say if Obama did participate... you would have a total conniption fit and point out how his participation had ruined the country.

blah, blah, blah...

August 20, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  12. tom l

Dude does a good thing and the hyper partisans on the right and left can't help themselves but continue to say why the other side is so bad.

August 20, 2014 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  13. Lily

Unfortunately this game doesn't apply to the former Pres. Clinton. The man underwent an heart surgery in the past and it doesn't make any sense to pour ice water on him.

August 20, 2014 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. rs

Klutch Cargo

________________________________
    Compared to Bush Clinton looks like a Rhodes Scholar.... oh, yeah he really was a Rhodes Scholar-Bush? Not so much. Meanwhile what does you post have to do with supporting ALS research?

August 20, 2014 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  15. rs

tom l

___________________________
    Sort of just like what you did right goody two-shoes?

August 20, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Lizzie

Wake up...... Why in every blog do you stress the fact that Pres.Obama said he would donate. Ok we get it, $100 great.

August 20, 2014 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

tom l

----------------------------
    After re-reading your post and my own post, I realized that you're not talking about me, but rather yourself.

August 20, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Lizzie says:
    August 20, 2014 10:18 am at 10:18 am
    Wake up…… Why in every blog do you stress the fact that Pres.Obama said he would donate. Ok we get it, $100 great.

Because Chrissy made a point of saying President Obama didn't take the challenge. And how do you know he only donated $100? Just because that's what they're asking for doesn't mean that's all he donated.

August 20, 2014 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Oh yeah and Lizzie.... I post it because I want to and can.

Toodles.

August 20, 2014 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Tom l

rs says:
    August 20, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am
    tom l

Dude does a good thing and the hyper partisans on the right and left can’t help themselves but continue to say why the other side is so bad.
    ___________________________
    Sort of just like what you did right goody two-shoes?

August 20, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. ThinkAgain - Don't like Congress? Get rid the repub/tea bag majority.

@Klutch Cargo: "You shouldn't confuse Bill Clinton, wouldn't be fair, wouldn't be prudent. If only 911 had happened on Bill Clinton't watch......"

But it didn't, because his administration was keeping an eye on Al Qaeda and bin Laden – unlike Bush, whose people ignored both Richard Clarke's transition team warnings and the August 6, 2001 memo.

That said, I appreciate GW doing his part to help raise money for ALS.

August 20, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  22. rs

tom l

_______________
    On a more serious note Tom I- do you really consider Mr. Bush's donation ($100, $1,000 or whatever) to be a get-out- of-jail-free card? Because of this man, Iraq is still in flames; 125,000 of its innocent citizens died uselessly in a war he brought them, and 2 million more were spread across the world as refugees. Ignore the 7,000 U.S. war dead, and the tens of thousands maimed. Never mind the economic devastation he wrought here in our own nation.$100 fixes that for you? Sure he did a good thing today. A day late and a dollar (or a few trillion) short.
    Would you so willingly "forgive" Ms. Clinton for the Benghazi issues you clutch to so firmly? I doubt it.

August 20, 2014 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

"Yes, the hyper partisans are just ridiculous. I honestly don't care whether you think I am a hyper partisan."

As you've repeatedly stated on these water bucket articles ... it's for a good cause. In which case, dragging hyper-partisan into the conversation goes well beyond good cause and heads into finger pointing territory; thus it takes away from the good cause meme you're trying to promote.

August 20, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. ritmocojo

He should've been 'bucketed' while POTUS to snap him out from the grasp of Darth Cheney.

August 20, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

TOM L wrote;

"Yes, the hyper partisans are just ridiculous. I honestly don't care whether you think I am a hyper partisan. I know who I am. And I know that both sides on extreme are wrong."
    -----------------------------
    Don't worry, dude. We know exactly what you are, too. You're hyper anti-partisan, truly one of a kind. No ideology.

August 20, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |