Rick Perry: It’s possible ISIS has crossed southern border
August 21st, 2014
1 month ago

Rick Perry: It’s possible ISIS has crossed southern border

Washington (CNN) – It’s a “very real possibility” that individuals with the extremist group ISIS may have crossed into the United States at the southern border, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Thursday, though he added he doesn’t have any evidence.

Because the border is insecure, Perry said that “individuals from ISIS or other terrorist states could be” taking advantage of the situation. “I think it's a very real possibility that they may have already used that,” he told an audience at the Heritage Foundation in Washington.

“We have no clear evidence of that,” he continued.

Perry said Texas has seen historic levels of individuals from countries with terrorist ties recently, including three Ukrainians arrested on a ranch in West Texas in the past two months, he said.

Perry used the argument to frame the broken border situation as a matter of national security.

“We need to have clear and compelling forces, both law and enforcement and otherwise, to send the message that the border is secure,” the potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate said.

Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby told CNN on Friday that there was no evidence that the terrorist group is sending operatives across the southern border.

"I’ve seen no indication that they are coming across the border with Mexico," Kirby said on "New Day." "We have no information that leads us to believe that. That said, we do know they have aspirations to hit western targets, and it's something...we've got to take seriously and we have to try and be ready for it."

Officials have expressed concern about American citizens and westerners who have joined ISIS. Those individuals are holding passports that allow them to enter the U.S. legally.

ISIS, a Sunni Muslim extremist group that refers to itself as the Islamic State, has waged a rapid campaign across Iraq this summer seizing towns and villages and targeting Christians, minority sects, and Shia Muslims.

In his remarks, Perry called for a more robust response to ISIS in Iraq, saying the Obama administration’s recent actions have been inadequate.

“When they talk about limited airstrikes, they place a great emphasis on the word 'limited,’ yet clearly more airstrikes are necessary,” he said. “Nothing less than a sustained air campaign to degrade and destroy ISIS forces is required.”

Asked by a reporter in the audience if he would support combat troops on the ground, Perry said, “all your options have to be open.”

Filed under: Iraq • Rick Perry
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

"This one won't make it through customs either I bet."

For the past few days ago it's been really, really bad. I ended up co-signing for lack of getting any other response to print.

August 22, 2014 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  2. Marcus (from...?)

Me and my typos!
    It's 'whose' not 'whoe'...

August 22, 2014 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dominican mama 4 Obama says:
    August 22, 2014 09:55 am at 9:55 am
    @ Wake Up!
    It appears that it is the Red Nation moderators on duty this morning my friend.
    They have shot down three of my posts where Republicons are referenced as terrorists.
    This one won’t make it through customs either I bet.

Same here! I posted I'm more afraid of the GOPT than ISIS. That bad boy got zapped so fast your head could spin. Isn't it funny they can say the most low down things about the POTUS and FLOTUS, but we're shut down if we say one word they don't agree with? Liberal media my eye.

August 22, 2014 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

"This one won't make it through customs either I bet."

-----------------------------------------------------
    Good morning to you my friend.
    It is a small consolation to know that it is not just me being shot down...but hey, at least tom l will have something to post about! lol.

August 22, 2014 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  5. Obama is a JV president

“The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant. I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.” Obama, Jan 2014

Just another in a long line of Obama inept evaluations.

August 22, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Marcus (from...?)

Me and my typos!

-----------------------------------------------------
    No worries Marcus, we know you know how to spell and construct a sentence!

August 22, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. Tampa Tim

Watch the gloom and doomers react to the market over 17,000. "it's gonna come down!" Their reaction to the bombing of ISIS, " Now they will want to go all the way to Saudi Arabia!"

August 22, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dominican mama 4 Obama says:
    August 22, 2014 10:11 am at 10:11 am
    Lynda/Minnesota

“This one won’t make it through customs either I bet.”

For the past few days ago it’s been really, really bad. I ended up co-signing for lack of getting any other response to print.
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Good morning to you my friend.
    It is a small consolation to know that it is not just me being shot down…but hey, at least tom l will have something to post about! lol.

August 22, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

"Good morning to you my friend."

Back at you :). No it isn't just you. I suspect we aren't giving them what they crave anymore. It is all too transparent, and I for one, am getting tired of the puppet mentality spreading like wildfire. We have enough real life fires to contend with, without this ... well, you know.

August 22, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-----------------------------------------------------
    I'm just going to co-sign that my friend, lest they zap me into the middle of next week!

August 22, 2014 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. rs

smelly salty stinky smelly dog but

jim
    yeah, but Bush still owns the BIG one.

Right. The time bomb whose fuse was already lit by Bill Clinton's inaction in the 1990s went off on Bush. The day Bush took office the AQ people were already in this country and many were had already trained here.
    ___________________________
    Historical Fiction Alert! Try again. Clinton left detailed intelligence and concern about the threat of Al Qaeda. The Bushies blew him off. They said (and I quote) "the former President in our opinion is somewhat obsessed with the threat al Qaeda poses to the United States". As proof, when the CIA notified Bush in a Daily Intelligence Briefing about al Qaeda's likely attempt to attack the U.S. using passenger airliners, Bush ignored that too. No security measures were put in place.
    Bush DOES own 9/11.

August 22, 2014 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. guest

Funny that they would call the charges against perry a 'red herring' while simultaneously producing this whole can of chopped red herring spread. Red herring must have been word of the day in peewee perry's big top fun house.

August 22, 2014 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. rs

frznagn

A Republican states a fact and the lefties get all bent out of shape. Who'd thunk that?
    __________________
    Do enlighten us- What has the GOP EVER done to secure the border?

August 22, 2014 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. Marty

Ya think!!!! I've said all along it is only a question of picking the battlefield. Conservatives want the battlefield to be in the middle east Progressive Liberals are content with the battlefield being here in North America.

August 22, 2014 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Sniffit

"'An INCOMPLETE 2010 Army investigation concluded Bergdahl went AWOL. They even mention it in the article talking about GAO findings with regards to the swap.""

Indeed. Moreover, and I've said this repeatedly because the Joint Chiefs said it repeatedly: he was innocent until proven guilty. The Joint Chiefs saying that quite literally means they did not consider the investigation complete or its findings to be fully supported or even binding. Of course, the entire issue is moot because we bring them home regardless. The brass tacks is that GOP/Teatrolls are just willing to completely devalue the life of one of our citizens and soldiers in order to attack Obama. What's really driving it is that they're probably angry they didn't get to attack Obama for Bergdahl winding up dead and in a video.

August 22, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"Good one Lynda!! How are my two favorite internet sisters doing on this lovely Friday morning?? 😊😊The weatherman has predicted we are finally getting some summer weather.... I guess better late than never. ☺️☺️☺️"

Deary here. It has been all week. High humidity and clouds. Oh, I do NOT look forward to winter. Oh, WUP, do enjoy your summer days ahead because I do think Rudy was correct ... our summer in Minnesota is over. I'll be heading up north in September to enjoy the fall colors. Gosh, it seems like just yesterday we had that whole fall leaves racking thing upon us.

August 22, 2014 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

----------------------------------------------------–
    Yepper!
    @ WUP!
    Hey there!
    Weather is kinda sucky around these parts, mostly overcast today.
    Truth be told, we've had a lot of overcast if not downright rainy days this summer in this part of the country, and let me tell you it's been wreaking havoc on my rheumatism.
    The flips side is that we have not been subjected to the usual sweltering, high humidity summer that the DMV area is known for.
    Every cloud has a silver lining...

August 22, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Rudy NYC

rs

frznagn

__________________
    Do enlighten us- What has the GOP EVER done to secure the border?
    ========================================================================
    Nothing. All they do is scream for a "Wall", not a fence, but a "Wall." Republicans in the House control the nation's purse strings, so you would think that they would try to fund this "Wall" that is desperately needed.

But, then they woke up to reality. Someone like me pointed out the cost of a "Wall" could reach hundreds of billions of dollars. So, they started screaming for "enforce our laws", but they don't want to fix the broken laws that we have.

August 22, 2014 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

Uh-oh, Marcus. I plead guilty to typos as well. Raking. We rake leaves in Minnesota ... not rack.

August 22, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

rs responding to stinking salty blah blah:

___________________________
    -----------------------------------------------------
    BAM!!
    Complete shut-out!!!
    rs I LOVE your posts and the way your mind works!

August 22, 2014 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

"Nothing. All they do is scream for a "Wall", not a fence, but a "Wall."

They "scream"? Oh, yeah, Rudy. They scream. And scream. And scream. And scream.
    From what I can gather, half the time they don't know what it is they're screaming ABOUT anymore.

August 22, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. jpmichigan

They go were ever the want by any means. They kill using USA weapons on Americans. They infiltrate other countries why not here, our American government gives all illegals a free pass.

August 22, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. Sniffit

Right...and it's "possible" that Cowboy Fonzie will be elected POTUS some day. Actually, not it's not.

August 22, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. bcrunner

He thinks the new glasses make him look presidential material..... OOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 22, 2014 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. Lee Sterne

No clear evidence? How about "unclear" evidence? There's none of that, either. Just another case of Gov. Popoff trying to get some more free publicity.

August 22, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |