Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes
August 22nd, 2014
4 weeks ago

Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes

Washington (CNN) – Harry Reid, who faulted his 2010 Republican opponent for making an insensitive remark to Asian-Americans, cracked two Asian-themed jokes at a Las Vegas event Thursday.

"I don’t think you’re smarter than anybody else, but you’ve convinced a lot of us you are," the Senate Majority Leader said to laughs from the audience at a Las Vegas Asian Chamber of Commerce event.

Later in the video, which was sent to reporters by the Republican research group America Rising, Reid said, "One problem that I’ve had today is keeping my Wongs straight."

Reid issued an apology for his remarks on Friday, releasing a statement that said, "My comments were in extremely poor taste and I apologize. Sometimes I say the wrong thing."

Back in 2010, Reid and his campaign pounced on a racially insensitive remarks that Sharon Angle, his Republican opponent, made about Asians.

Angle told a room full of Hispanic school children that "some of you look a little more Asian to me."

The comment, which came in response to a student who asked Angle why all her commercials portrayed illegal immigrants as Latino, helped to define the race and Angle's dismal campaign.

At events after Angle’s remark, Reid joked about the remarks while painting Angle as out of touch, undisciplined and extreme.

"As I look out over this crowd, I really don't know what my opponent was talking about," Reid told an audience. "Because you all look like Nevadans to me."

Reid went on to defeat Angle in the November general election and maintain his perch atop the Senate.

The Asian community in Nevada has been rapidly growing and is expanding its political clout in the swing state.

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

"Really???" posted:

Politics stopping at the waters edge? what about Obama's apology tour?
    ------
    Earned him a Nobel Prize.
    -------–
    Big swing and a miss, Sparky. Obama had to have been nominated for the Nobel he won by February, 2009. The apology tour was months after that. The timing just isn't there... but don't let that stop you.

August 22, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. Really???

hasn't this guy petrified yet?

August 22, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. riff raff

Great, now all I want is some chicken, Popeye's hasn't made it here yet, I heard rumors, and one of my riding buddies owns a chicken joint, blocks from where it was supposed to go, he cried like a school girl, he's under the mitt made it rich, he should be president BS.

August 22, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

tom l posted:

Clarence Thomas is white now? And sarcasm doesn't work here. It's childish and lame. It also shows that you guys are finally realizing how desperate you really are and how bad things are going for "your side"
    -------------------------–
    If Reid was speaking before an audience, I'd bet 10,000 Romney bucks that they laughed at the sarcasm. Thomas threw his race under the during this confirmation hearings. He characterized Anita Hill with some implied stereotypes.

August 22, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. AnoyMouse

Three senile, racist white liberal fools walk into bar and the bartender shouts "Joe, Harry & Nancy! Who's money you been stealing today?!"

August 22, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. jerome

Asians will not apologize for the Reid jokes they crack.

August 22, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. Marty

No surprise from Harry. Rules and the like are for other people not the elite like Harry, Nancy and the administration.

August 22, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

tom posted:

--------------------–
    Oops, I almost forgot. Strike three, you're out. You even changed the subject, just as I had predicted to Sniffit. You were supposed to be giving us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card. You gave up, and changed direction.

August 22, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. salty dog

Chicken under a brick from Romano's macaroni grill, best ever!

August 22, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

John Brown

Any this guy thinks the Redskins name is offensive?
    ---------------------------
    What if the Dallas Cowboys were named the Dallas Pale Faces? Do you think people would find that offensive?

August 22, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. Really???

@Rudy NYC

John Brown

Any this guy thinks the Redskins name is offensive?
    ---------
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Ridicules example! I call them worse than that during football season. Real football fans do give a hoot.

August 22, 2014 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Tom L posted:

That was in the Scott Brown article. You accuse someone else on the ticker being amoral for fundraising off of the beheading of the journalist. I merely pointed out that you had no problem with fundraising off of Sandyhook. And the only person that was apparently fund-raising off of this was a commenter on the ticker. You really are confused today. Go back and read the comments in order to see how silly you look
    ----------------------------
    Where's the example of me saying ANYTHIING about fund raising? I can't even accuse you of mischaracterizing what I wrote. You confabulated. You just like keep proving my point over and over, don't you? Changing the subject, and mischaracterizing even your own words. Please, do carry on, chap.

August 22, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Silence DoGood

A Dem says one mildly offensive remark and apologizes right off.
    And somehow this is the same as the systemic, accepted, continual bigotry exhibited daily by the radical right?
    My God, I hope the progressive adults are voting this next round.

August 22, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

salty dog

Chicken under a brick from Romano's macaroni grill, best ever!
    --------------------------------
    It always tastes better when you make it yourself. Most people do not fry foods at the correct temperature, 375 for fried chicken. Buy a good thermometer that keeps the sensing element off the bottom and the sides of the vessel. The secret to good fried chicken is to flour the chicken twice, letting it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before the second dredge and frying. A pinch of baking soda in all=purpose flour is magical, or just use self-rising flour,

August 22, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Tom l

Clarence Thomas is white now? And sarcasm doesn’t work here. It’s childish and lame. It also shows that you guys are finally realizing how desperate you really are and how bad things are going for “your side”
    ————————————————————–
    Oops, I almost forgot. Strike three, you’re out. You even changed the subject, just as I had predicted to Sniffit. You were supposed to be giving us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card. You gave up, and changed direction.

I am lost now. I have you the example in the article itself where he used the race card. I have you the example of hobby lobby where he said 5 white guys, therefore he injected race. Can't you just please admit you are wrong for once? And whole you are at it, can you give me one issue that you agree with repubs on because moderate would have positions on both sides.

August 22, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. Reality Check

Yes, Harry, they are smarter than you. Most people are smarter than you. The stump in my back yard is smarter than you! It is simply an embarrassment to this country that this old goat is in a leadership position. I guess he's the best the Democrats have to put up. Scary, very scary.

August 22, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair posted:

'Politics stopping at the waters edge? what about Obama's apology tour?
    Earned him a Nobel Prize."

----------------------------------
    Glad to see that all of your buttons still work. Obama's Nobel Prize is one of them. Now, you already know my "standard cover story" for Obama winning the Nobel. So, let me repeat for posterity. The world was thankful that that America voters didn't elect another war mongering Republican, that they gave them the Nobel Prize. They just simply asked Pres. Obama to pick it up and accept on our behalf. :)

August 22, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. smelly salty stinky smelly dog but

Rudy NYC
    John Brown
    Any this guy thinks the Redskins name is offensive?
    ---------

No, I would just find it lame and dumb, as I do most of your posts in here.

August 22, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Dems in PA

Harry Reid is off his medication again; better schedule Harrys next mental health review, and up the meds.

August 22, 2014 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. stormchaser 101

I just have two words to say. TERM LIMITS!!

August 22, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. sifto77

Sniffit..point is, we only heard about it from liberal media after he was forced to apologize..you libs are more entrenched than we even dreamed if you stick up for the slimy reid..

August 22, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Chris..E.Al

Before you know it Apache helicopters will be racist and the tomahawk cruise missiles and the Atlanta braves to ? As for the Redskins they should just put a potato on the helmet and when they get beat we can say they got creamed ? ?

August 22, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Me

Sniffit

""Can you give us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card?"
    ––

Really? Did you read the article where it talks about how he did just that with Sharon Angle? But I guess that wasn't really playing the race card, he was just being factual. Right Rudy?
    "

Yawn. Dude got called on it and apologized. When you call a GOPer/Teatrolls on it, they yell "race card" and "you're the REAL racist...you race hustler." If you can't tell the difference, then you might be an enabler.
    _________________________
    Don't you get dizzy rudy??? Spin spin spin is all you do!!

August 22, 2014 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Honestly

Look...Everyone is prejudice to a certain extent because we are humans who must form unfounded opinions in the midst of an unknown situation. The problem is when an individual or group of individuals have the money and power to create tides of change "for or against" an entire group or "Race" of people (i.e. racist). Everyone is prejudice, but everyone can't be a racist. I thank God for that!

August 22, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

tom l posted:

---------------------------–
    Ha. In neither example did you [you can be plural, you know] cited did he play the race card. If he played the race card, then why is it that the race that was supposed to have been offended didn't get offended? Hmm?

August 22, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |