Alaska Senate race heats up with heinous crime in the spotlight
Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, is fighting to keep his seat in this year's midterm elections.
September 1st, 2014
4 weeks ago

Alaska Senate race heats up with heinous crime in the spotlight

(CNN) – The campaign of Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, is changing a political ad to remove references to a gruesome murder case after the victims’ family called on the campaign to stop using the case for political purposes.

Begich's Republican challenger, Dan Sullivan, had released his own ad to counter Begich's commercial, and Sullivan's campaign agreed to take that ad down as well, in light of the family’s wishes.

The drama over the Willie Horton-style ad is the latest development in a tight Senate race that could determine the balance of power in the Senate.

A quick ad war

On Friday, Begich's campaign released an ad featuring a retired Anchorage police sergeant standing at the scene of a horrific crime in 2013, in which a man named Jerry Active is accused of beating an elderly couple to death, then sexually assaulting the couple's 2-year-old granddaughter as well as the girl’s great-grandmother, who has dementia.

Active had previously been sentenced to four years in prison for a 2009 sexual assault attempt, a sentence that should have been eight to 15 years but was shorter because the state failed to identify a prior felony conviction, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

While the retired sergeant in the ad, Bob Glen, doesn't mention any specific names in the spot, he describes the grisly acts and accuses Sullivan, who was Alaska's attorney general at the time of Active's plea bargain, of letting "a lot of sex offenders get off with light sentences."

"One of them got out of prison and is now charged with breaking into that apartment building, murdering a senior couple and sexually assaulting their 2-year-old granddaughter," Glen says in the ad.

Sullivan's campaign quickly put out an ad of its own, called "Shameful," with the GOP candidate rebutting the claims in the initial ad that Sullivan is soft on sex offenders.

Sullivan’s campaign also released a timeline that points out the sentencing mistake was made by the state before Sullivan was appointed attorney general in June 2009. (Begich's campaign, however, noted Sullivan's name appears on the plea agreement that was issued in March 2010.)

plea agreement

Family demands the ads be taken down

After both ads aired, an attorney representing the victims' family asked the candidates to take down the spots, saying the publicity about the case could affect the trial, which is scheduled for September.

Sullivan's campaign issued a notice to Alaska television stations on Sunday, asking them to remove the counter-ad because it references the case. Monday night, it removed details about the case, including Active's name, from its website.

A spokesman for Begich’s campaign said the team is modifying the ad “to remove any potential reference to the pending criminal case."

Monday morning, his campaign removed material about the ad and asked television stations to replace the current ad with an older campaign ad until the ad at issue had been changed.

Still, the family's lawyer, Bryon Collins, issued a letter Monday demanding Begich to "unconditionally order the removal of ALL ads and references to anything to do with the case," either directly or indirectly.

Collins later communicated privately Monday that he approved of the actions taken by Begich to remove references to the case, according to Begich's campaign.

Collins did not return calls from CNN.

CNN’s Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • Alaska • Mark Begich • Senate
  1. salty dog

Uh just me, or total BS, I agree with all your positions you say you have, so I guess I'm missing something, those positions align you more with the Democrats, and for gods sake, trickle down economics don't work, and literally every single proposal from the gop on economic policy is exactly that, now you understand my confusion?

September 2, 2014 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Anonymous

it must be said
    Repulsive Rightwing Republicans Recreating Reactionary Revolting Rhetoric Regarding Reality .

Remember what the R stands for America!

September 2, 2014 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Thomas

@ it must be said

Remember what the R stands for America!

September 2, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

salty dog

----------------------------
    By definition, libertarianism has more in common with liberal point of views than with conservatives. In recent years we have seen the rise of a new breed of libertarianism, one which has an extreme edge to it. Many of these people are the anti-tax, anti-government types that you find on the extreme right.

Both, tom and smith, have put as much distance between themselves and the "moderate" moniker as they possibly could. There's only one spot left for them on the ideological map, and it's very close to the fringes. Once America exploded the atomic and plutonium bombs, "big man" and "little man", over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it became impossible for America to sit on the sidelines as an isolationist. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply delusional.

September 2, 2014 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Tom l

Rudy,

Your post demonstrates how you don't listen to anything someone says that doesn't have the same political views as you. You asked last week for me to post my non-repub positions which I did. You chose to ignore that and continue your meme to make yourself feel better and cater to the gang rather than have a dialogue.

September 2, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Fair is Fair

"Once America exploded the atomic and plutonium bombs, "big man" and "little man", over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it became impossible for America to sit on the sidelines as an isolationist. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply delusional."
    ---------
    You should at least try to get the terminology right. Uranium bomb over Hiroshima = "Little Boy", Plutonium bomb over Nagasaki = "Fat Man". Loosely named after FDR and Churchill, respectively.

September 2, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

"Republicans giving us divisiveness??? Now THAT is truly comical. The demonizer in chief has been hard at work for 6 years on that. Harry Reid's personal attacks on the Senate floor? Calling fellow Americans terrorists? The left has perfected the divide and conquer strategy with their "War on Everything" BS.

The fact is that if the American people wanted what Obama and the Democrats were selling, they would never have thrown the Democrats out in 2010, and would have put them back in 2012, right? The fact is the American people elected them in 2010 to stop the out of control leftist Obama-Democrat agenda. The fact is the American people have had enough of the Democrat failure and leftist rubbish and will throw them out of the Senate in 2014."
    ----------------------------
    Yes, Republicans and conservatives are divisive. You conveniently forget about how Sarah Palin implied that candidate Obama was a terrorist, by saying that "he's been palling around with terrorists." We have seen people named Beck on Fox News accusing Pres. Obama of being a racist and "hates white people."

Republicans pulled the bait and switch on the American people in "The Great Sucker Punch" election of 2010, which is EXACTLY why Romney lost and Republicans lost ground in the Congress. Americans see Republicans using the same playbook in 2014. In 2010, it was "jobs, jobs, jobs." In 2014, it's what? I don't know. Republicans don't actually stand for anything besides being against everything. They're against Pres. Obama, who isn't running for another public office in his life. They're against the Affordable Care Act. They're against any kind of reform out there, preferring to conserve and protect the status quo. Oops, my bad. Republicans are actually for something. They are for the wealthy and big business.

September 2, 2014 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

Tom l

Rudy,

-----------------------------------

September 2, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

---
    ==============================================================
    Thanks for the clarification. I was going by memory there.

September 2, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. Lisa P

bobo

Vote out all Dems.... look what they gave us.... Obamacare and a failed stimulus package..... No leadership abroad....
    September 2, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm
    --------------------------------

That was the Republicans, actually, backing up the very worst of the pro-insurance company Democrats in their quest to preserve a failed system and refusing to vote for a stimulus that was big enough to make a difference. Scheming against America so our elected President would fail to win a second term, undercutting his ability to face down our enemies abroad. You're correct about one thing, though - what we need to do about it. These criminals need to be voted out of office if our country is going to succeed for all of us again.

September 2, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. Ol' Yeller

@Rudy NYC
    "Actually, listening to you is exactly what has formed my opinion about you. I've contended from day one that you are pretending to be something that you're not. It's your unwavering, enthusiastic support of the most extreme of right wing positions that people have a problem with, tom. If you really supported those "anti-repub" positions, then why haven't you been criticizing them as you have votes and positions taken by Democrats? Because you're bias outweighs everything."

The only thing you get by disagreeing with tom i or pointing out his obvious bias is membership in his self created 'gang'. (He dusted it off it in both posts after my response... back to the victim defense)

Maybe that big bad gun is just compensation for a lack of something else...

Like courage (or something else).

September 2, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. tom l

Rudy NYC

Tom l

Rudy,

-----------–
    ====

September 2, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. tom l

And, while you're at it Rudy, why don't you tell me all of these " unwavering, enthusiastic support of the most extreme of right wing positions" that I hold (and remember, don't exaggerate my positions nor mischaracterize them). So, don't say that because I support smaller govt that I don't want any govt because that would be a lie.

September 2, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. tom l

I said earlier to ol yeller:

You continue to mistake my criticisms of dems (and there have been several of repubs) as meaning that I love repubs. I don't. You think I "worship" Rand Paul because I think he is better than most other politicians and exaggerate that stance by me to mean that I think he is G-d. You constantly put your feelings that you feel and place them on me as if I will feel the same way. This is why I say you project a lot. You make assumptions about me. You say I don't listen (which has a degree of truth to it) as if you do listen.

That being said, I am weary. I am tired. It is exhausting having the 2 of us talk at each other rather than learn from each other why we have the opinions that we do. Let's try to have discussions moving forward; rather than mean spirited accusatory comments that get us nowhere. I'm tired of the politicians winning (and what I mean by this is having us at each other's throats.). Let's have dialogue and learn. I know we are both quality, intelligent individuals. Let's learn from each other.
    ====

and ol yeller's non-reply to me but a reply to Rudy:

=====

September 2, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Somebody needs a life.....

September 2, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. Democrat Junk

Anybody that wastes more than 15 minutes a day on this site need a life........

September 2, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. Boomer in Mo

Lisa P, most of the stimulus came from the Geo. W. term. And some of it worked, although you would not believe that, I'm sure. But I live in an overwhelmingly Republican county that had a real "shovel ready" project started immediately after the bill was signed and it was completed ahead of schedule. I no longer cross myself before I have to cross the Osage River on Highway 17.

September 2, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Fair is Fair

Ol' Yeller

"And... tony d... pretty funny projecting your self admitted childish fears onto 'the lefties' after you just posted how the big bad boogie man was hiding around every corner and you needed your big bad gun to protect you from the big bad booger bears.

Maybe that big bad gun is just compensation for a lack of something else...

Like courage (or something else)."
    --------–
    So let's see... I'm a female. I own 2 weapons (an S&W .38 revolver and a Glock 9mm). I have a conceal carry permit. I carry not because I think there's a "big bad boogie man around every corner", but IN CASE there happens to be one around the next corner I turn. My weapons are only compensating for the fact that without them, I stand no chance.

Oh, one other thing. I have enough courage to use them,

What say you?

September 2, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

"I have criticized. On several occasions. You just don't listen. In fact, how many times have I said that "I don't like repubs" yet for some reason that doesn't count in Rudy's book. You asked last week for me to give a list of positions that I disagree with repubs on and I did. You chose not to respond to that and continue on trying to discredit me, for some reason. You keep trying to label me this or that because that's very important to you. Yet, even in those labels you don't even understand what they mean since you can't decipher the difference between "moderate" and "independent". You have labeled yourself as "moderate" yet I hardly find that to be the case since you are agree with every liberal/dem talking point and position. So read my post from earlier in this thread and you can see for yourself for the umpteenth time the several positions that I don't agree with repubs on.

And, for the record, I am not anti-tax nor am I anti-govt in the way you are portraying it. That is you taking my positions to the extreme. I am against BIG govt and HIGH taxes which is far far different from your portrayal of me."
    ------------------------–
    "I don't like Repubs." You're right. That's a failing grade in my book.

You fail the sniff test because you fail to criticize "Repubs" whenever they do anything that disagrees with the majority of Americans. As I recall, you blamed Democrats for everything from the government shutdown, to the Great Recession, to TARP, and even the high annual debt, which has been cut by more than half.

More times than not, you will adopt the right wing's false narratives on a wide range of issues, especially the "tax and spend" stereotype conservatives like to assign on liberals. For example, you have repeated the 'transfer of wealth' talking point that has come into high fashion on the right. Hasn't anyone ever pointed out to you that people living in the here and now of reality recognize the hypocrisy of that accusation because "trickle down economics" is exactly that, a transfer of wealth on an even more massive scale. And, we're supposed to believe that the same people who are quick to tell you to "take responsibility" are the same people who would suddenly become benevolent and start creating jobs when there is no demand for them?

#NOBODYSFOOLED

September 2, 2014 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. Tony

Tom l, you need to stop posting long-winded responses. After a while people stop reading your long-winded posts. Also, you may want to take the Democratic side of an argument once in a while, if you want other people to believe that you are non-partisan. You have all these non-Republican positions, but we don't hear about them until you feel that you need to defend yourself, which seems to be a regular occurrence on this blog. You always jump into an argument on the Republican side, but never on the Democratic side. After a while, nobody believes that you are non-partisan.

September 2, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. salty dog

Democrat junk, your explanation of why your employer went union was a bit vauge and your statement came from a lenghty discussion with him or them? Didn't exactly think so, and did you make more as a union guy, and you don't think you were worth it, overpaid were you? And did that company go out of business?

September 2, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Tom L posted:

"So I guess you aren't tired and just want to continue the non-dialogue and demonization. And, again with the "victim" claim which I have no idea where that comes from as I am no victim to anyone. I have tried to have conversations and reached out to you and this is your response. Disappointing to say the least."
    --------------------------------------
    You have no right to accuse anyone of demonization, not when you came onto this site launching personal attacks and demonizing other posters. You don't try to have conversations, you try to manufacture arguments by framing your opponent's narrative for them. "you believe this, now defend it." I'm not sorry that you're disappointed. Did you really think that someone, anyone, is going to buy into your playing the victim card" "my feelings are hurt." That's pathetic.

#NOBODYSFOOLED

September 2, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Ol' Yeller

@Fair

Oh, one other thing. I have enough courage to use them,

What say you?

Good for you... I can respect someone being cautious and prepared (I own guns myself- including a Glock). tony d, however, reflects in his initial post that his reality consists of this long list of boogie men and it his him and his pistol against an army of criminals, cretins, and father rapers.
    I have no issues with responsible gun owners.
    I do take issue with gun nuts.

September 2, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. tom l

=====
    I did not blame dems for the shutdown. I blamed both parties for the shutdown you just didn't want to hear that and as soon as I place blame on someone other than repubs you go into lockdown mode and have to spew your democrat talking points which I then must refute as you are ignoring half the problem. I blame both parties for the recession (which wasn't really that "great' and the one in the late 70's was far worse). I blame repubs for TARP as it was George Bush who passed that. I find the irony of dems like you claiming that Obama saved us from the great recession yet it was a repub bill passed that he used to "fix" it (according to you guys, the economy has been fixed). The debt is obviously both parties fault and to lay blame on one vs the other shows your hyper partisanship. Also, you don't even seem to understand the difference between "debt" and "deficit" as your post indicates. Yes, our deficit has been cut, but that's only due to taking in more taxes ("revenues") than ever before. It is not due to an actual cut in spending. So read again, dear Rudy. Perhaps you will actually take the time to read it.

September 2, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  25. just asking

salty dog
    Independent studies showed 97% of the worlds leading scientists believe in it,
    ---

'believe' in climate change? yes, that makes it a religion. welcome to the religious zealotry of the left, masquerading as science.

September 2, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |