(CNN) – Justice Department officials expressed a measure of regret on Thursday that the agency went as far as it did in national security leak investigations involving close scrutiny of reporters, and expressed a commitment to review its guidelines so reporters would not be at legal risk for doing their jobs.
That was a readout of a meeting on Thursday between Attorney General Eric Holder and media executives over the agency's policies, according to journalists who attended the discussion.
Washington (CNN) - Embattled Attorney General Eric Holder's long-time friend Reid Weingarten, the high-powered Washington attorney, came to his defense Thursday telling CNN that off-the-record sessions with media executives were not meant as a mea culpa.
"This is not about Eric Holder giving his defense. This is a policy discussion Eric has been instructed to do by the president. He wants people to sit down and roll up their sleeves," Weingarten says. "This is not a charm offensive. This is substantive."
Updated at 12:38 p.m. ET on Thursday 5/30
Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder's plans to sit down with media representatives to discuss guidelines for handling investigations into leaks to the news media have run into trouble.
The Associated Press issued a statement Wednesday objecting to plans for the meetings to be off the record. "If it is not on the record, AP will not attend and instead will offer our views on how the regulations should be updated in an open letter," said Erin Madigan White, the AP's media relations manager.
Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder, a political lightning rod for Republican critics of the Obama administration, is under fire for two cases involving secret subpoenas or searches for phone records and other information of journalists involved in reports about leaked classified information.FULL STORY
Updated Wednesday 5/29 at 1:59 p.m. ET
Washington (CNN) – Questions over whether or not the government notified the parent company of Fox News about an investigation into one of its reporters continued to swirl Wednesday as the Justice Department's review of leak probes was set to begin.
The agency is battling accusations of overreach in its attempt to quash leaks of sensitive national security details to the press. In two separate cases, phone records of reporters were seized in a bid to ferret out officials who were providing classified information to the media.
Updated Wednesday 5/29 at 10:46 a.m. ET
(CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder will begin meetings with representatives of media organizations this week as part of his review of how the federal government handles leak investigations, a Justice Department official said Wednesday.
The meetings with chiefs of Washington bureaus will begin Thursday, and will include representatives from a wide range of media outlets, including newspapers, wire services, radio and television broadcasters, and online organizations.
Updated Wednesday 5/29 at 9:05 a.m. ET
(CNN) - The Republican-controlled House Judiciary Committee is looking into whether Attorney General Eric Holder lied under oath earlier this month when he said he wasn't involved in the "potential prosecution of the press," two Republican committee sources confirmed Tuesday.
Though he testified in a May 15 Congressional hearing that he's "never heard of" the press being potentially charged for obtaining leaked material, it has since been reported that he signed off on the Justice Department's decision to seek a search warrant in 2010 for Fox News reporter James Rosen's private e-mails as part of a leak probe.
(CNN) – Attorney General Eric Holder’s direct involvement in the decision to search a reporter’s e-mail records should bar him from leading a review of how the government investigates national security leaks, Republicans argued Sunday.
The decision to apply for a warrant to search Fox News reporter James Rosen’s private correspondence was vetted at the Justice Department's highest levels, including Holder, a Justice official said last week, although the later decision to issue the warrant was made by a federal magistrate judge.
Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder was involved in the Justice Department's decision to seek a search warrant for Fox News reporter James Rosen's private e-mails, a Justice official told CNN.
The decision to apply for the search warrant was vetted at the department's highest levels, including Holder, the official said, although the decision to issue a warrant was made by a federal magistrate judge.
Washington (CNN) - Counterterrorism drone strikes have killed four Americans overseas since 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged on Wednesday.
In a letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, Holder said the United States specifically targeted and killed one U.S. citizen, al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen, and knew about three other Americans who had been killed in counter-terror drone strikes.FULL STORY