Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder was involved in the Justice Department's decision to seek a search warrant for Fox News reporter James Rosen's private e-mails, a Justice official told CNN.
The decision to apply for the search warrant was vetted at the department's highest levels, including Holder, the official said, although the decision to issue a warrant was made by a federal magistrate judge.
(CNN) – Justice Department officials investigating a leak of secret government information tracked the personal e-mails, phone calls and physical movements of a reporter for the Fox News Channel, according to a report Monday in the Washington Post.
Further, an FBI agent assigned to the case wrote the reporter, James Rosen, had likely broken the law by soliciting classified information from a government source, a standard journalistic practice that has rarely been regarded as criminal by law enforcement.
Washington (CNN) - Thomas Perez, President Obama's nominee to be labor secretary, was approved by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (H.E.L.P) committee on Thursday on a straight party line vote.
Perez has come under heavy fire from Republicans for his actions when he headed the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice earlier in the Obama administration.
Washington (CNN) – In the wake of the controversial decision by the Justice Department to subpoena phone records from the Associated Press in a probe of national security leaks, a top Democratic senator said Wednesday he wants to put in place stricter standards for government seizure of media records.
Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York wants to switch those sensitive decisions from the attorney general, who is currently empowered to issue subpoenas to news organizations, to a federal judge who is independent of the executive branch.
Washington (CNN) – Secretly accessing phone records of journalists. IRS targeting of conservative groups. Misleading statements last year about the Benghazi terrorist attack.
News headlines of the past week portray an administration engulfed in potential scandal, providing opponents of President Barack Obama with plenty of ammunition to try to derail his agenda in the early months of his second term.FULL STORY
(CNN) – Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he has ordered an investigation of any criminal wrongdoing in the IRS targeting of conservative groups.
Washington (CNN) - Even though he's done running for office, President Barack Obama has a lot at stake in next year's midterm elections. And a trio of scandals that have ignited over the past week that have forced the White House to play defense have the strong possibility of hurting the president and his party at the polls in November 2014.
"Even though I've run my last race, I'm going to be working as hard as I can to make sure that their vision is one that is dominant on Capitol Hill," said the president, speaking about Democratic congressional leaders, Monday night at a party fundraiser in New York City.
(CNN) – President Barack Obama is "a strong believer in the First Amendment" and also "recognizes the need for the Justice Department to investigate alleged criminal activity," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday following reports that the Justice Department secretly collected phone records from the Associated Press as part of a leak investigation.
Beyond news reports, the White House has "no knowledge" of any such attempt by the Justice Department, Carney said, adding that the White House is not involved in the agency's criminal investigations, "as those matters are handled appropriately by the Justice Department independently."
(CNN) - The Justice Department filed an appeal Wednesday over a federal judge's ruling that directed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to make emergency contraception available to females of all ages without a prescription.
The move comes one day after the FDA announced that it had approved the availability of the Plan B One-Step emergency contraception pill without a prescription for females ages 15 and older.FULL STORY
Washington (CNN) - Thousands of Department of Justice employees can breathe a little easier after learning they won't be furloughed due to forced budget cuts, but that assurance is good only until October 1, when a new fiscal year begins for the federal government.
Attorney General Eric Holder sent a memo to department workers on Wednesday, which CNN obtained. It said, "thousands of critical FBI and ATF agents, deputy U.S. marshals, prosecutors, and other department employees will remain on the job protecting national security, fighting violent crime and enforcing our laws."FULL STORY