June 3rd, 2007

Who won the debate?

Who do you think won the debate? Click on the "Add a Comments" link and give us your response.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Garrett - Garland, Texas

EDWARDS

Tomorrow Begins Today.

June 3, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  2. Bonny, Watson, Louisiana

Senator Clinton. We watched the debate and was not to impressed with Senator Obama–he looked like he was trying to please to many people. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Hillary Clinton. I was not convinced until tonight that I would actually vote for a female for president but she settled any doubts I had!!!!

June 3, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  3. John , Baltimore, md

Bill Richardson, John Edwards, were the winners. Gravel and Kucinich, did well.

June 3, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. elle, manchester, nh

Hilary. Obama was a disappointment.

June 3, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. Melanie E., Indiana

Overall Kucinich won. Out of the top three Barack Obama won hands down!

June 3, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Neale Walsch, Ashland, Oregon

This is a tough call. Overall, I think Clinton won. She was forceful, extremely well informed, comes off as polished, intelligent, and clear. Obama seems less decisive. I like Kucinich on several issues. He, too, is clear and direct. Edwards speaks well, but I would vote for Clinton or Obama...even Kucinich, before Edwards. Can't tell you why. The others just seem to have more substance, more personal power. I was impressed with Joe Biden tonight. He came in a STRONG third in my ratings, behind Hillary and Barack.

June 3, 2007 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Maureen Gehrig, Washington, DC

Senator Clinton handled herself as a true stateswoman and without a doubt the candidate most qualified to be president. YOU GO GIRL! You make all women proud :-)Being a 1970's feminist, I've waited a long time for this moment in history.

June 3, 2007 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. Risa Miller

Can't wait to have a Clinton back in the White House- does that answer the question- she gets it, she owns it , and she has lived it her whole life!

June 3, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  9. william, stone mountain, ga

biden and edwards helped themselves - clinton and obama are falling.

June 3, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. Mike, Silver Spring, MD

Obama

June 3, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Alex Luthor, Madison, WI

Biden, but I won't vote for him.

Gravel made the top 3-even though he was given the least amount of time of anyone. 5 minutes, 37 seconds? I want CNN to give EQUAL time to ALL the candidates. Ask one question and have every candidate answer it.

June 3, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  12. Gladys Wigen, Missoula MT

Kucinich.

June 3, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Dennis, Sarasota, Florida

Biden was the winner based on his leadership , decisiveness and willingness to at least answer the questions posed to him.

June 3, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  14. JLH, Japan

i think Hilary Clinton won tonight. Edwards sounds like a moaning old woman when he talks, criticising his colleagues. He speaks down to voters as if they do not understand politics and the difficult decisions that are made... I know what I believe and how I would vote but actually being in that position is much more difficult and more complicated. Voters understand that. Obama, i like but he is all too clean for me...he hasnt gotten his hands dirty in politics yet, therefore I cant see how he would react in a tight position and make etremly difficult or unpopular decisions. Obama needs to run next time. I think he is too young and inexpericenced and 'looks tooo good' to be taken seriously.

H. clinton is best equipped for this most difficult but rewarding job. the others just arent steping up to the plate. The US needs a strong President and I dont think the others are ready for this job yet or have the guts to take the US forward!

June 3, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  15. M Gress, Cyril, OK

I was thoroughly impressed with the performance by Sen. Joseph Biden and Rep. Dennis Kucinich in the Presidential debate held this evening. Biden spoke with sincerity and passion; Kucinich debated with coherency and well thought out points (especially the topics including NAFTA and WTO). While I didn't necessarily agree with the two candidates on every issue, I must submit the expectation to see their numbers in the polls to rise.

June 3, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. Kelly K

I think they were ALL fantastic compared to the current president we have! I'm an "anybody but Bush" person. I think the best ticket would include Bill Richardson, but not as the frontrunner, as the vice president because he has great ideas and was an ambassador, so would be great in foreign relations, etc. Hilary/Richardson, Obama/Richardson or Edwards/Richardson would be great tickets!!

June 3, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. C, Pgh, PA

What debate were you people watching?

Who won? In order: Biden, Dodd, Edwards, Kucinich.

Biden was forceful and showed leadership, as did Dodd. Edwards pointed out differences between himself and Clinton/Obama in a convincing and articulate manner. Kucinich just because he is telling what he truly feels and believes, whether you like it or not. (So does Gravel, but he didn't get to speak much.)

Who lost? Richardson, Clinton.

While I believe that Richardson is intelligent and has depth, he just doesn't come across that way, just like he didn't come across that way on Russert a couple weeks ago. He was terrible again tonight.

Clinton lost because she has the most to lose.

June 3, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Julia, Boston, Massachusetts

John Edwards

June 3, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. Dr. Kristin Olson Rao, Olney, MD

Hillary Clinton won the debate.

June 3, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  20. Tom Lowe, Havertown, PA

I support Obama, but I felt that John Edwards was the slight winner tonight. I'd say Obama came in 2nd and Hillary in 3rd - even though she did very little to do so.

I think Dodd and Biden did OK within their tier. There really only needs to be one candidate who is on the Democratic Party's fringe and Gravel makes for one too many. Richardson has performed very poorly and, to me, has become the most underwhelming 'serious' candidate of the bunch.

On a side note, I believe that those who talk about this on TV are truly out of touch with how real Americans see the winners and losers of this debate. While most of the talking heads have dubbed Hillary the 'winner' of these first two debates, I would bet the house that an online poll would not support their opinion.

June 3, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  21. denis, Inwood WV

No clear winner, except those of us who like to see & hear candidates instead of political reporters telling us what THEY think about what a candidate said. I guess I was watching a different debate than the talking head brigade. Clinton wasn't the overwhelming presence they thought she was, nor was Richardson the dweeb they made him out to be. If Biden was too forceful for them, if he and other "second tier" candidates got equal consideration perhaps he wouldn't have to be so forceful to ensure he got to finish making a point. Clearly the "journalists" want Clinton or Obama – probably because then they can take it easy and just do puff pieces on personality instead of educating voters on candidate's positions.

Btw, why didn't anyone pick up (during the English question) on Ms. Clinton's concerns about not being able to print ballots in other languages? Silly me – I have the antiquated notion that if you are a citizen you are supposed to speak and write ENGLISH! If you can't be bothered to learn it, maybe you shouldn't be voting!

June 3, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. EricD

In the limited opportunity provided, 11:42, Edwards seemed the most on point and differentiated himself from the positions of his opponents, even though they share many general views. Obama was given the most time, 16:00, and thus had more opportunity to expound.

June 3, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  23. Laura, Littleton, CO

Edwards won. He is the one that understands the difference betweeen "leading and legislating." He talked about plans for universal health care, college and for solving gas prices. I have confidence in his ability to represent Americans as a moral and strong people

June 3, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  24. Randy , Houston Tx

You can tell who the REAL Democrats are. Blitzer showed himself to be a Republican shill as he was clearly prejudiced against Kucinich and Gravel and favoring Billary, Obama and Edwards. IF the debate had been run faily then it would have been obvious that Kucinich is the best candidate.

June 3, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  25. Ryan, Newmarket, NH

Biden gained my support tonight. He was the only candidate on stage that was clear, consice, and most importantly – HONEST! Sen. Biden was spot on in his assessment with funding our troops. He is the only candidate (with maybe the exception of Gravel) that refrains from pandering to the extreme left for political gain.

June 3, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |