June 3rd, 2007

Who won the debate?

Who do you think won the debate? Click on the "Add a Comments" link and give us your response.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. sri kolli,chesterfeild,mo

clinton won the debate

June 3, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  2. Dennis Perkins, Livingston, TX

Biden won hands down. Richardson was my man until he advocated not breaking up illegal immigrant families.
    English only for voting is right and proper. If you understand English, and speak it, then there shouldn't be a problem. I have worked overseas, and my international shot record was a must. We have to control our borders!
    An illegal immigrant epidemic carrier will show us the error of our policy.

June 3, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. James Selinski, Buffalo NY

I think Hillary clearly won the debate, but Obama showed great vision and a natural tendency to think at a higher level. I'm pretty much undecided between those two right now.

Regardless of which individual was the winner, the Democratic parter was the biggest winner. It was a very good debate, perhaps the best I've ever seen.

June 3, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  4. Juan Nieto, M.D., Austin, Texas

Kudos for Congressman Kucinich for making this a real debate...his ideas on healthcare are the best! He is obviously the most conscientious and sincere candidate with no fear. As a physician, I believe that his approach is the only real solution to a national crisis. I invite all the other candidates to my ER to see how their plans would make a difference!

June 3, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. Mitch Henry, Des Moines, Iowa

OBAMA

June 3, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Definitely Hillary Clinton. Obama's Health Care is from the Hillary's(14 Years ago) basically also every answer was hesitating and unclear. Edwards is shaky, he doesn't answer his point always use other candidate's name and explain, he is vulgar, I can't trust him. Hillary was very calm, respect others, answered clearly and conquared the all of candidates,she showed the leadership, they paid attention to Hillary, she controlled the debate tonight.

June 3, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. Matthew, Ann Arbor, MI

Despite what I would consider irresponsible coverage by CNN (i.e. giving the most air time to the three "front runners" and having put them together in the prime seats for convenient viewing) I would have to say Bill Richardson convinced me that he has the most experience in affairs, both foreign and domestic. He demonstrated, more than any of the other candidates, that he has the knowledge and ability to tackle this country's most important issues. I still consider myself a supporter of Obama, but Richardson has gained significant ground.

June 3, 2007 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  8. David Erlichman, Harrisburg, PA

I'm so sick and tired of Wolf Blitzer that it's sickening to listen to anything he says. He'a HORRIBLE moderator as he loves to hear himself more than the Presidential candidate's answer (as if he is on the same ego status as them) and constantly forced the candidtates to hold up their hands like school children as he blatently gave the medica's "front's runners" more time than the other candidates. Why invite the other candidates if the entire process is rigged against them?
    How could Edwards avoid answering any questions on his $500,000 salary from the "off shore tax shelter" (for doing nothing), his $55,000 speaking fee from a state university on "poverty" and the O'Reilly report showing that his neighbors (across the street from his 30,000 sqaure foot palace absolutely hate him.) Blitzer need to fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst debate I've ever seen, although with his 7 minutes of total time Biden was the clear winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2007 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Eileen, Maplewood, NJ

Without a doubt, Clinton continues to be seen as Presedential.

June 3, 2007 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Hilary Clinton. No question in my mind.

June 3, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Jeremy, Gastonia , NC

John Edwards for sure. With the Iraq issue particularly.

June 3, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. Rachel, St. Louis, MO

I am a Democrat still unsure about who I will vote for in the primaries. Yet, tonight it was clear that Hillary Clinton would make a poised, assertive, intelligent, and well reasoned President. She definitely won the debate, even calling out Wolf Blitzer on his attempt (with the hand raising) to garner ratings with overblown hypotheticals. Obama had a very very off night. Really disappointing. Other than that, all of Biden's responses were clear and to the point (which I appreciated). The rest of the candidates were blah.
    Great Job Hillary!!

June 3, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  13. Kimberly, Raleigh, NC

OBAMA WON THIS ONE!!! I find it interesting that in the post-debate review, several of the panelists with Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer felt that Obama didn't go after Hilary more because it's not in his nature – that's what the country needs! Unity, not division! Even though Hilary may be making some good moves, how can we realistically elect a 'team' as president, much less a 'team' still under a cloud of controversy due to Whitewater?
    OBAMA '08

June 3, 2007 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  14. Mark Barritt, Tampa, Florida

None of them won. They're all pigs at the feeding trough, ready to pit people of different socio-economic backgrounds against one another. Let's get real here and understand that aside from Kucinich (whom I don't agree politically with AT ALL, but who expresses new ideas) they are all spewing the same rhetoric, waiting to institute SOCIALISM in its purest form as soon as they're given the opportunity. At a time when most in Europe even are turning away from leftist ideals, this motley crew continues to plot a path towards apathy, ignorance, and non-productivity for our entire nation. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from Barack Hussein Obama and his plan to REQUIRE veterans to be treated at veteran's hospitals. My father is a veteran, has private health insurance, and has been treated at a variety of private hospitals. I'm quite surprised that Hillary didn't bring up her quote from before whereby she suggested that "we're going to take those profits (referring to oil companies)." Who in the hell is she to tell a private business venture that she's going to come in and set what is acceptable for a profit margin? Thanks, but I'll take my health care private, my marketplace free of useless leftist regulation, and my taxes low.

June 3, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  15. Mike San Diego,CA

BILL RICHARDSON!!

June 3, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  16. Debby K. Hill

I think that John Edwards won this debate, he showed leadership and a strength of character that we need in our presidents, and something we have been missing since G.W. took office.

June 3, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  17. Jamie Jonesville, VA

I was horribly disappointed in Hillary Clinton. At the beginning of the evening, I was leaning towards Clinton, now, after watching her and listening to her answers, I'm nearly certain I couldn't vote for her. This is sad as I dearly DEARLY wanted to vote for a woman for president. However, I refuse to vote for her simply because she IS a woman.

I believe Edwards did wonderfully, I was thankful for his honesty and a bit surprised by how active a role he took in the debate. He seems extremely educated and passionate. Very nice.

Obama was also great, maybe more so for what he didn't say than what he did. He didn't try to attack Hillary, he didn't try to trash the Bush administration (not that they don't deserve it!) he did however seem cool, concise, and educated about the issues. It's nice to know that there is a politician that is capable of being all these things.

I was also impressed with what Richardson said. While not the best speaker, what he actually said was refreshing.

It's still too early for me to pick my favorite, but this debate did help me form more solid opinions.

June 3, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. John, Groton, CT

Joe Biden impressed me the most concerning Darfur. I sensed his ability to "Give a Damn" about poor people without a lot of oil. They bleed just like the abused born in oil rich countries with internal conflicts.

June 3, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  19. Gail Huntley, Duluth, MN 55803

Good format. All did well, but the most electable was John Edwards. How many more of these are we going to have to watch. By primary time we all will be able to give their stump speeches. Hope the American public is paying attention, not just us political hacks.

June 3, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. Kaitlin, Manchester, New Hampshire

Biden won me over & the debate.. Edwards second & Dodd needed more talk time.

June 3, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  21. Montana Miller, Perrysburg, Ohio

Edwards, Obama, and Clinton all did very well, but I thought Edwards was the most impressive. He won me over completely. I'd love to see him on a ticket with either one of the other two!

June 3, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. Glenn, Wauconda IL

1. Hillary-I am sorry to say, she was poised and wouldn't let the other candidates paint her into a corner on her iraq vote, and at times she was controlling the debate. Don't get me wrong, I am still supporting Obama, but no doubt Hillary maintained her front-runner status.
    2. Obama-He looked pretty smooth and polished and I was happy to see him call out edwards on his Iraq leadership, I aslo thought it took courage to say he would not be afraid to use the military against Bin Laden. As i said above, ih ew wants to win he needs to start calling out hillary on Iraq,where she is most vulnerable.
    3. Biden, clearly placed himself at the top of the 2nd teir had some strong answers and wasn't afraid to get a little loud.
    4. Edwards, he is starting to go beyond looking boyish and into kind of whiney, His answers sounded too scripted.
    5. Richardson, clealry has done a lot of good as New Mexico govenor, but didn't cite the cost of brinig those programs to the federal level. Also wasa too soft spoken. I think he would be a good VP.
    6. Chris Dodd, Didn't do anything to distingush himself from the other candidates, he should be out soon.
    7. Dennis Kucinich. Clealry has some good ideas, but looks like an idiot while presenting them and is clealry way too liberal to ever get elected.
    8. Mike Gravel, looking like a doddering fool who knows nothing about politics.

June 3, 2007 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  23. Sted, New Orleans, Louisiana

Hilary Clinton was dynamic and has the air of dignity our presidency needs. Remember the US needs someone to remake the image of America after the Bush Regime, and surely she has shown her allegiance to her country, whilst respecting humanity, for many many years now. Obama is playing too much on the black card and 'trying' to sound and 'look' confident, he just seems to affected, and has not the experience to redirect our country unlike Hilary Clinton. As a Black American man, Hilary will get my vote!

June 3, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  24. Jether, Charlotte, NC

In my opinion, Sen. Obama won the debate because he was very calm and concise with his responses. He also seemed to be very genuine and to the point on subjects that were raised. Obama looked presidential too!

June 3, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |