June 3rd, 2007

Who won the debate?

Who do you think won the debate? Click on the "Add a Comments" link and give us your response.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Nunayer Beezwax, Duluth, MN

Joe Biden far and away won this debate, he appears to be the most intelligent, forceful, confident, and presidential of the Democratic candidates. I dearly hope he at least gets chosen as the Vice, as he probably won't get the nomination.

Anybody else salivating over the fantasy ticket of Gore/Biden?

Gravel is clearly ignorant and borderline crazy...Kucinich is far too passive and peacenik...Dodd is an empty suit and far too much of a politician...Richardson is an egotistical gasbag whose self-destruction has only begun...Obama appears childish and ignorant...Clinton comes across as angry and defensive...Edwards is too much of a slick lawyer...Biden is clearly the strongest of the candidates and unless Gore gets into the race, he is the Democrats' best hope.

June 4, 2007 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  2. Michael, Huntington, W.Va.

SENATOR CLINTON is the obvious winner. She was poignantly presidential. I agree with many of the analysts that she went in the front runner and came out the front runner. In my opinion, she even picked up a point or two in the polls.

June 4, 2007 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  3. Bonnie, Toledo, OH

1. Biden – Leadership with heart
    2. Kucinich – Courage to stand up for his beliefs
    3. Clinton – Overall grip on the world
    8. Edwards – We have a bully in office already!

June 4, 2007 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  4. John Isocoff, Birmingham, AL

Mark Barritt, I'm surprised you turned from FOX long enough to even see the debate. That's okay...just keep drinking the Cool-Aid.
    More importantly, I think Hillary won tonight. She's going to continue to take it hard from the right, but I think she's up for the task. This is certainly her race to win or lose, and I think tonight she won it.

June 4, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  5. Yam, Las Cruces, NM

I think Obama won the debate because he was clear and confident on the issues.

June 4, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  6. Elaine Thomas, Norton, Ohio

I think Edwards won. I glad he brought that up about Clinton and Obama waiting to cast their vote. I was for Clinton but now I am going to take a closer look at the other candidates. I was disappointed in Obama but I think Biden did great.

June 4, 2007 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  7. Seamus, Bellingham, WA

Richardson gave really strong answers, often bringing in issues (education, Guantanamo Bay) that were ignored by both the other candidates and the questioners. Obama stumbled too many answers to really make a positive impression.

June 4, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  8. Greensburg, PA

Barack Obama

:He lived up to the hype, as his strong policy resonated throughout the night. He was constantly attacked by Sen. Edwards who attmepted to create a live smear campaign of both Obama and Clinton, but Obama seemed to prevail. Sen. Clinton performed well on some issues, but appeared shakey on other's she has to be more honest with the american people and not hide her humility.

June 4, 2007 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  9. Anonymous

Edwards won, we all see tonight WHAT MRS CLINTON AND MR OBAMA ARE MADE OFF.
    I really don't thing that north americans wants a president that say something today and tomorrow another. Edward is the man. If mrs clinton or obama won , I'll go with the republicans.

June 4, 2007 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  10. Gizmo

Hillary Clinton

June 4, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  11. Claire, Lees Summit, MO

Kucinich

June 4, 2007 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  12. Glenn Martin, Elkhorn, NE

Hillary Clinton

June 4, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  13. John White, Ozone Park, New York

Biden appears to be the only Democrat with a commanding grasp of all the issues. I think we could all feel safe with him in the White House, opposed to "polished" candidates like Edwards and Obama.

June 4, 2007 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  14. Patrick S, Los Angeles, CA

I am so proud of all the candidates, but JOHN EDWARDS was most direct & true. He won me over

June 4, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  15. Daniel, Surf City, NC

Edwards showed by far the best leadership and seemed to me to offer the best ideas. It was a shame he got cut off a few times before getting to answer his questions in the second half. I would have liked to have heard the answers

June 4, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  16. Leo, New Brunswick, NJ

BILL RICHARDSON won the debate. I disagree with CNN's so called "analysts". It's very interesting that searching this blog, and the interviews they made with people, real people, not hired "analysts", that viewed the NM governor as a potential "winner". He was the only one that talked the language of the people about the daily issues that surrounds us, with clear solutions and real proposals to the problems, not "just-another-candidate" talking.

June 4, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  17. Joe, San Francisco, CA

GRAVEL hands down. He is the only candidate here that has consistently provided a straight answer to the questions asked. I feel that he has the experience and attitude needed to whip Washington politics into line and regain the respect of the world and the trust of the American people.

June 4, 2007 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  18. Hugh Schintzius, Asheville, NC

Barack Obama won!!!
    His answers were calm, thoughtful, collected and on the mark.
    Watch the debate again, and look at Hillary when she is not speaking. She looked like a tired and drained politician. And I don't get where Hillary has all this "experience over Barrack. Twelve years as the wife of a govenor, 8 years as the wife of a president, sorry... that is not leadership. Barack has been a leader more years than Hillary.

June 4, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  19. Wendy, Tenn.

She's in to win, and that she did - Hillary rocked this debate!

Love her or hate her (I happen to be of the former), you have to admit there was that defining moment when she took charge of the debate by demanding that the candidates weren't answering hypothetical, useless questions - and EVERY SINGLE candidate up on the stage with her let her do it.

Hillary is the cream of the cream, so to speak, and she comprises all the qualities America needs in a president right now.

Go Hillary!

June 4, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. Sharma, Lubbock, TX

Barack Obama certainly made his stand very clear and remained focused on the points raised. On the other hand, Hillary Clinton did not come out as passionate about the issues.

June 4, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  21. Nathan, Tempe, AZ

Mike Gravel without a doubt. Anyone who voted for the funding for Iraq is not a candidate you want.

CNN didn't give him anywhere near the time to talk, and still managed to have more content than anyone else.

June 4, 2007 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  22. Sujata Ghosh,Walnut,California

Clearly Obama! The only one who portrayed confidence backed by complete grasp of issues , and a clear plan to resolve.

June 4, 2007 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  23. Lynn, San Diego, CA

I liked Clinton tonight. I always like her in debates. No issue or question flusters her, and when you ask her a question that is not mainstream, she throws out specifics so you know she is not only aware of, but understands the issue. I feel a president should always have "command" of all of the issues.

I also feel that Biden had a good night.

June 4, 2007 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  24. eric flagstaff az

biden clinton in that order...obama...big dissapointment, what did he do that seems to have everyone so impressed?

June 4, 2007 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  25. Andrew Berquist, Pago Pago, American Samoa

First: Awesome that CNN uses wordpress. Kudo's to them on that.

Second: I was disappointed with the debate (maybe because my cable box kept messing up) but more or less, I saw people getting cut off before they could prove a point. I felt Richardson and Biden were both strong in defending themselves, however Richardson constantly got cut off by Wolf, which was a huge disappointment to me. On another note the 'underdogs' so to speak were pretty much ignored. I'm not a fan of Dodd, but I do like to see what Dennis and Mike have to say. Both of them were ignored, along with Richardson. I was disappointed that CNN could not separate itself from the other TV networks. Their political analysts also need to realize they don't need to 'stick with the mainstream' when picking a 'winner'. Be brave.

June 4, 2007 02:34 am at 2:34 am |