June 3rd, 2007

Who won the debate?

Who do you think won the debate? Click on the "Add a Comments" link and give us your response.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. David, Atlanta GA

I would just like to point out that Hillary Clinton made a false statement regarding the Republican candidates due to debate on Tuesday. Clinton said that all the Republican candidates are for the Iraq war, however, candidate Ron Paul has been against the Iraq war from the very beginning which is more than I can say about Clinton or Edwards and the like.
    I just want viewers to know that Clinton's statement was false, and I hope that CNN allows Ron Paul to speak at length on his position since no correction was made at the time of the debate even though Wolf Blitzer has interviewed Ron Paul and knows his position on Iraq.

June 4, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Jamie Brooks Pike, NH

Obama. Shame on Wolf for acting as though there are only three candidates for the Democratic nomination (Clinton, Obama, Edwards). If CNN is going to invite all of the candidates, Wolf should at least try to give them equal time. Very unfair and the voters suffered for it.

June 4, 2007 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. M.L. Square

Barak Obama stood out as the clear winner.
    He is the next president.

June 4, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. James, Los Angeles, California

By far Bill Richardson, he went to the root of the problems. Obama at times stumbled in his responses, as with the VA clinics, he did not directly address the woman's question.

June 4, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. Collea-Devi Goetz, Ft. Collins, Colorado

Clinton – heads above the rest

June 4, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. Jill, Fridley, MN

Clinton!!!

June 4, 2007 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  7. Larry, Delmar, NY

Senator Clinton clearly won the debate. Her knowledge of the issues, confidence in her position and ability to convey her message was impressive. Sen. Obama needs to consider whether his hand gestures are off-putting. Sen. Biden was the most surprising and candid. While I think he could make a good president, I think he would be an awesome Secretary of State no matter who become President.

June 4, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. Lynne, Bedford, New Hampshire

Biden was honest, knowledgeable, realistic, forceful, & consistent. He took the high road early on, declining to criticize his fellow candidates. I’m registered independent & now lean toward voting for Biden in the primary (we NH independent voters can vote in either the Rep. or Dem. primary).
    Where are the questions about the environment? If we mess that up, nothing else will matter. Dodd got that right in his answer to the stupid ? about gas prices; Gravel had a good point too, that adding in war costs, gas is a lot more than $3/gal. Lose the “Raise your hand if” ?’s – they’re irrelevant & harmful. And who do you think you are, positioning Edwards, Clinton, & Obama in the center & giving them more time than anyone else?

June 4, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. Mark , Dallas , Tx

You Can really tell who was a Clinton supporter before this debate because they thought she won... It was obvious that Biden and Sen K. were the co winners of this debate.....even if K's ideas on the military are a little naive

June 4, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. Jeremy, Littleton NH

Clinton showed poise and leadership.

Biden showed knowledge and passion.

Obama and Edwards were dissapointing.

The others fell by the wayside.

Winner: Clinton.

June 4, 2007 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Pete, West Hartford, CT

Biden won the debate.

Dodd and Biden are the most qualified for the job, we need more participation from these "second tier" candidates.

I am not sold on any of "The Top Tier". Richardson is imploding. Gravel and Kucinich could help everyone by staying home next time.

CNN did better than MSNBC but that's not saying much. I think we need Jim Lehrer, Gwen Ifill and PBS to have a balanced debate. Come on Wolf, you're supposed to help keep us informed, not sell us something!

June 4, 2007 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. John Beland

Stupid questions by a lame host. Anderson Cooper should have hosted the debate, as Wolf Blitzer was as absolutely embarrassing as the questions he asked.
    CNN, with all it's bimbo newscasters and dramatic background music, has been rolling downhill ever since Turner let it go. UGH!
    BTW...I was impressed with Biden.
    John Beland

June 4, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. Madelaine, Miami, Florida

OBAMA

June 4, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  14. Nate, Lansing, Michigan

I think they all lost when every candidate on stage failed to give the Bush administration credit for no terrorist attacks since 9/11. I don't support the war Iraq, I just know you can't deny some success when we have avoided several plotted attacks since 9/11. I don't support the war, but I don't support a divided America also. I feel if any of these candidates win, that's exactly what we will see.

June 4, 2007 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  15. Jessica Madisonville, KY

BARACK OBAMA by far!

June 4, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  16. D. Barton, Gainesville, Ga.

Well I think that Hillary and Kucinich were the strongest.But Kucinich was my final choice because he chose not to kill innocent people, to assinate a terrorists. War only brings war. I'm still torn between Clinton and Kucinich.

June 4, 2007 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Cole, Manchester, NH

Hillary Clinton won by far

June 4, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  18. Mayra, San Francisco, CA

The winner of the debate for me is still a toss up, although I think Edwards did himself in as far as I'm concerned. He was smug, arrogant, and frankly, righteous, like a smart alecky kid in class who thought he knew all the answers.

My bigger concern was CNN and Wolf Blitzer's line of questioning. Did you think only the tabloids were picking up the story this morning? Too many of the questions were petty, sensational, and insulting to the American intellect's public. You played it to the lowest common denominator. Shame on you. You had an opportunity to raise the bar of the debates and you didn't. Instead you played it small and superficial. You can and should do better than that. At least the candidates called you on it (Hilary, Obama) and they were right to do so. And if you can't get out of your own way, with your attempts at stoking petty fires and asking inane questions, then maybe you should leave the debates to a more capable news source.

June 4, 2007 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. Pete, Chicago IL

Obama won with his retorts to Edwards on the war and health care. Many of Hillary's stronger points had to do with comparing her husband's administration to GWB's administration (e.g., balanced budget, use of diplomacy). That may work with some people, but I'm not interested in continuing the Bush-Clinton double dynasties.

June 4, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  20. Billy, student at Missouri State University, in Springfield

OBAMA! I think he was very clear and concise in his responses. I think Richardson avoided directly responding, and his idea about boycotting the Olympics was ridiculous. Gravel and Kucinich are way to out there, irradical and emotional to be an effective president. Dodd, doesnt seem to have an effective grasp and Biden seems to angry. Clinton would make a great vice president.

June 4, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  21. James, Ludlow, MA

Dennis Kuncinich.

June 4, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. Micah Lexington Ky

The republicans.

June 4, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. M. H. McLetchie, New Orleans, LA

Sen Biden won the debate. He gave the most direct and realistic answers to difficult issues, instead of engaging in generalities and political pontificating.

June 4, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. Benjamin Truax, Schenectady NY

I believe Kucinich one the debate last night. Even though he was given considerably less questions to answer and time to respond. He wants us out of NAFTA which is taking big business out of this country and bring illagel workers in in droves. He also wants us out of the war and was the only candidate to speak the truth about us being able to get out of the war right now just by not passing a funding bill. Obama and Hillary are really clones of each other, there really is no difference.

Now for some critiques on the debate last night. While Obama, Clinton and Edwards spoke for more than 16 min a piece the other candidates spoke for an average of only 9 minutes a piece. Then there was the problem of how the candidates were positioned on stage. Clinton and Obama were center stage while Kucinich was shown far left and Mike was far right. Do you think CNN is playing favorites! To there defense I suppose they aren't the only ones FOX has there prefered candidates who get more free face time than other GOP candidates. The polotics of media sickens me! I hope CNN does a far better job with the GOP candidates Tuesday.

June 4, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Sean, Portland, Oregon

Mike Gravel Followed By Kucinich – even thought CNN literally marginalized them at the edges and only gave them each around 2 minutes to speak, while Clinton And Obama each had around 9 minutes each to say nothing new. Shameful CNN. Seriously.

June 4, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |