June 19th, 2007

Clinton family takes on Sopranos in announcing campaign song

Watch the Clintons parody the Sopranos' final scene.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It's not everyday the Clintons would want to be compared to the Sopranos.

But in a gimmick intended to drum up buzz for her campaign's new theme song, Democratic White House hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton, and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, star in a new video that parodies the HBO mob show's famously (or infamously) ambiguous final episode. (Watch video: CNN Internet Correspondent Abbi Tatton reports on the new Web video)

In the Web video, Bill and Hillary Clinton are seated in a busy diner as Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” plays in the background. The couple flips through the diner jukebox, looking over the nominees for the campaign song. The actor Vincent Curatola, who played Johnny "Sack" Sacramoni in the HBO series, makes a cameo appearance, walking by the table and suspiciously eyeing Hillary. Like Meadow Soprano in the final episode, Chelsea Clinton – not seen – is supposedly outside the diner parallel parking.

As Hillary decides on a song, Bill muses: “My money’s on Smashmouth.”

The video also pokes fun at Bill Clinton’s long-publicized struggle with weight. Hillary orders a basket of carrot sticks for the table, to which Bill responds, “No onion rings?”

The anticipation builds to when Hillary is about to announce the song contest winner, then the video abruptly cuts to black.

The video then instructs viewers to go to another page on the New York Democrat's Web site to learn what song was chosen – Celine Dion's “You and I”

The campaign says over 200,000 people voted in the contest since it launched in mid-May, and 25,000 wrote in their own suggestions.

Clinton will likely be the first and only candidate to share a theme song with Air Canada, which once used the upbeat tune in a television ad campaign.

The announcement is accompanied by a big red “Contribute” button on Hillary’s web site, urging supporters to donate “before the upcoming FEC deadline.”

- CNN Associate Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kim, Minneapolis, MN

Who cares? It's nice to see Hillary and her campaign have so much time to entertain us with something so trivial as her campaign song announcement.

June 19, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. v stuart idyllwild,ca

this is such a long campaign, thanks for bringing some humor and sillyness to it

June 19, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Ann, Landstuhl Germany

Lame – totally lame.

June 19, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. A. Johns, Charlotte, N.C.

Nice to see a sense of humor given all of the nastiness we've seen in past campaigns. Thanks for putting a smile on my face for a change.

June 19, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. ThatLiberal, tampa

now effectively ruining that song for all listeners.

June 19, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Bryan, Topeka, KS

I can't be certain that selecting a Celine Dion song is going to get her any votes.

June 19, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Lets see, 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of Bush and another 4 years of Clinton. God help us if this %^& makes it

June 19, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. Rob, Panama City Beach - Florida

Amazingly fast turn around time since the Soprano's episode didn't air that long ago. I thought it was a neat idea and a sure way to show at least the viewers of that TV series that someone in their camp keeps an eye on what is going on in the world.

June 19, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Bill, Reston, VA

That was so cheesy.

June 19, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. Tom W - Dedham, Mass

I hate, loathe and detest this two phonies, but I have to say, that was clever.

That's why I am proudly what I am, we can hammer our party when needed, praise the other party when deserved unlike liberals who can do neither.

Well done.

June 19, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Jim, Chicago, IL

It would be nice if Hillary chose an American musician.

June 19, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. P. Thibault - Panama City FL

Can this woman not be original in any aspect period. I am so sick and tired of her, she is a disgrace to all women period. She is more concerned with theme songs then actually telling us what she stands for, but then again when she does she changes her mind. Get rid of her period, she is no example to women and women should be disgusted with her, I guess it is ok to put up with her husbands filandering as long as there is something she can get, this is a real shining example to her daughter. Glad I brought mine up with Morals and Values, it does not take a village to raise a child it takes a parent who is willing to do the work and teach morals and values something this woman has no idea what that is.

June 19, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  13. josh embry, austin, tx

Well... they certainly have that mob theme in common.

June 19, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. W Armstrong, Lebanon,Ohio 45046

Giggle,giggle, shows how totally current this campaign is. One wants their candidate to be totally alert to all realities of today.
    Hillary Clinton is allowing you to see a minute view of a complicated multi dimensional extra ordinarily high I Q. I Enjoyed, you enjoy...

June 19, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. M. Stearns, Portland, OR

I love how it just kills some of you people to see the Clintons back. It's great!

As far as her values are concerned, I think keeping a marriage together and actually working on it instead of throwing in the towel like most do, is a real value. Tells us that she is willing to stick by a commitment even when the going gets tough.

As far as liberals never complimenting the other side, well if Bush gave us something to compliment that might be a different story! He's an unmitigated disgrace.

June 19, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Stephanie, Brooklyn, New York

I thought it was a very clever and timely way to announce the campaign song. It shows that she is not above the popular cultural interests of the American people.
    I would have chosen another song.

June 19, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  17. Edward, Annapolis, MD

I thought it was quite clever.
    I don't think the point was to be original here... it was supposed to be a parody which they did quite well. I'm pretty sure if she wanted something original, they would have came up with it.

Besides, its not like it's as much about a song as it is about exposure for the Clinton campaign, but on that aspect it worked quite well.

I for one support her. Lets put Bill back in office.

June 19, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Sam, Wind Gap, PA

the Clinton's never had an origianl idea in their lives!

June 19, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Dan, San Francisco, CA

That was a cute video. Nice to see a little fun injected into this terribly long campaign.

Love some of the comments from the more conservative folk here, Hilary is their bogeyman (woman?) and you can just smell the FEAR radiating off 'em. You just don't waste that kind of energy and emotion on someone who doesn't matter. Tells me all I need to know about Clinton's chances!

June 19, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. Richard, Ewing, NJ

I am a republican, and I do not like Hillary. However, I think a video like this is great. Not sure why people are angry about a video. Hillary is running a primary election and her biggest competitor is Obama. The biggest threat to a Clinton's nomination is that Obama is very likeable and she is not. A new video like this will make her seems funnier and likable.

June 19, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Ryan, Bloomington, IN

Well, the real disappointment didn't come from the video cutting to black...it came when I found out she selected Celine Dion as her campaign song!

June 19, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. Kim, Minneapolis, MN

One thing is clear from this string of correspondence and that is Hillary is polarizing. This is not what I want in my leader....and it's only a video!

June 19, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. luke, charlotte, NC

how about Rick James' "You and I"

June 19, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Kevin, Tusacloosa AL

Oh hell.... I wish that Gore would run, or that people would pay more attention to the other candidates such as Mike Gravel. At least his rock tossing is funny.

June 19, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. Anonymous

The ad was funny, but how sad it was to see Hillary had to import her campaign song from Canada. This is indicitive of her foriegn policy.

June 19, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |