July 2nd, 2007

Obama raises $32.5 million in second quarter, sets record

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois.

(CNN) - Presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama announced Sunday his campaign raised at least $32.5 million in the second quarter, the highest amount ever raised by a Democratic candidate, topping the first quarter fund-raising and exceeding predictions from rival Hillary Clinton’s campaign for her take in the same period.

In a statement, Obama’s campaign they received money from over 154,000 donors in the quarter, up from 104,000 donors they cited in the first quarter. The campaign said it raised "at least" $31 million in the second quarter in primary money, and a total counting general election funds of $32.5 million.

In a surprising first quarter performance, the Illinois Democrat raised $25.7 million, worth $24.8 million going to the primary campaign.

Obama said in the statement, "Together, we have built the largest grassroots campaign in history for this stage of a Presidential race. We now have hundreds of thousands of Americans who are ready to demand health care for all, energy independence, and an end to this war in Iraq. That’s the kind of movement that can change the special interest-driven politics in Washington and transform our country. And it’s just the beginning."

Last week, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said he expected Clinton bring in $27 million this quarter, but they have not announced their numbers since the period ended. Last quarter, Clinton raised $26 million, with $19 million in primary dollars.

An Obama campaign official provided CNN with an e-mail going out to supporters Sunday. In it, campaign manager David Plouffe said,"The pundits and political insiders questioned whether a new leader and fledgling campaign could compete with the big money and massive organization of other candidates who have been preparing to run for years, and even decades. Well, for the second consecutive quarter, you’ve helped send a resounding answer."

Plouffe write that the number of donors, much of it small donations., "sends an unmistakable message to the political establishment that the same old politics just won’t do in 2008."

He said the fundraising will allow them to compete fully funded in all February 5 contests in large states like California and New York, saying "frankly, when we entered this race, we did not think that was possible. We estimated at this point of the campaign we'd be at least $20-25 million behind one of our fellow candidates. But due to the amazing outpouring of support from people all across the country, remarkably, we should be on at least even financial footing for the duration of the campaign”.

1. charles enoch Ok

Damn good job Sen B...i for one will vote for you...i'm tired of the bush's' and clintons we need soon new blood up there...someone who's going to listen to the american peoples

July 1, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Linda, Chandler AZ

You ain't seen nothin' yet!!! 🙂

July 1, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Kim, Minneapolis, MN

MN Obama supporters are absolutely thrilled to be apart of this historic movement for change. We'll be behind Senator Obama every step of the way.

July 1, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Billy, Kansas City, MO

congrats to the Obama campaign. with over 258,000 contributors he is proving that the country is really ready for something new. keep up the good work.

July 1, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. Joe Pluta, Palatine, IL

I find it interesting that Sen. Obama positions himself as the candidate of choice to oppose special interests, when he consistently voted for the horrible amnesty bill that nearly 80% of the American people opposed.

Grassroots? The grassroots are those of us who fought day in and day out to defeat that completely interest-driven piece of legislation. I truly wanted to vote for Sen. Obama for President, to believe that he was a voice for change. But I can tell you that his performance in this matter has made it clear that the Senator has already sided with the insiders on Capitol Hill and against the American people.

The Senator doesn't represent his constituents even when they make their will known beyond a shadow of a doubt. He is instead already corrupted by the power structure in Washington. He may have a huge warchest, but it doesn't matter if he loses the confidence of the people. I am one of those swing votes that could tip Illinois to the Senator's side and at this point, neither I nor anybody I know would even vote for him to be re-elected as senator, much less President, unless he emphatically and adamantly reverses his stand on amnesty.

The Senator needs to remember that grassroots organizations really do work, honest hard-working Americans have a long memory, and no matter how much money you have 21 electoral votes are a lot to overcome.

July 1, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. DENNIS, POCATELLO, IDAHO

polls indicating hilary is a dozen plus ahead of obama are illusionary! obama's financial prowess is indicative of a very wide grassroot support. soon the ABC (anybody but clinton)folks will soon be in the bandwagon – watch out history!!

July 1, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. J. Fisk, San Francisco, CA

So is CNN going to keep saying that Clinton is the front runner? She's weakening because she is unelectable. 52% of people have already stated they will not vote for her under any circumstance.

July 1, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. KG Columbia, South Carolina

GO GO GO BARACK!!! I gave $20 every pay period and still have a lot more pay periods to give another $20 since I havent tapped out my $2300 limit. I even also on My Barack page had my own fundraising pledge and had family and friends to give to me (in a since) for Barack!!! I will go even HARDER NEXT QUARTER!!! Let's GO BARACK and our entire BASE!!! WE WILL WIN!!!

July 1, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. KG Columbia, South Carolina

Joe I just read your post and you are either confuse or I am??? Barack is doing everything grassroots; I am 25 a college graduate and work for a Fortune 50 Company as an IT Analyst and I've never been a part of any presidential campaign but because Barack call to make his campaign about us was so touching to me I became very active and will continue to be. He just raised 32.5 million STRIAGHT from donors like myself and not PACs but then you throw in the immigration bill and tie it into the special interest groups and Barack; which doesnt mix to me. Remember, the history of America was founded on immigrants and while I dont say everyone should get a free pass but we cant turn our backs or voices to those people. This is America Joe land of opportunites, the home of the brave and other people want a piece of that pie. Now something has to be done before nothing. YOU MAKE A STAND AND DO SOMETHING!! Dont talk about and bash the people that are at least trying to do SOMETHING!!!

July 1, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. ABQ, NM

Overrated!

July 1, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Dustin L. Hopper, Wichita, Ks.

I am an Obama fan and I dislike Clinton. I didn't just jump on the Obama bandwagon either. I've been listening to his podcasts and speeches for a few years now, well, since the Democratic convention, and the man is a fair and just guy.

However, lately, he had been dissapointing me, merely because he had not been saying some of the important things, like restoring our constitutional rights and cleaning up Washington politics that favor the rich over the poor. That simply was because he is busy. I heard one of his stump speeches and it more than re-energized me, and I still believe Obama can beat Clinton and thus be our next president.

July 1, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Elaine Campton, Kentucky

I think you better not get over excited about who is going to win this. I am in the same boat as millions of Americans–I am undecided. I will continue to evaluate each candidate until the 2008 election. We better not look so much as Who? but what each candidate stands for. We are in a heck of a mess now. Ihope I will be able to feel good about my decision. Yes I will vote but we better wait and see what happens between now and then.

July 1, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Mike, Omaha Nebraska

You should check your facts. Most of American's support a bill that would lead illegal immigrants to citizenship. Most, intelligent, Americans understand that we can not move 14 million people. It is un realistic.

The reason the bill fell was 3-fold:

Border Security remained weak.

Republicans couldn't put past bi-partisan feelings.

Republicans are desperate to be different than Bush.

July 1, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Kevin, Orlando, FL

Go Obama! His grassroots support is way stronger than Hillary's special interests!

July 1, 2007 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Frank Igwealor, Los Angeles, CA

And this is on top of the Clinton campaign attempt to pre-empt the figures by been the first to release an estimate that lumped the money together while intimating Americans that Obama would outraise them.

The press tried to convince us of late that his campaign has peaked and he've started fading, but I don't see that in this wallet-polls, which to me is the most reliable polls right now. With an additional 154,000 ready to open and re-open their wallets, I don't see why he won't be competitive for the nomination.

The Trend is your Friend and Obama is trending up and got the momentum from the polls-that-matters.

This is more than 25% improvement from last quarter numbers – "Cash is King"

July 1, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. Dee Anna Roberts

Here's the Real Story!

The American People Decided !

No offense to the Media. We know how it works. We know you have to do what you have to do, but here's what I am excited about and the Media should be excited about.

Despite the pundunces telling us who we want. Despite the polls. Despite the false claims. Despite the false advertizing that suggests one person is the inevitabe choice of America, the American people are deciding on who we want to support. The American people are havinmg the real say. It's clear. It's very clear. Democracy is alive and well, people and it's evident in the success of Obamas Campaign.

This is the American people telling the Media that we will choose our own leader, not you. The Media should rejoice in the fact that that depite what they are being forced to report, the American people are not falling for it. It's a win win. The Media get to keep their jobs and the American people get to keep the real frontrunner. I can't wait till Iowa. I can't wait.

Go Obama!

July 1, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. Byron Jones, Houston,TX

President Barack Obama. That has a wonderful ring to it. Get used to it, cause we're gonna win. 2008

July 1, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Providence, RI

Do you remember Howard Dean, who raised 50 million around this time in 2004? Then he faded like a rose. So Obama fans, please, do not be too excited! Obama lacks experience. Obama has rhetorics, but no substance. Obama is an empty shell! Obama fans do not vote in the primary because they are between 18 and 30, but Hillary fans will vote because they are between 30 and 80. And those of you who are Clintons haters, please, see her as a human. Hillary is a human with intelligence and experience! She did not do any harm to you or to the country! Does not Bible teach you "Thou shall not judge?" She is the real deal; Obama is like Howard Dean! Admire her for staying married to Bill, because she values marriage unlike others. Love her for all the things she did for New York and the country. Shakespeare says: "The curse of mankind is: Folly and igonorance?"

July 1, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Janet Clearwater, Florida

This is great news! Obama is the right person for the job! This money represents hope and unity that we have all found with Obama. He is the future.

July 1, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  20. ByTheSeaMe * Port Angeles, WA

The people are speaking LOUD and CLEAR. In spite of slanted polls, false accusations, ridiculous charges of 'no experience', making fun of his name (how ignorant is that?), the PEOPLE have opened their eyes and their wallets and are CHOOSING the BEST candidate in any party. IF the elections are not tampered with AGAIN, this man will be our next President and I will once more be PROUD to be an American with a Leader who I Proud of instead of ashamed of! I am SO looking forward to that time. And in spite of those who claim only the 'young' support Obama... I am 55 and MANY others I know in my age group are Obama supporters, those 20+ years older than myself that I know are Obama supporters (including former Republicans). Obama has crossed barriers of age, political affiliation, color, religion and finances (from Oprah to me) and he will bring this once great nation back to it's former glory in exactly this way of bringing the PEOPLE back together with his responsible, intelligent, caring leadership. And we will once again have the respect and support of the world we are a part of.

July 1, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. Linda, Chandler AZ

In response to Providence, RI. – Huh? First of all, Howard Dean never raised 50 million dollars. The amount raised by Senator Obama this quarter is a record. Second, if you're so big on "thou shall not judge' (although if that's in the bible there are sure alot of Christians who don't follow that one), then why are you judging Barack Obama? Those of us who support him don't do so blindly. We've seen his integrity, his intelligence, and his love for this country. I'm not about to vote for Hillary Clinton because she stayed married to Bill! We've HAD the Clinton's in the White House. It's time for real change. And that's what Barack Obama brings to the table.

July 1, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. Kevin, Orlando, FL

JFK and Lincoln lacked experience too...

July 1, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. Anonymous

All sizzle with no steak. Where's the MEAT B.O.?

July 1, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Hillary makes my skin crawl.

I admittedly am voting for a Republican, but if a Democrat were to be President, Obama would be my first choice. He is a class act and I really like him.

July 1, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  25. James Breaux, Dallas, Tx

Obama doesn't stand a chance against the Republican nominee whoever that may be. He is unelectable.

July 1, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |