July 2nd, 2007

Obama raises $32.5 million in second quarter, sets record

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois.

(CNN) - Presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama announced Sunday his campaign raised at least $32.5 million in the second quarter, the highest amount ever raised by a Democratic candidate, topping the first quarter fund-raising and exceeding predictions from rival Hillary Clinton’s campaign for her take in the same period.

In a statement, Obama’s campaign they received money from over 154,000 donors in the quarter, up from 104,000 donors they cited in the first quarter. The campaign said it raised "at least" $31 million in the second quarter in primary money, and a total counting general election funds of $32.5 million.

In a surprising first quarter performance, the Illinois Democrat raised $25.7 million, worth $24.8 million going to the primary campaign.

Obama said in the statement, "Together, we have built the largest grassroots campaign in history for this stage of a Presidential race. We now have hundreds of thousands of Americans who are ready to demand health care for all, energy independence, and an end to this war in Iraq. That’s the kind of movement that can change the special interest-driven politics in Washington and transform our country. And it’s just the beginning."

Last week, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said he expected Clinton bring in $27 million this quarter, but they have not announced their numbers since the period ended. Last quarter, Clinton raised $26 million, with $19 million in primary dollars.

An Obama campaign official provided CNN with an e-mail going out to supporters Sunday. In it, campaign manager David Plouffe said,"The pundits and political insiders questioned whether a new leader and fledgling campaign could compete with the big money and massive organization of other candidates who have been preparing to run for years, and even decades. Well, for the second consecutive quarter, you’ve helped send a resounding answer."

Plouffe write that the number of donors, much of it small donations., "sends an unmistakable message to the political establishment that the same old politics just won’t do in 2008."

He said the fundraising will allow them to compete fully funded in all February 5 contests in large states like California and New York, saying "frankly, when we entered this race, we did not think that was possible. We estimated at this point of the campaign we'd be at least $20-25 million behind one of our fellow candidates. But due to the amazing outpouring of support from people all across the country, remarkably, we should be on at least even financial footing for the duration of the campaign”.

1. Daniel Thelusmar Tampa Florida

I call this story History repeat it self.Becauce no one and nothing can't stand again the will of the people ,when the people demanded change change will happen the american people demanded change .That what they happen demontrated with OBama

July 1, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  2. R Rodriguez, San Diego, CA

Thats great! As a Hispanic and Repulican, I am tired of the war and constant political rhetoric from both sides. I truly believe that this is a guy that can bring us together. If Obama wins the Democratic Party nomination, I just might have to cast my vote for him.

July 1, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. Mike, Omaha Nebraska

Obama is quite different than Dean. He has learned what Dean did wrong and he is making a difference. Just watch.

July 1, 2007 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  4. Brian, Fort Worth, TX

Well done Senator Obama. Thank you for campaigning truthfully, speaking boldly, and battling for a new kind of politics in Washington.

July 1, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. Ronke Adegoroye, New York, NY

I am a new citizen. The wind of unprecedent change is blowing across America; from sea to shining sea.
    God bless America.

July 1, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. BERNARD, SCOTCH PLAINS NJ

GO TELL MOMMA, I'M VOTING FOR OBAMA...AND DONATING MORE MONEY TOO 😉

July 1, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. SeattleLatte

Remember Howard Dean? Barack is an Empty Suit! I'm an African-American man who supports Hillary!

July 1, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  8. Russell, Torrance CA

It's no surprise that Obama and Clinton have been getting the lion share of dems contribution. The mainstream media is mainly responsible for this which makes everything so disappointing. Democratic Party is not the party of mainstream media. The party deserves better candidates and the American people deserve nothing less but the best. Dems especially at the grassroot should not let themselves swayed by hypes and selective and subjective media coverage. Let us look into other candiates who better represents the ideal of the party, people like Sen. Mike Gravel and Rep. Dennis Kucinich.

July 1, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. Matt Houston, Texas

Its not just that Obama has raised more money than Hillary Clinton...its also how he did it. He got the most money ever for a democrat so far while also getting the most donations. Thats how you build support.

Hillary got all of her bribes, o I mean donations from big america. He got a quarter million people involved. Thats how you get the people involved.

July 2, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  10. Mike, Corpus Christi Texas

I am going to support any candidate the Democratic Party nominates in 2008. I am also tired of the Clintons, but even Much More tired of the 'bush doctrine' which will continue if any of the Repubs are elected. We need to be looking ahead at who can defeat the 08 Republican candidate. I like Senator Obama very much, but the imporant question always arrises, can he beat the Republican front runner? Just "food for thought."

July 2, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  11. Seferm, London, UK

Amazing! Obama's style is truly unique and a great change in U.S. politics and elections. http://www.seferm.com

July 2, 2007 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  12. Matt, Austin, Texas

Hey Providence,

Howard Dean was - and still is - an idiot. It just took that long for the American people to realize it. As THIS campaign progresses, however, many of the undecided Americans are beginning to discover that Senator Obama is not an idiot at all.

I'm between 18 and 30, and you better believe I'm voting for Obama every chance I get, including in the primary.

Hillary has been a senator for less than one additional term than Obama, so how can people continue to say that she is SO much more experienced than he is? The man has devoted his life to serving the public and he will continue to do so until the day he dies.

If Hillary cared about marriage, she wouldn't have cheapened it by sending the message that an unfaithful marriage is an acceptable marriage.
    All she cares about is that her name is Clinton.

"Obama is an empty shell! ... Thou shall not judge"

I think that'll be about enough out of you!

I was one of 154,000 new donors to the Obama campaign this quarter, and I'll donate more next quarter. These polls are lies, and if I have to hear that Hillary "won a debate" one more time, I think I might throw-up; I've watched the debate and she has only given one or two good answers TOTAL, whereas Obama almost always has a great answer.

Go Obama!

July 2, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  13. dmw, Roeland Park, KS

I love reading these comments. Yet, some of you folks still need a lesson in civics.

Obama appears to be a nice man. I have seen him on several programs and I have not problem with him. Yet, he will not make it out of the primaries. It is a good idea to see how he is doing in each state. Right now he is FAR behind Hillary. But, we still have a few months before the primaries begin. I just don't see him winning enough of the primaries to become the nominee. Maybe Hillary can pick him for Vice President.

The hatred towards Hillary that alot of you mention is not based on anything other than emotion. No one has yet defined anything Hillary has done wrong or immoral. Ya'll are listening to too much talk radio and the media.

Hillary will be the nominee for President when it is all said and done. I will vote for her any day over a Republican.

July 2, 2007 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  14. Brady, Nashville, TN

All the Obama folks' dreams will be shattered when John Edwards wins Iowa.

National polls mean nothing; Iowa means everything. $32.5 million is an impressive number, but it isn't enough to buy Obama the Iowa Caucus. Edwards has virtually lived in Iowa since 2004.

We'll see the domino effect once Edwards wins Iowa, with the exception of New Hampshire. Edwards wins Iowa...Edwards wins South Carolina...Edwards wins Nevada...

July 2, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. An (Chicago, IL)

Obama! Bombaye! Obama! Bombaye! Obama! Bombaye!

July 2, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  16. Anonymous

“The curse of mankind is: Folly and igonorance?”

And voting for Hillary would be ignorant...

July 2, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  17. Bill, Covina, California

So, great, Senator Obama has raised a lot of money. I am not voting for Senator Obama because in the debates I have seen with him as well as interviews, he is not able to answer a question. He is very abstract in his anwers and we have already had 8 years of an administration that has kept us in the dark. Whether the Obama camp likes it or not, he is going to have to start answering questions. He is going to have to start discussing the war, the economy, and yes, even race.

July 2, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. David, Richmond Virginia

How sad, so much money for a candidate that doesn't have a chance.

July 2, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Monica rochester new york

In Bill Clinton's own words when he was trying to win the nomination "Experience is fine but there's good experience and bad experience, what matters is how you engage with everyday people...the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". Yes he said that. Ok we've had Bush, clinton, clinton, bush, bush. It's time for a change, and Barack represents the people. Go Barack, I'm donating every quarter!! Visit barackobama.com to learn where he stands on the issues.

Monica, rochester NY

July 2, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Rosemount

I m a Kenyan but now an American Citizen. Remember Obama's father is a Kenyan. I like Obama but i dont think this is the right time for him. He lacks experience, that is why he can not answer quastions in the debates as faster and accurate as Hillary, I doubt if he knows much about security of this country if any, and i dont think he can be a commander in chief during challenging moments. I also think if we follow each and every person contributing to Obama, im sure that you will find 30 to 40% percent of the money is coming from the republicans who are afraid of the Clintons to death.Hillary will win the nomination and the presidency.

July 2, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. Corey, Houston, TX

Good news for the Obama campaign for sure. Yet, don't let the thrill of this moment distract from the reality of the upcoming caucuses. There is plenty of hard work to be done and as an Obama for President supporter myself, I would hate to see him falter in key states due to operatives in his camp not recognizing the polarization of this country at present. We need a President that will speak truth to power and I trust that President Obama is that man.

July 2, 2007 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. da, New York, NY

Dem rank-and-file are finally waking up to the fact that unless they want the GOP to stay in the White House, they better make sure Hilary doesn't get the nomination. She is unelectable and her candidacy will rally the GOP like no one's ever seen.

July 2, 2007 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Jill, Fairfield CT

Joe, the Immigration Bill has nothing to do with it. Both sides had "interest groups" actively lobbying either pro or anti, so I guess he should just not have voted at all?? That makes no sense. The fact is that Senator Obama accepts NO MONEY from lobbyists, and no money from PACS. You don't get more grassroots than that.

July 2, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Allison, Elgin, Illinois

It sure does give me a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that $50 worth of my hard-earned cash is somewhere in that giant pile of fundraising money. LET'S DO THIS THING!

July 2, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Watch for the Clinton political machine to start "leaking" stories to the MSM especially the Clinton News Network.

July 2, 2007 11:34 am at 11:34 am |