July 23rd, 2007

Obama: Urgent desire for change

(CNN) - Asked about the criticism that he is inexperienced, entering the presidential race as a first-term senator, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, responded by saying that "people have an urgent desire for change in Washington."

Obama defended his experience and said he brings the perspective of a community organizer and state legislator, in addition to his role in Congress.

"We're not going to fix health care. We're not going to fix energy. We're not going to do anything about our education system unless we change how business is done in Washington," Obama said.

- CNN Associate Producer Stephen Bach

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate
  1. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

This statement by Obama was right on. In order to get anything accomplished in the United States is by putting aside partisan politics and start working together for the American people. Then and only then will we accomplish anything.

July 23, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Connie, Tn.

GO OBAMA.

July 23, 2007 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. Brie, Somerville, MA

I know I'm ready for the infighting to stop and the collaboration to begin. Obama seems like someone who can bring people from all areas together to work for the common good. Since I was born in 1981, there has either been a Bush or a Clinton in the White House. That's 26 years of rule by two families (in a democracy). I'm not saying they were all bad, in fact some of them were quite good, but we can't relive the past and I am ready for someone to breathe new life into our political process. I say it's definitely time for a change!

July 23, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Mike, HI

No offense to Obama, but that is a rather tired statement. Not by him, but by all politicians. Everyone promises to go to Washington to clean up the mess, because they know how much Americans disapprove of Washington politics. Yet nothing seems to change. Not to say that Obama couldn't bring about change, but he'll need to offer more than this; perhaps by explaining what he would change.

I guess that's why I like Ron Paul, who offers the best solution: mass firings. 🙂

July 23, 2007 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  5. Teddy Notre Dame

You want ideas of how he will implement change in government and policy read his book. I guarantee you that half way through the book you will realize all that is wrong and see the plans he has laid out for fixing the problems we faced. There are no simple solutions and no one holds the right answers but a collection of ideas can and will provide the best results.

July 23, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  6. Jack, Durham, NC

Did you fail US History?

Ronald Reagan was President when you were born.

July 23, 2007 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |