August 7th, 2007

Poll shows Clinton widens lead over Obama

Clinton has widened her lead over Obama, according to a new poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York Sen. Hillary Clinton has notably widened her lead over her closest competitor in the 2008 Democratic presidential race, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, according to a new national USA/Today Gallup Poll released Monday night.

The survey, following a high-profile spat between the two candidates over who is better suited to handle foreign policy, shows Clinton at 48 percent - a 22 point lead over Obama. Clinton's support is up 8 percentage points from a similar poll conducted three weeks ago, while Obama, at 26 percent, is down 2 percentage points. Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards stands at 12 percent.

"[Voters are] taking a good hard look at all the candidates and concluding that Hillary has what it takes to be president and what it takes to take on the Republicans," wrote Mark Penn, a top strategist to the New York Democrat, in a memo to supporters Monday. "They know that Hillary Clinton has the experience and strength to bring about real change."

Full story

Related: Clinton proposes $1 billion in mortgage help

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. La'Goro, Albany, NY

To A Staffer, from D.C.

I see you are also one of those getting a heart attack from Obama's crumbling train. Get a grip, you were educated enough you would know how important it is to have an experience, well-infomed and decisive President of the USA.

August 7, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Afroz, Northern California

I’m no expert but isn’t it a tad bit too early to be looking at the polls? My personal views aside, it seems that Hilary’s solid campaign isn’t as solid as people may have perceived it to be. If anyone is making predictions based on the polls in August of 2007 for a presidential race that is taking place next year, I don’t think they’re necessarily going to be winning any bets.

August 7, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Paul, New Orleans, LA

Hillary doesn't care...who wants limited govt in your lives and wants to end the income tax--its RON PAUL!

August 7, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Independent Voter, TN

I would just like to add something I mentioned in another posting: For people such as myself who do not yet have a horse in this race, I tend to go the opposite direction from the shrill, angry supporters of any candidate.

Look what happened to Dean in 2004. He and his supporters were so obnoxious that they turned neutral people (myself included) against them.

So tune down all the negativity and put some logical and reasoned thought into your posts and you just might get me and the millions like me to vote for your candidate.

August 7, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. IV, Dallas

CNN's omission of Obama's lead in South Carolina is what's so glaring here. Tout national polls all you like, Hillary isn't the frontrunner when you get more specific in your polling.

August 7, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. IV, Dallas

La'Goro:

Seriously, are you a Hillary for President staffer? Your talking points sound as if they're coming straight from the Clinton campaign, and you've been repeating ad nauseum ever since you started commenting here.

August 7, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. TheDonald

It's an open secret who the MSM and the powerful moneybags are rooting for, Clinton or Guiliani. Why, you might ask? Because they know that the status quo will be protected. NYT, MSNBClinton, Clinton News Network (CNN) all are in the same camp. As for Faux Noise, they prefer a candidate that will make for primetime ridicule for their target audience and HRC fits this profile perfectly well.

More of the same for ever!

August 7, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Chris, Buffalo NY

I find it strange that so many people are already so decided in who would make the best president. We're just getting started here; I don't think any of us fully understand the politics of EVERYONE running, and without knowing that, how can we make an educated vote?

It would be nice to see more people with an open mind who weren't so set in who they think should be president. If people really can know so soon, why don't we just skip the rest of the primary debates and just go straight to voting!

August 7, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Bobby of Williamsburg, VA

I'm not a big fan of Hillary, although her husband did great things, and it'd be nice if we had those things again even if it means having the same person in office for a possible 16 years. It's about getting the job done. Obama is nice, but I say we play it safe with a white, male, Democrat. And until Democrats can strongly hold onto a winning streak of presidential elections then we can play around with the idea of letting either a woman or black person into the White House. I hate to say it but there are people, especially conservative Republicans who aren't fond of the idea of having a minority president.

If Hillary gets the nomination, I don't know what I'll do, I actually don't. If Obama wins, I might just end up voting for him in the general election.

Right now, I'm behind Chris Dodd, I think he has a great plan for this country, unfortunately people are being distracted by the glitz of a former first lady and a charisma-fueled Illinois senator.

He probably won't win, but I say Chris Dodd for president, and probably Joe Biden for vice president.

August 7, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Jan Loza, Los Angeles, CA

You must be joking – Hillary ahead? Who are these polls asking, because I know no one who likes her, trusts her, or would vote for her, and none of us are radical wingnuts of the Democratic persuasion, just serious, thinking, concerned Democratics. These polls make no sense and I think they are false and an attempt to sway the public into thinking Hillary is inevitable. If she is, the country is doomed further.

August 7, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Jerry, NYC

The Karl Rove Republicans portrayed decent truth teller Gore as a liar and war hero Kerry as a traitor. What would they do with Edwards or Obama? FOX News and Hate Radio and voter suppression are all part of the right wing conspiracy to keep this country in the hands of thieves goons. The Clintons will fight back, and bring this country back to sanity.

August 7, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Linda, Chandler AZ

Wow...they surveyed a whopping 490 Democrats????!!! Considering that over a quarter of a million contributed to Obama's campaign so far...far more that Ms. Clinton...I highly doubt this poll truly reflects the opinions of most people in this country. But good try at propaganda CNN.

August 7, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Christian, Palmetto FL

It's still pretty early on in the race, and I think that the establishment in Washington and the media are in for a shock come January '08.

Obama's here to stay. There hasn't been so much energy for a primary candidate in a long time. It'll be my generation, the 18+ year olds, that'll back up Obama. When has a pollster ever called me? Never, because I don't answer the house phone.

August 7, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Joe Memphis, TN

Mrs. Clinton is a lightening rod. I do not know where most of you pro-Hillary folks are from. Hopefully, not from the coast or the Washington bubble because here in the heartland she is disliked. Republicans can't wait to run against her.
    P.S. Just look at the Electoral College map. She may win the popular vote but she darn sure won’t win the Electoral College. She will lose Penn, Ohio, Florida and the other southwestern swing states
    Just a fact.

August 7, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. rada, houston, tx

oh, stop the complaining if you do not like CNN go to MSN or FOX and stop it.

Face reality Hillary is the best candidate right now... she will be our next president.

August 7, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. OPA

I agree with Linda from Arizona.

This poll is way too small to determine anything.

And its only August people. Obama's train is doing just fine running along side Hillary's.

August 7, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. VanReuter NY NY

Thanks to the following posters for more than proving my point.

ReadBtwthlins
    musonda chikala
    Mary, Beaver, PA
    Louis Roundtree
    Jake, Iowa
    Andy Austin TX
    Eustace, New York
    A, NY, NY
    TheDonald
    Linda, Chandler AZ

If you don't like the news, blame the messenger.

Van

August 7, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. pat huntington ny

Will someone please come up with concrete reasons for the unreasonable red state animus against Hillary other than the knee jerk one liners from FOX news? The prejudice against her is unwarranted, and is only fed by ignorance. And perhaphs a little bit of sexism too.

August 7, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Amy, TN

"The CNN Political Ticker is the hottest destination for the latest political news with dispatches, behind-the-scenes reports, and expert commentary, 24-7."

I have a problem with the word 'expert' in that hooey posted at the top of this blog.

August 7, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  20. Christian, Palmetto FL

Why did I never hear of the June 1-3 USA Today Gallo Poll numbers, where it was Clinton/Obama at 37/36?

If anyone actually looks at the numbers on the USATODAY website, one can see how fluidic and fluctuation prone the numbers have been so far. Not to mention that statistical science can never truly duplicate real life. Let's not hold our breath; Obama has a great chance of winning.

August 7, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Mary, Holland, MI

La'Goro

I've been saying it for a while now–Clinton/Biden ticket. Clinton will not pick Obama as a running mate. She will pick someone mature, experienced, and centrist.

August 7, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

Call it a flame, but call it the truth. You people that are aboard the HRC train have no idea about the shape of our Country and obviously no desire to change it. Of course, it doesn't need change if you can't even recognize the problems. The Hillary crowd reminds me of the Paris Hilton crowd. All bandwagon supporters that can't honestly think for themselves. You go ahead and vote for that trifling thief (Hillary). Think Bush is bad? Wait until her ego takes over Washington.

August 7, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Yet, more accurate state polling has Clinton running second, funny.

These general numbers are completely irrelevant. Can you imagine having to tell people that your job was to conduct polling for presidential campaigns. It surely can't get any worse than that!

August 7, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Lance, Monrovia, CA

I am incredibly sick and tired of Hilary Clinton being given the defacto crown of Democratic nominee.

Hilary Clinton is static, stale and standing still compared to Obama. People are actually excited about Obama, there is a definite momentum about the man. I dont know anyone that feels any differently about Hilary now than they did 20 years ago.

She feels out of touch, just look at her attire and what she says. She's playing politics as usual. Obama strikes me as rolling up his sleeves and actually doing the dirty work required to pull this country out of the mud and back into the great nation it is supposed to be.

We're totally screwed in the next election if it's close. With Hilary, it's going to be close, which is why Guiliani is anointing her. Shes his wet dream of a candidate. With Hilary running the Republicans can count on voter apathy as they always do.

If it's Obama, even if Republicans steal a 100,000 votes, how are they going to stop the other 900,000 voters that have never voted before that Obama is going to pull out of the woodwork in every state, people he's actually INSPIRED with both his words and his actions.

August 7, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. Eustace., New York, NY

So can I ask a question?

How much experience does one get from being first lady? People and HRC's campaign keep saying she has 35 years of experience. As first lady of Arkansas and the U.S, all I know they do is greet visitors and decorate the white house for christmas, make speeches and make public appearances and travel overseas to seem diplomatic.

She hasn't spent that much time in the senate. Wow... such hardcore experience. I'll throw my support behnid the candidate who worked helping disadvantaged Americans on the ground directly, who did civil rights law, who taught constitutional law and who strongly believe in turning the page. This is what america needs, not superficial and artificially inflated experience which basically draws on the substanceless status quo if the establishment that invaded Iraq, did not catch Osama Bin Laden when Clinton had the chance to, did nothing about Rwanda, created a Nafta that secured Canadian and Mexican jobs more than it did American jobs and opportunities.

Being a ceremonial figure in the white house doesn't give you the experience you need. Avoiding specifics and hiding behind semantics doesn't give you the credibility you need. Thats what Mrs. Clinton has done.

I think people need to re-evaluate the so call experience of Sen. Clinton when compared to Obama's.

The Audacity of CNN's clinton's supposed inevitability is no matah against the Audacity of Hope.

August 7, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |