August 7th, 2007

Poll shows Clinton widens lead over Obama

Clinton has widened her lead over Obama, according to a new poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York Sen. Hillary Clinton has notably widened her lead over her closest competitor in the 2008 Democratic presidential race, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, according to a new national USA/Today Gallup Poll released Monday night.

The survey, following a high-profile spat between the two candidates over who is better suited to handle foreign policy, shows Clinton at 48 percent - a 22 point lead over Obama. Clinton's support is up 8 percentage points from a similar poll conducted three weeks ago, while Obama, at 26 percent, is down 2 percentage points. Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards stands at 12 percent.

"[Voters are] taking a good hard look at all the candidates and concluding that Hillary has what it takes to be president and what it takes to take on the Republicans," wrote Mark Penn, a top strategist to the New York Democrat, in a memo to supporters Monday. "They know that Hillary Clinton has the experience and strength to bring about real change."

Full story

Related: Clinton proposes $1 billion in mortgage help

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. VanReuter NY NY

She leads in Iowa, NH, SC, Fla., Ca. Nevada,Michigan, New Jersey; In USA Today, Gallup,ABC news/Washington Post,American Research Group,CNN/WMUR, Insider Advantage, Mason/Dixon, Rasmussen, Quinnipiac, Survey USA, Strategic Vision, and EVERY aggregate poll in RCP.

Hillary is winning, and the others are whining.

Van

August 7, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Lance, Monrovia, CA

"I think people need to re-evaluate the so call experience of Sen. Clinton when compared to Obama’s."

INCREDIBLY well said Eustace.

This is what I've been thinking for ages perfectly laid out by you. What possible claim does Clinton have to the throne of experience? She's been in the Senate, oh wow that makes her the queen?! Nah. I admire much of what she's done and I'm not taking it away from her, but Obama has had his boots on the ground, actually seeing the state of the country. He is not running for a legacy, he is not running for the money, he is not running for the 100,000 an hour speeches he can give later.

The man is running because he sees a need and he believes, as I do, that he's the one to fill that need. He's putting himself and family in a precarious position, opening himself up to attack both personal and otherwise, crossing ground that hasn't been crossed before both in our culture and in his party, BECAUSE THE MAN CARES and because of the experiences you just mentioned above.

For once since I can remember, you have a candidate in Obama that actually feels like he's doing something for the greater good and not pandering to the big money that made Clinton and every other politician running in the race.

He's doing it because he feels he has no choice, and that sort of karma comes around a lot quicker than all the polls in the world can predict.

I'm proud of him and ambivilant about Hillary.

August 7, 2007 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Bill, Herndon, VA

Hey Clinton News Network, Obama is in a statistical dead heat with Clinton in NH and ahead in SC.

August 7, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Greg, Oceanside CA

For you Ron Paul supporters whining he isn't getting any media attention, here's a bone for you. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292334,00.html
    He sounds real conservative

August 7, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Good question, Eustace!

As far as I can tell (and I am from Arkansas by the way), the only things we know for sure about Hillary are:

1) She got her job as a senator in a state she had never lived in BECAUSE she was married to a former president.

2) She is one of two front runners in the race for the Democratic nomination BECAUSE she was married to a former president.

3) She was able to push for a healthcare plan (that failed miserably) DURING her husband's presidency.

4) She was involved in the Whitewater scandal that came about as a RESULT of her husband's governorship.

Gee, it makes PERFECT since why she is being touted as the next president!

Fear not though, all this and more will come out when the real election gets under way so I don't think we will have to worry about her taking any bigger jobs.

August 7, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. VanReuter NY NY

Eustice-

TWICE voted one of the 100 most influential lawyers in America, Eight years beside President Bill Clinton, as his closest advisor and confidante, 7 Years in the Senate, and yes, whether you like it or not, THIRTY-FIVE years of verifiable public service.
    Your Hero has less than TWO years in the Senate and has spent that time either writing self-flattering books or running for President. Obama is ego and ambition personified, who the gullible have gobbled up hook, line and sinker.

Van

August 7, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. E. Caldwell Philadelphia, Pa

In the last few weeks H. Clinton has done nothing but wait for Obama to make a mistake and then try to pounce on it. Is that being a leader. Her forign policy stance is the same stance as Bush and everyone else who has proceeded him with a few exception, " We turn our noses up to people we disagree with and we don't talk to them" well judging by 9/11 North Korea's expanding Nuclear arsenal of weapons, Iran's strenthening of its nuclear power...do i really need to continue. The current policy doesn't work, and H. Clinton wants to continue it, why am i voting for her again? She would use Nuclear weapons killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people to eliminate small terrorist cells that usually operate with a max of 12 people who dont even know each other. Does this make sense. Is this why I'm voting for her. I havent heard H. Clinton say aything that makes sense or is different from what we are doing now so H. Clinton, since CNN has already picked you to win the primary can you please give me a reason to vote for you. Hats off to Obama for taking a stand against the norm. But be careful though, those are things leaders do.

August 7, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Independent Voter, TN

Lance,

Am I mistaken or are you Obama's BFF?

I'm assuming you know all of these things about him because you have shared one on one policy discussions with him or he's writing you personal missives keeping you apprised of life in Obamaland?

You are positively GUSHING and to those of us who are leery of all politicians, it makes Obama sound like a Rasputin-like individual. Ron Paul is generating similar feelings on the other side and frankly, I'm skeptical of anyone who marshalls zealots.

I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open, but anyone who makes up their mind this early needs a lesson in patience. And don't be too down on Hillary...you may have to take all this nonsense back and pull the lever for her in 2008.

August 7, 2007 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  9. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Eustice:

Thank you for writing my comments! I agree with you 200 %.

What other Candidate in the Race is as Experienced, Politically Savy, Internationally Respected, with aa Proven Track Record? None.

To Greg Phoeinix:
    If you can't accept that Hillary is definitely the most experienced and credible Candidate as President than by all all means continue with you fruitless diatribe of criticisms....

GO HILLARY!!

August 7, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. Will Sioux city Iowa

The Clinton News Network pulling all the stops for their candidate.I see why more people have started watching MSNBC. National polls are irrelevant.

Posted By Jake, Iowa :

Jake, MSNBC also has Hilary Clinton leading in it's polls. Wake up people, facts are facts. If the CNN polls had Obama leading, then many of you would be saying "Oh these polls are always correct". The fact of the matter is, these polls are nothing but a percentage of actual voters. Do you think CNN is going to fork out money investigating who is going to vote for who, and then makes a telephone call to only those people. Whining Whining Whining.. Boo Hoo.. Hilary is in the lead, deal with it!
    Will Iowa

August 7, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

VAN: (Sorry I entered the wrong name on my previous post) I DO NOT AGREE with Eustice.

Thank you for writing my comments! I agree with you 200 %.

To Greg Phoeinix:
    If you can’t accept that Hillary is definitely the most experienced and credible Candidate as President than by all all means continue with you fruitless diatribe of criticisms….

GO HILLARY!!

Posted By Tricia M Charlottetown PEI : August 7, 2007 5:36 pm

August 7, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. Linda, Chandler AZ

Oh Van, Van, Van....don't you get it?? We don't care that Hillary Clinton was voted "Most Influential Lawyer" or was First Lady..or whatever else you want to tout as her "experience". We've HAD the Clintons in the White House!!! This isn't a monarchy! She will not bring this country together. And I suggest maybe you READ one of Obama's books before you start disparaging his name again.

August 7, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Lance, Monrovia, Ca.

To Independent in TN, who asked me this question just above this post....

"Lance,

Am I mistaken or are you Obama’s BFF?"

You speculate Obama sounds like a "Rasputin-like" individual because I am gushing about him. Your suspicions, after so many years of mindless Republican dribble, are not unfounded and I commend your question. It is a good one, and one that if enough people ask may just lead to the first honest to god real debate and election we've had in this country for six years...

Hmn, well, let's see Mr. Independent in TN... I have not had any personal discussions with Mr. Obama, no. But I do know probably more about his policies than I do Hilary Clintons.

He's not the only candidate I like, by the way, I also think Edwards would make an excellent president, and I think that Clinton would not do anything horribly wrong either.

That said, I believe in Obama most because he is, to me anyway, the most electable and the most in-synch with how I feel about the current state of affairs in this country.

My experience, limited as it is, has taught me that lobbyists and corporate money are not interested in helping the middle class I belong to.

Bill Clinton, Hilary's husband, also started NAFTA, which didn't do the section of the country I'm from any favors. I've seen it's effects first hand and I know that Hilary Clinton thinks in the same corporate mentality that her husband does, she's proved this repeatedly in recent debates.

I hate politik speak, because it keeps politicians from actually saying anything. Although Obama is not perfect, he at least puts himself out enough to take chances, something Hilary and her front runner status won't.

I admire what you said about keeping your eyes and ears open. I've been following Obama since 2004 and I've read his books, I've also looked over his health plan, so I do feel I'm at least reasonably aware of the candidates and informed enough to make an early decision. Of course my thoughts may change, who knows.

To me, Obama is taking a large risk to run for President. There are a lot of questions his being in the race begs, amongst them, "are we ready for a black president?" and "Is his experience a plus or minus?"

My response to both those questions is right above this post, not in my own words, but in the words of the vast majority of other people on this board.

All I ask is that you continue to keep eyes and ears open. Don't stop thinking, and I'm sure whatever your eventual conclusion is, you'll have earned it and it will be legit.

August 7, 2007 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Joe Memphis, TN

Clinton the most experienced, ha. Keep sipping that koolaide. What about Mr. Joe Biden and Mr. Dodd over 20 years each in the Senate. Mr Richards a Dimplomat and a Gov. If beening first lady qualifies as experience for President Laura Bush should run.

August 7, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. Jim Shannon, St. Paul, MN

Hillary may be leading the Democrats in the polls, but she remains un-electable. She will say or do anything that is required to being elected--regardless of what is best for our nation. Consequently, Hillary divides the Democratic votes and unites the Republicans against her. This is why Republican pundits and pollsters (and now CNN.com) are doing all they can to marginalize Obama, Edwards and the other Democratic candidates. Republicans know that they have the best chance of victory if Hillary is the Democratic candidate in 2008. Unfortunately, these Republicans are probably correct; many very committed Democrats (such as myself) will never vote for Hillary under any circumstances. I am not clear on who I want to support, but I am crystal clear that I will not support Hillary Clinton under any circumstances.

August 7, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. BFS, Seattle WA

If Clinton and Obama are the Deomcratic bid, I beleive they (the Democrats) will be digging their grave for the 3rd consecutive time. Why you and I may be ready for a Woman President and Black Vice President, no way is 51 percent of voting America ready. People are very polarized in their opinion of Hillary. I'm not ready for another Republican President, but I don't think Clinton/Obama is the answer America as a majority can accept.

August 7, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. erika morgan black dimond wa

This is the ticket Gulliani and Rove are hoping for, they think this is their chance, only chance of taking the general election. I'm an Independent, I like Biden, Obama sort of, Clinton for her experience in the spotlight, Kucinich, Nader, not necessarily in that order. Edwards and Thompson are too much politicians who present a fake idea, for me to consider them, McCain is to old and sick, Gulliani is a slick sleaze ball and the others seem so weird and such long shots. Maybe Gore will get into the race.

August 7, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. VanReuter NY NY

Read BOTH books, Linda.
    It's all he's done since he was elected. Oh yeah, except for voting to fund the war he was so against 5 times! He's been doing his constituents a lot of good too, using his time to run for president, instead of fulfilling his responsibilities to them. Even the hated Hillary, whose experience and credentials mean nothing to the Obama-Nation.
    I DO get it, Linda;
    You've all been Obama-boozled!

Van

August 7, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. av3, Washington DC

All of this experience and still Hillary decided that invading Iraq was a good move. It would do her well, as it would with all political leaders, to read the writings of Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher who is one of the most intelligent people to have walked this earth.

"No State Shall by Force Interfere with the Constitution or Government of Another State"

This is one of six of Kant's preliminary articles for perpetual peace among states. We are going in the wrong direction under the leadership of our "experienced."

Wisdom over experience any day.

August 7, 2007 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  20. Lyons Steve

/***
    I wish there were either a moderate (Lieberman) or independent candidate that would do the right thing with Iraq (set a time-table to get our troops home and let the Iraqis know they must step-up),
    ***?

Simply put, you know not what you talk about. In case you haven't noticed, Lieberman is a Repub moderate in Independent clothing. Lieberman has been kissing Bush's butt over Iraq since it started. He's a war hawk. He's useless. He made everyone laugh when he stated, like a pipsqueak, that he'd "stand up to Hollywood."
    We'd prefer someone who stood up to President Fascist and his criminal administration.
    Lieberman ain't a moderate.

August 7, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  21. Juanito, Washington, DC

Hillary has the most experience? She's been an elected official for 6 years, and she has the most experience? Wow...you people sure are intelligent...lol.

By the way, what did all this so-called experience add to the equation when it came time to vote on the Iraq War? Didn't Hillary in 2006 declare emphatically that setting a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq would be a mistake, yet in 2007 she now advocates the same timetable for withdrawal?
    Oh..right...that's her "experience" showing, right?

Finally...Van...why was Hillary named among the 100 Most Influential lawyers (I'll take your word for it), when she never passed the bar exam?

Wake up people.

August 7, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  22. Garrett Indianapolis, IN

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us, the unscientific poll takers, could get the msm to take us seriously? Maybe then they won't be as shocked when Ron Paul and Obama go head to head in 08. Change, whatever that may be, is too important for our generation to pass up. Let's get this right so we don't have to clean up a bigger mess in 2012.

August 7, 2007 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  23. Touley, Lowell MA

Who cares about South Carolina's polling. There are 37 states that Hillary Clinton is far ahead. Just name a few.
    1: California
    17: Ohio
    18: Maine
    19: Oregon
    20: Virginia

August 8, 2007 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  24. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Obama is "fresh" (meaning new or inexperienced) about international polititcs! A baby is fresh, so are the high school grads.

He just said Canada having a president (acutally a prime minister), and wanted to unilaterally "invade" Pakistan ( an "ally" )to fight terrorists there! He has the "foot in mouth" disease!

You want him to be the american president? Good luck and good bless america!

August 8, 2007 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  25. John, Evansville, IN

CNN = Clinton News Network

OBAMA is a MUCH BETTER candidate than Clinton.

We should be paying more attention to RON PAUL. He and Gravel are the actually THE ABSOLUTE BEST candidates. MORE ARTICLES ON RON PAUL AND GRAVEL!!!

August 8, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am |