August 11th, 2007

Ron Paul's wife hospitalized

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rep. Ron Paul's wife was hospitalized Monday at a Houston-area hospital, a spokesman for the Texas Republican confirms to CNN.

"Carol Paul has been taken ill and is currently in the Critical Care Unit at a Houston area hospital," Jesse Benton, Paul's spokesman, said in an email statement to CNN. "She has had several abdominal surgeries and remains in serious but stable condition. Dr. Paul appreciates the outpouring of concern and good wishes during this difficult time."

Benton did not name the hospital or provide further details about the hospitalization.

Paul unsuccessfully sought the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, developing a loyal following among people who support limited government as well as among anti-war activists. Paul was the only Republican presidential candidate who opposed the Iraq war.

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Kim, Mpls, MN

My thoughts are with the Paul's and his family. I'm an Obama supporter who is impressed with not only Ron, but his supporters as well. A great bunch of people and I wish you all well during this time.

August 11, 2007 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. VanReuter NY NY

Wish her well. Get well soon Mrs. Paul.

Van

August 11, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Sfp

All our prayers are with Ms Paul.

August 11, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. Chris, Austin, TX

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I am a dedicated Ron Paul supporter and my thoughts and prayers will be with him and Carol that she will make a quick and full recovery. Of course he is with her, but I also hope he will do well in the poll. America NEEDS Ron Paul and the ideals he stands for.

August 11, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. bret, atl, ga

Word is she is fine, folks. Ron has appeared in Ames so we can assume that everything is OK since he said he wouldn't leave until he was sure she was all right.

August 11, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Matt, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Paul represents the genuine change that this country needs, a free society with a truly limited government. He and his family have my unconditional support.

August 11, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. Flood, Indianapolis, Indiana

Hope she is ok – RP is the only republican i like!

August 11, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Tammy Martin, Morgan City, LA

All of our prayers are with Mrs. Paul and her family.

The Martins 🙂

August 11, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. M

I hope your wife is well and strong. And that you continue to challenge the crooks. BUT, unless you immediately support HR 333 I am afraid I will be an EX-Paul supporter

August 11, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. Beverly June Aksamit, Cleveland, Mo. 64734

Hopefully Mrs. Paul will be out of hospital by the time this is posted. I am voting for Hillary Clinton but I think RP makes the most sense of any of the Republican candidates.

August 11, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Steven, Austin, TX

Hope Carol's feeling better. My heart goes out to her and their family

August 11, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Richard Orlando, FL

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, Ron Paul. I hope Carol gets well soon.

You are the best candidate in the Republican field as far as I am concerned, a true constitutionalist. God bless.

August 11, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. Chris, San Rafael, CA

"Ron Paul is considered a long shot..."

Would you care to identify WHO considers Paul a long-shot?

Or is that just the mainstream media bias for your designated front-runners, that we're so familiar with?

August 11, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. N. A.

My family's prayers are with you and yours this sabbath day Mr. Paul.

With your courageous leadership I know we can take our country back!

Sincerely,

-Nathan

August 11, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Kathie, St Louis, MO

I am sorry to hear that. I hope it is not serious. I am a supporter of Ron Paul, I hope he does well in Iowa's strawpoll.

August 11, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. Erico M, New York, NY

I re-registered as a Republican from being a Democrat to vote for Paul in the primary. The only reason people think he is a "long shot" is because the media is instructed to tell you that. Regardless of how much he wins in the people polls – you aren't told what you aren't supposed to know.

August 11, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Allen

Bad fishsticks?

August 11, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. Jennifer SLC UT

HE IS NOT A LONG SHOT...

HE IS OUR ONLY SHOT

FOR A MORE PERFECT UNION OF THIS COUNTRY AS OUR CONSTITUTION PROMISES.

GOD BLESS CAROL AND RON PAUL.
    MAY YOU FEEL BETTER CAROL!

August 11, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. Earl , Whitesburg, GA

Hope all goes well for you fine folks in Iowa, and it is my hope that Ron Paul makes a good showing there today........

August 11, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. fedupwithourgov't

My best wishes to Mrs. Paul.

As an Independent, Ron Paul has my vote.

August 11, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. MS Johnson City, TN

Get Well Soon Mrs. Paul.

The folks from East Tennessee wish you a speedy recovery.

August 11, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Mike in Atlanta GA

Bad fish sticks......Mrs. Paul. Now that's funny. (not that she is having a medical issue, I am a RP backer) That's just very witty.

August 11, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. BoruJudasDedrich

When Ross Perot threatened the globalists in Republican clothing, something happened to one of his family members too.

Real change requires a real revolution.

August 11, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. David Ferry

Best of wishes to the Dr. Paul family.

America's Braveheart, 🙂

God Bless Ron Paul,
    and America

August 11, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. Janet, Crystal River, FL

Ron Paul is our only hope for America! God Bless you and my prayers are with you and your family Dr. Paul.

August 11, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |