August 14th, 2007

Edwards/Obama ticket?

John Edwards said he was 'open-minded' to having Barack Obama as his vice presidential running mate.

JEFFERSON, Iowa (CNN) - At a stop on his "Fighting for One America" bus tour Monday, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards was asked whether, if chosen to be the nominee, he would consider tapping Democratic opponent Barack Obama as his vice presidential running mate.

"I am open minded about it, to answer your question," said the former senator from North Carolina. "I have made what, at least for now, would be a short list for me of people to consider, just as I've done the same thing for each cabinet position."

So who would Edwards pick? Well, when it comes to selecting people for an administration, he says they wouldn't necessarily have to align with his political party.

"I know this is not the greatest thing to say in front of Iowa Democratic caucus-goers, but they don't have to be a Democrat. I'm looking for the best people I can find."

Edwards went on to say that he's not looking for "'yes people' like George Bush has around him."

The stop in Jefferson is part of the campaign's seven-day "Fighting for OneAmerica" bus tour, which kicked off earlier in the day in Des Moines. Edwards outlined a plan to "improve care for injured Iraq and Afghanistan veterans." He also called on the Iraqi parliament to "end their month-long vacation early."

"More than 30 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq this month," Edwards said in a statement.

Monday morning's bus kickoff was planned as a family affair that was to include wife Elizabeth and their two youngest children, but, according to the former senator, Elizabeth was not feeling well and was forced to skip the first event.

"Elizabeth ate something at breakfast this morning that didn't agree with her," Edwards said.

Mrs. Edwards, however, was back on the trail with her husband later in the day, even introducing him at their stop in Jefferson. She appeared healthy and had no problem visiting with dozens who stuck around to chat after the
event.

"I was a little gimpy this morning, but I'm feeling good now," she told CNN. "I brought some food with me from North Carolina that I should have refrigerated. It's my fault, my fault."

Sen. Edwards said that his wife's sickness Monday morning is the reason he was more than an hour late for the kickoff event. It also forced the campaign to cancel their appearance at the Iowa State Fair, which was next on their agenda for the day.

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John Edwards
  1. Art, Maryland

Edwards states that more than 30 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq this month. Has he considered the multitude of Iraqis that have been saved by our presence there and more importantly, has he considered the multitude of American lives that have been saved due to the Iraq war?

Our military has obtained tons of valuable information in Iraq from computer disk drives and other intelligence that we otherwise would not have had access to. While this information is rarely reported, it has prevented many more terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.

I have no doubt that Edwards will follow Clinton's lead and do nothing – just as Clinton did after the World Trade Center bombing in 1993 and again after the Cole bombing – which will inevitably lead to more terrorist attacks. By then, the Republicans will be back in the White House and then we can just blame them for whatever actions they may take.

August 13, 2007 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. Gabe Reed

is not going to happen

August 13, 2007 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. John Schaaf, Long Beach, Ca.

John Edwards has experience, vsion and less negatives than the current front-runner.

He is the most electable Democrat!

August 13, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Steven

Very Interesting. Politics is not a linear science and this is a good example of that principal. Ms Hillary's staff must be harumphing over this one. Individually, neither is, after all is said and done, a all that strong as a national candidate (Edwards in particular), but together they could cause a problem for the Clinton juggernaut.

August 13, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. Stephen, Tallahassee

maybe the other way around ... Obama/edwards ...

August 13, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  6. Unit, Harrisburg, PA

Why does Mr. Haircut 400 even think he has a chance? What a loser. He should be hoping Mr. Obama would be "goofy" enough to consider destroying any hopes he had of being president by running with this silver spoon in mouth out of touch with the common man career politician.

August 13, 2007 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. Jason, Charlotte, NC

FINALLY!!! The dream ticket, and someone has said it. I like Hillary, but there's no way she'd win where I'm from. The only reason Edwards didn't win my state last time was because Kerry was on top of the ticket. If all of us are smart, this would be what we choose to take back the White House.

August 13, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  8. Radical Hippie, St. Michael, MN

I wish this guy was more likeable.

Anyone but clinton!!!

August 13, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  9. Dan, Maryland

Wow... the Breck Girl and Inexperienced Lad. No balance.

Ain't gonna happen.

This is Hillary's nomination to lose.

Now a Clinton/Obama ticket? That's believable.

August 13, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  10. Bruce, Franklin, TN

Considering that Edwards is running an unimpressive third (behind Obama) in the national polls, maybe he should be realistic and ask Obama if he could run as Obama's VP.

I'd certainly vote for Obama (an inexperienced senator who has a somewhat positive message) than for Edwards (an inexperienced senator who churns out a populist message pitting American against American).

August 13, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  11. Donald, Westport, CT

Should we be paying these guys who are our elected officials to put their presidential aspirations ahead of doing the nation's business? Am I the only one who wonders how these senators can spend so much time away from their jobs and still get paid?

August 13, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  12. Nathan, Bangor, Maine

John Edwards can think all he likes about VP and Cabinet positons, but the fact is he is an electoral loser. He didn't add anything to the 2004 ticket, and wouldn't win Sth or Nth Carolina in a general election.

August 13, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  13. cliff jones, honolulu hi

This might be the ticket that could work for the democrats. I think that they would be electable.

August 13, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Brian Greensboro, NC

Edwards/Obama 2008! Thats a great idea!

August 13, 2007 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. Dave Beckwith

How exciting is THAT! A pair like that would spark a renaissance of coolness the likes of which have, perhaps, never been seen in this country.
    I've often felt that Obama was where Edwards was in 2000 (a potential VP), and this may well be the best team of all. I have also thought that Obama would be president some day...and that day may well be his just reward for being an awesome VP.
    Hillary, Gore and even some of the more enlightened Republicans could really help pull America out of whole dug by a fading and spent administration.
    Carpe Millennium!
    -Dave

August 13, 2007 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  16. Jason, Los Angeles

That would be awesome

August 13, 2007 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. Dave Beckwith, Charlotte, NC

Hillary, Gore and even some of the more enlightened Republicans could really help pull America out of the hole dug by a fading and spent administration.
    Carpe Millennium!
    -Dave

August 13, 2007 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. Ryan Los Angeles,CA

An Edwards/Obama ticket would be all but certain to win a general election.

August 14, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. Anonymous

Nah. Switch the order of the ticket around and you might have something.

August 14, 2007 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  20. Deb, Charlotte NC

I like John Edwards until he became a Senator in my state. He immediately began running for President and lost the seat for N.C., we now have two knee jerk Republicans in Dole and Burr who only vote the party line. I don't understand Edwards pondering Obama as a possible running mate when the Senator is higher than him in every poll taken. Perhaps he should choose his wife Elizabeth. She's proven to be the one with the guts and the brains.

August 14, 2007 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  21. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

I can go for that one.

August 14, 2007 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  22. BD

Barack Obama will be second to no one. There will be a thrid ticket if necessary.

PERIOD!

If you don't believe me , go look at the comments section on the Obama website regarding Karl Rove. No one is talking about Rove. Instead, everyone is stating that they will never vote for Hillary and if Obama does not get the Dem Nod, he will be forcd onto a Third Ticket or else we will just not vote.

Go check it out.

August 14, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  23. Phil

give obama a chance... we cry about how we despise washington but america keeps on putting the people there so in reality its our fault... obama is a rookie but sometimes you have to give a rookie his chance... it's not like theres a clear cut choice nominee this year... if anytime we needed change its now... if we elect anyone but him... we will continue to witness the same policies that everyone complains about now... i'm sick of these pundits criticizing every wrong move... my god he is a human being...he makes mistakes. I want a president who's not afriad to go up against his own party, one thats not afraid of what pundits or critics say.... on that doesn't flip flop on issues and one that stands for change... i'm sick of bush/clinton era it's time to move on and into a new fresher political era... OBAMA 2008

August 14, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  24. Carl, Dallas, Texas

As long as these 2 go against Hillary, it won't matter to me which one is VP or President....

August 14, 2007 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  25. Greg, Houston

The thought has possibilities. I would vote for it.g

August 14, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |