August 14th, 2007

Edwards/Obama ticket?

John Edwards said he was 'open-minded' to having Barack Obama as his vice presidential running mate.

JEFFERSON, Iowa (CNN) - At a stop on his "Fighting for One America" bus tour Monday, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards was asked whether, if chosen to be the nominee, he would consider tapping Democratic opponent Barack Obama as his vice presidential running mate.

"I am open minded about it, to answer your question," said the former senator from North Carolina. "I have made what, at least for now, would be a short list for me of people to consider, just as I've done the same thing for each cabinet position."

So who would Edwards pick? Well, when it comes to selecting people for an administration, he says they wouldn't necessarily have to align with his political party.

"I know this is not the greatest thing to say in front of Iowa Democratic caucus-goers, but they don't have to be a Democrat. I'm looking for the best people I can find."

Edwards went on to say that he's not looking for "'yes people' like George Bush has around him."

The stop in Jefferson is part of the campaign's seven-day "Fighting for OneAmerica" bus tour, which kicked off earlier in the day in Des Moines. Edwards outlined a plan to "improve care for injured Iraq and Afghanistan veterans." He also called on the Iraqi parliament to "end their month-long vacation early."

"More than 30 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq this month," Edwards said in a statement.

Monday morning's bus kickoff was planned as a family affair that was to include wife Elizabeth and their two youngest children, but, according to the former senator, Elizabeth was not feeling well and was forced to skip the first event.

"Elizabeth ate something at breakfast this morning that didn't agree with her," Edwards said.

Mrs. Edwards, however, was back on the trail with her husband later in the day, even introducing him at their stop in Jefferson. She appeared healthy and had no problem visiting with dozens who stuck around to chat after the
event.

"I was a little gimpy this morning, but I'm feeling good now," she told CNN. "I brought some food with me from North Carolina that I should have refrigerated. It's my fault, my fault."

Sen. Edwards said that his wife's sickness Monday morning is the reason he was more than an hour late for the kickoff event. It also forced the campaign to cancel their appearance at the Iowa State Fair, which was next on their agenda for the day.

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John Edwards
  1. Eugene Minter, Kennett Square, PA

An "Obama/Edwards", or "Edwards/Obama" would surely turn the page in politics, and represent a real dream ticket.

August 14, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Diane

Too much of a good thing...IS A GOOD THING!

August 14, 2007 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  3. PJM Ft Myers Fl

This is a great ticket.......I hope it works out.....Clinton is super but her "baggage" will not allow her to beat the Republicans. The USA cannot tolerate (emotionally, politically, internationally or economically) another President that is so conservative and has such disregard for civil liberities. The Edwards Obama Ticket just maybe our light at the end of the tunnel!

August 14, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Wesner, Miami Beach, Fl

That is the "Ticket" for change America, and I am all for it...

Oh!! By the way, CNN can we the people please have some have some more coverage on these two presidential candidates. Because I am tired of seeying Hillary flip flopping. There is zero authencity about her at all. And the most important of all, hypocrites.

August 14, 2007 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. NoMoreBush, Des Moines, Iowa

John Edwards is a breath of fresh air in the Presidental race. It is good to see a canidate actually address the issues. He is the only canidate that actually outlines his plan to correct the wrongs the current administration has created. Go John Go!

August 14, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. John S. Chicago, Illinois

Obama/Edwards has a much nicer ring to it, and is about 1000% more likely. Regardless, I am a big fan of Edwards, despite being loyal to Mr. Barak Obama. I would like to see John on that ticket. Nothing would sicken me more than to see a Clinton on either ticket. I really hope that these two don't shoot each other up too much, essentially giving the nomination to Hilary. She is a mistake waiting to happen. Obama/Edwards I think will actually be committed to changing the status quo in America, something that we have desperately needed for about 15 years now. Two classy individuals, set at changing the way our government works, changing the way Americans preceive the government. Changing the way the world sees America, and her people. This is the magic ticket people, so don't go screwin' it up by throwin away the Wonka Bar!

August 14, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Barabas, Hot City, TX

Ummmmm....I think it would be more realistic to be asking Obama if he would consider Edwards as VP. I mean, Edwards is already becoming an afterthought behind Clinton and Obama. This is kind-of a slap in the face to Obama.

August 14, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  8. Lawrence - Montclair, NJ

Actually I think a ticket with Sens. Edwards and Obama on it would be a very interesting and effective one – although I would prefer to see it read: "Obama/Edwards"!

Between the two of them, I think they could do great things for our country, which at the present time is in nothing short of a major crisis of staggering proportions on many fronts – social, economic and infrastructural.

August 14, 2007 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. George Greene, Raleigh, NC

As Edwards himself predicted, it is
    indeed upsetting and disappointing
    to Democratic activists for him to be
    saying that he would consider a Republican for a cabinet position.
    It goes without saying that "the best
    person" cannot possibly be a
    Republican. The Republican party
    routinely exploits people's fears
    and bigotries to win elections.
    Its only goal is power and its favored
    means for achieving it is persuading
    half of working America to feel superior to the other half on the
    basis of ethnicity, machismo, and
    publicly professed piety.
    There is no such thing as
    a decent principled Republican (or
    a Christian conservative, for that
    matter). Anybody who actually
    disapproved of this stuff would
    simply leave that party. Anybody
    who has not figured that out yet is
    not smart enough to be in the Cabinet
    at all, let alone to be "the best
    person".

I am from North Carolina so I will
    still be supporting Edwards, but he
    apparently still hasn't figured out
    that the only way he can win is to
    leave EVERY last attempt or instinct
    to pull a DLC/dive-to-the-center TO
    HILLARY. He apologized for the war
    and she didn't. He's about fixing
    this mess, and she's about what got
    us into it.

August 14, 2007 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Mike, Northern Virginia

If I'm working for Edwards, I would try to spread this idea around to people more. What an powerful combination! In order to close the gap with some of his competitors, more similarities between Edwards and Obama should be highlighted by the Edwards camp. They both symbolize a seperation from "politics as usual" and embody a youthful, energetic and very electable alternative to the Clinton machine (of course fueled by Washington lobbyists and not you and me)

August 14, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Independent Voter, TN

George from Raleigh:

I am an independent voter and have friends and family on both sides of the aisle. I take great offense to your inaccurate (not to mention horribly generalized and narrow-minded) remarks. You represent what is horribly wrong with politics today. You are the worst kind of partisan and someone that epitomizes the horrible gridlock in government.

I feel very sorry for you and all of the other of your ilk Republicans and Democrats who cannot for the life of them consider alternative views or opinions. You will go through life a miserable and unhappy man. How sad.

August 14, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. Rob Short Hills, NJ

This is the Dream Tcket !!!
    A Charasmatic, Experienced team that could lead to 16 years of Democratic control of the White House.
    Hillary Clinton is a solid candidate...but America needs to move away from the 2 family system of government.
    28 straight years with a Bush or a Clinton in the execution is enough.

August 14, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

No one in the right mind would want to be involved with this game show host.

Think it's safe to say that he is alienating himself from the rest of the candidates anyway.

Besides, if one of these two men is to serve as VP to the other, it sure as hell won't be Obama.

August 14, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Penna.

Won't happen!

August 14, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. Providence, RI

Edwards is phony and fake, who gets his hair cuts for $400.00, who has two faces, and who... He lost twice. Obama is "naive" and "inexperience." in foreign policy. It is not a winning ticket!!!

August 14, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. Chip Celina OH

"There is no such thing as
    a decent principled Republican (or
    a Christian conservative, for that
    matter). "

George, George, and this from the man that says : "The Republican party
    routinely exploits people's fears
    and bigotries to win elections."

It;s nice to see how the enlightened, open-minded truly feel.

August 14, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  17. OEST, Raleigh, NC

Barack Obama has zero chance of winning a general election in 2008.

Obama's time has always been 2016 when Generation Xers and Yers will be a more sizable portion of the electorate.

The fact that only 2 states in the history of this country, Illinois and Massachusetts, have ever elected a black person to a STATEWIDE Federal Office (the Senate), doesn't bode well for Obama in 2008, since he'd have to win "STATES" in a federal race in order to win the White House.

If Democrats are smart they'll go with Edwards/Obama, and set Obama up for 2016.

August 14, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. A.F.; Cedar Rapids, IA

As an Iowan, I have had the opportunity to see many of the candidates – both Democrats and Republicans – speak about their plans for our country.

Of the Democratic contenders, John Edwards is leading the charge with straight-forward answers and a positive plan for change. I believe an Edwards / Obama team would do wonderful things.

I also believe, however, that a Democratic president with Republican cabinet members could do a lot for a country that is so divided that very little is being accomplished.

I encourage everyone to take advantage of every opportunity to see and hear these candidates in person if you have the opportunity. The sound bites through the media do not do them justice.

August 14, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. Anon, Needham, MA

Let's face the truth. While I will vote for Obama or Kucinich, many voters with a traditional upbringing would not vote for a person who is half minority. I believe that people will say one thing to the telephone pollers, but once behind the voting booth, the prejudice comes out.

Don't you think Lieberman's religion cost Al Gore key votes in 2000?

I just hope that the race between the top three Democratic is as close as it seems. I just fear closet racists.

Go Democrats 🙂

August 14, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Netemara, Fort Worth TX

I've predicted that this might happen. It is the Jack/Bobby effect. Many people were open to the idea. And one must ask can a black man win at the top of the ticket?

You can see the chemistry between them, from the start.

Netemara

August 14, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. James, IA

I vote independent and so far have been favoring Romney. But I have to say I like what Edwards is getting at here: the UNITED States of America. Not the Democrats of America, or the Republicans of America, or the Libertarians of America, et al. Party politics are killing this great nation!! As a citizen, I want the best people leading this nation, not a party candidate and definitely not all of his party cronies. We've had plenty of that, and I don't just mean the last 16 years.

August 14, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  22. charlie, bradenton, FL

very misleading headline....Edwards himself didn't even answer this question when quoted in the article. Of course he's "open-minded" about it. Although who cares, since (unfortunately) he has no chance to be nominated behind Senators Clinton and Obama.

August 14, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Karen Walker, NY NY

Uma? Oprah? Oprah? Uma? Edwards? Obama? Obama? Edwards?

August 14, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. RuthieM

I don't think so. Do you mean - an Obama/Edwards ticket? Don't like that either. I think it's the "Edwards" part that is bothering me, and since it appears he puts his wife, Elizabeth, up to doing all his dirty work as in blasting the other candidates, he just doesn't seem either presidential or vice-presidential to me - but desperate.

August 14, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Also in the news:

Kucinich willing to consider Edwards as VP running mate

Robin willing to consider Batman as sidekick

Earth willing to consider Sun as orbiting satellite

August 14, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |