August 16th, 2007

Jenna Bush engaged

Jenna Bush and Henry Hager in 2005.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — President and Laura Bush's daughter, Jenna, is engaged to be married, the White House announced Thursday.

Jenna Bush, 25, is marrying Henry Hager, 28, a former White House aide who used to work with Karl Rove, and is a graduate of the University of Virginia School of Business, according to the Associated Press. Henry Hager’s father, John, is the chairman of the Virginia Republican Party, and the former lieutenant governor of Virginia.

The two met during the 2004 presidential campaign, but were not first spotted together until the president's inauguration in 2005, according to Style Magazine.

The first lady's office tells CNN the proposal occurred last night. The two are currently vacationing together in Maine.

No word if Hager asked the president for permission before the proposal.

No wedding date has been set.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Maddy, Hartford, Ct.

Sort of interesting that so many felt this was a "nonnews"...but so many took the time to read it and expressed their opinions.

August 16, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Dennis M, Albuquerque, NM

There has got to be something more news worthy then this.
    What next a CNN exclusive, in depth report on the bathroom habits of the President?

August 16, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Jim, Brownstown, Indiana

For Pamela in GA: Make up your mind (wide or narrow) what you are upset about, CNN's reporting or Jenna's engagement? Or are you upset that there's a hint of a good news coming out of Washington for a change that involves a republican? My guess is the later.

August 16, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Andre' Green, Dalworthington Gardens Texas

I guess now Barbara will have to either get married or see if Lindsey Lohan can give her a ride home after her Saturday night parties.

Oh wait, Noel's gotten out of the pharmaceutical business hasn't she? She should have some free time on her hands.

August 16, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Ali A. Akbar, Fort Worth, Texas

I'm happy. She's a beautiful lady.

August 16, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. dd

Frank from NJ....you rock.

I'd hate to see the spawn of this couple.....
    It's first words.."Hee hee, I'm the decider!"

August 16, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Steve, Houston, TX

It's good that the president gets to enjoy the news of his daughter's engagement, too bad the thousands of parents whose sons and daughters he has already sent to die and those who will continue to die in his senseless war cannot enjoy the same feelings. Him and his entire family will forever be stained with the blood he has pointlessly shed in Iraq. God bless and protect our troops.

August 16, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. Tom - Dedham, Mass

You liberals are pathetic, this is simply a blurb about the 1st daughter getting married and nothing else.

You bring up one time where she had a few brews and got buzzed and that was a big deal, Gores son got CAUGHT WITH DRUGS, SPEEDING etc, etc and many on the other side of the aisle like myself tried to take the "high road" (No pun intended) and wish him a speedy recovery and the desire to see him get help. Pathetic.

If this was Chelsea Clinton I would write just what I wrote about Jenna.

Good luck to them both.

Good grief to you losers that can't say anything nice.

Is that part of your so enlightened, progressive and we are smarter than everyone thinking? Again, pathetic.

August 16, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

Congrats to Jenna, I hope her and her intended live a happy long life together.

August 16, 2007 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I'd want to change my name too!

August 16, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Alyson

Bush's spawn mating with Rove's minion ... oh, the horror.

August 16, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. Ben, Ruston, La.

Good for her and I wish her well. I fail to see how this is going to help in raising the President's ratings by
    making this Breaking News. People get engaged everyday and there is a section of the newspapers for these type of announcements. Breaking News is the latest on the Mine rescue efforts. I don't see anything on that.

August 16, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. Alyson Fayetteville, Arkansas

Bush's spawn mating with Rove's minion... oh, the horror.

August 16, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Max, Las Vegas NV

I'd just like to point out that you don't have to be a liberal to think this is a bit of a ridiculous news piece in this particular forum. I'm as conservative as one can get, and I too was annoyed by it...so much so that I took a moment to comment not only on the story but on the comments themselves 🙂 It does make it look as though the White House is desperate for good press...just wait for the report on how we're doing in Iraq, guys!!

August 16, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Steve, Phoenix, Arizona

Let's see:

Hundred dead in Peruvian earthquake.

Thousands dead in Asian flooding.

Miners still trapped.

Inadequate bridges all over America.

Death toll could reach 500 in recent bombings in Iraq.

Major offensive in Afghanistan against the Taliban.

Now let's see: If perpetual party girl Jenna, who has had her stomach pumped and has entered rehab to curb her reckless drug and alcohol abuse did ANYTHING charitable to help the flood/earthquake victims, THEN I could possibly care about this story.

She is a spoiled, irresponsible brat who has millions, doesn't have to worry about health care or where to buy her prescription drugs.

I guess I am tuning in to BBC World News from now on. At least they tell me stuff that MATTERS!!!!!!

August 16, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. Barabas, Hot City, TX

Gee, Steve from Phoenix....no wonder there are always terrible, bad stories on the news sensationalized to the point of being nauseating. It's because of people like you who only want to see the bad stuff. I get stuck behind you on the freeway everyday while you slow down to stare at the car wreck in the other lane. Why not some happy, light-hearted news for once?

This is why news stations sit around and hope for a school bus full of kids to crash into an old folks home full of nuns. Bad news brings ratings because people like you can't get enough of it. Just look at your examples of all the stories that CAA SHOULD have on the front page. Ugh.

August 16, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. Alex Lotorto, Milford PA

I can't help but think of Wedding Crashers and Christopher Walken...

James Carville definitely won't make a cameo at this big shot GOP matrimony.

Anyone want to be my Owen Wilson?

There's one more twin left...

I only date progressives, but a wedding reception doesn't count...especially if we get our story straight...

I'll be an Iraq war vet campaigning for Mitt Romney!

What's your story?

August 16, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Steve H.

To Barbas from Hot City, TX:

You bet I slow down and look at car wrecks. I AM A PARAMEDIC!!! I save the lives of people like you who like only fluff in the news.

I am only saying, please tell me something on the news (i.e. bad infrastructure in America) and affects ALL OF US.

Yes, I may even slow down for you.

August 16, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Casi, Salem, Connecticut

Congratulations to the two of them. However why is this breaking news?

August 16, 2007 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  20. John D, Silver Spring, MD

Have we, as a country, become so cynical and politically divided that we can't even take a break from our differences to just be happy for a couple planning to celebrate upcoming nuptials. You all should be ashamed. I, for one, wish them all the best.

August 16, 2007 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  21. Tracy, Chicago, IL

Wow, a few people compared a marriage announcement to be of the same importance as someone's son being deplored to Irag. If a “liberal” had made these kinds of comparisons the right wing folks would have jumped all over them. Well anyhooo, I wish them well and hopefully their children won’t take after their dad or grandfather’s side of the family

August 16, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. Myron, Honolulu, HI

🙂 Is that spelled HAGGARD BUSH? 🙂

Sounds like it should be on Jay Leno’s News Clips.

Sounds like HAGGARD BUSH, spelled Hagar Bush, close enough for a dyslectic.

August 16, 2007 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  23. C.N. -Lowell, In.

Why would anyone not want to wish Jenna n' Henry well. What does it say about a person who spews hatred at someone who hasn't done anything to hurt or harm you. What does it say that you actually have disdain for someone who is simply announcing they're getting married.

Congratulations, Jenna and Henry !

August 16, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  24. Juanita Harris, Antioch, California

You "compassionate" libs are so miserable. Jenna and her fiance have their free agency as to what they will do with their lives, and I'm sure it won't be writing hateful messages on CNN. Guess what? They are not puppets of their fathers, and have nothing to do with her father's decision to go to war with Iraq, which I agree with, incidentally, and by the way and so did Bill Clinton, Hillary, Kerry, Pelosi, Harry Reid, etc., etc., and by the way all these same democrats stated that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, even while Bill Clinton was President. Didn't you know that??? Well check it out on the Internet for the dates, times and places they said it.
    Search "Democrats WMD's Dates"

And try to stop acting like idiots.

August 16, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |