August 16th, 2007

Thompson: I don't think I'm late to the race

Thompson will visit Iowa on Friday.

(CNN) – Likely Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson says September 5th is “in the neighborhood” for the announcement of his official bid, and says he doesn’t believe he’s too late to the dance.

Thompson told a Nashville radio station Wednesday, “I can't give you a particular date, but sounds like you're in the neighborhood." On “The Steve Gill show on WLAC Radio, Thompson said, “I'm taking the time that I've got allotted to me to get my team together, to get my act together.’

Despite the potential for the primary race being almost over before it starts, with South Carolina’s GOP pushing its primary date forward, Thompson said September is not too late to enter the field.

“People who write about those sorts of things love it and promote it, and say that’s the new rule," he told the show, “It gives us something to sell newspapers about, so that’s been the deal. I just don’t buy into it. I’m the one taking the chance, if it’s a chance.”

Thompson, who makes his first trip to Iowa Friday, said, “Here you are earlier than a normal candidacy's declared with all the means of communications we have these days – the internet to the earned media to all the cable networks - to get your message out. And still people say it’s got to be earlier instead of later.”

The former Tennessee Senator said he will bring his wife, Jeri, and children with him on the visit to the Iowa state fairgrounds in Des Moines.

–CNN's Steve Brusk

Listen to the entire interview provided courtesy of "The Steve Gill Show"/Newsradio 1510 WLAC

Filed under: Fred Thompson
  1. xtina - chicago IL

Let the games begin !

August 15, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  2. MG - Seattle, WA

I would never vote for a candidate who enters the race 4 months late because he is too scared to stand up and face the other candidates. It doesn't matter anyway, America doesn't want another phony in the Oval Office. Go back to "Law and Order" Mr. Thompson. You're just wasting your time and money.

August 15, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Dan, Yuma, AZ

OK, Mr. Thompson...get in the game or get out. I'm tired of waiting to hear from you. I'm Republican, but if you become the GOP nominee, I may sit out the election just because of you dragging your feet. I'm leaning towards Romney or Huckabee at this point anyways, and I'd like to hear more about you and your views, but your fence-sitting is getting on my nerves!

August 15, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. David, Salinas, CA

The problem with Fred Thompson isn’t that he hasn’t declared his candidacy. That’s probably a good strategy since it keep the press from focusing on his questionable clientele as a lobbyist or his total lack of accomplishments as a Senator.

August 15, 2007 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton, FL

Thompson, the ship sailed long ago. You are already extremely late to the party. Better luck next time. Romney's flip flops have already stolen your base supporters.

August 15, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  6. Penna.

Don't bother Fred.

The trophy wife will never fly! Never!

August 15, 2007 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  7. Jeff Richards, Seattle Washington

Why would we want Hollywood in the White House? Wake Up people! Lets, see umm. Critical time in our nations future... oh lets let hollywood flip flopping cradlerobber trophy wife man run this country. Oh yeah. Thats right. Games. I guess if you call the leader of the free world a game with the game pieces being Billions of human kind.

August 15, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. cliff jones, honolulu hi

I doubt if Fred has the energy to take care of that trophy wife's needs plus run for office. You think he looks old now! Whew boy; just give it a couple months.

August 15, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  9. Eric Johnson

He's just a stuffed shirt.

August 15, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Freddy boy had better wise up. When the media looks into his past personal life and his past political career...you have another Bush. Lazy...incompetent...Lazy.....secretive....lazy....did I mention lazy???

Freddy boy is collecting money to keep for a rainy day.

Just what we need...another lazy bum in the White House

Keith Guice
    Franklin, Tn

August 15, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. John ,Long island, NY

This man is the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Americans don't need another southerner, who is all talk and no action.

He was a horrible senator, and a horrible actor, and that qualifies you as president.

August 15, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. Brad Long, Madison, Wis.

I have to sat that Thompson is my only fear for the Democrat's seat in the white house. With Guiliani sliding like he's seemed to I feel that Thompson will be the front runner in the GOP shortly and ultimately the presidential contender.

August 16, 2007 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  13. J.C., Los Angeles, CA

Great Story! George Bush's brain (Karl Rove) analyzing statistics...oh, wait, isn't he the one with lowest Presidental ratings ever? Don't know who I'm voting for yet.

August 16, 2007 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  14. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Fred who??

August 16, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  15. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Give it up, brother.

NO ONE cares.

August 16, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  16. jms, Dyer, Tn

We really need a lobyist for president.Amazingly that could be worse than Bush.

August 16, 2007 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  17. Lizabeth, Dallas TX

Freddie– you either need to belly up to the bar or go away. To keep "hinting" you might enter the race but never really doing it just tells me you're afraid to have to face up to the scrutiny of the other candidates. By staying on the edge, you don't have to participate in the debates or answer the hard questions. Sounds pretty chicken to me. Either fish or cut bait, honey. You're looking like a wimp the way you're handling it now.

August 16, 2007 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  18. Mark - Princeton, NJ

This guy is too late to the show. I used to be enthusiastic about his candidacy, but now that I have seen that he does not really want to campaign and has not really specified his policy stances, I have switched to Mitt Romney. Mitt, I believe, is most qualified to be president and I just don't see how Fred is superior to him.

August 16, 2007 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  19. Susan, Syracuse

I'm a Republican and I can't stand this guy. He did nothing as a Senator and can't even make a decision on his status. Remember a few months ago when he was supposed to announce on July 4th? Sounds like this guy is too indecisive.

August 16, 2007 06:26 am at 6:26 am |
  20. Ali A. Akbar, Fort Worth, Texas

I'm looking forward to seeing the dynamic Fred Thompson adds to the race.

August 16, 2007 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  21. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

This old windbag better announce soon before he expires.

August 16, 2007 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  22. Dr Atomic, Ga

He's a real conservative all right . . . slow to move. Will he ever decide if he's actually a candidate? Would he be this slow as President? Come on, he's a tv actor? Hire him to play the president in a movie or something.

August 16, 2007 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. Jim Brady,Avon Lake,Ohio

I have a question,where was Fred Thompson during the decade long Vietnam war,I know where I was in the US Army and I am 68 years old.I suspect that Mr. Thompson is a chicken hawk rather than a true patroit.

August 16, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. Bill, Alabama

Considering the fact that he defended an abortion clinic when he was practicing law, and dumped his first wife for a "sweet young thing", he might as well not enter the race.

The far right Bible thumping Republicans will having nothing to do with such a "sinner".

August 16, 2007 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. Travis

I don't understand why anyone would support this guy...yet. Sure I like Law and Order but Arthur Branch isn't running. There never will be a "Next Reagan".

August 16, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |