August 18th, 2007

Snow to exit White House as soon as next month

Snow suggested Thursday he may not stay on for the rest of Bush's term.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Karl Rove won't be the final senior Bush aide to depart the White House before the president leaves office in January 2009.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow told conservative talk-show host Hugh Hewitt Wednesday "financial reasons" may prevent him for serving the remainder of his boss’ presidency.

"I'm not going to be able to go the distance, but that's primarily for financial reasons." Snow said. "I've told people when my money runs out, then I've got to go."

Snow refused to indicate when he thought he would likely leave, but CNN's Suzanne Malveaux reports that he could step down from his position as early as next month.

According to the Washington Post, Snow makes $168,000 as the White House spokesman.

The former Fox News anchor-turned press secretary took a month long leave of absence earlier this year after cancer was discovered on his liver.

Full story

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

"when my money runs out" – sorta like his boss's attitude with American soldiers.

August 17, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. DJ, Los Angeles

Whew....ya it's really a burden to try to survive on only 168K a year for working a couple days a week.

Why did he sign-up for the job in the first place if 168K wasn't enough $?

Now don't tell me he is going to write a book about how dysfunctional his jobs was.

August 17, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. DJ, Los Angeles

"...when the money runs out...I've got to go" ???

August 17, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Colin, Milwaukee WI

Well, good to see he didn't go the Latrell Sprewell route and say "I've got a family to feed"...though at $168,000/year (I assume), how ridiculous does it sound to say "when my money runs out, then I've got to go"? Is the administration's health care plan a reflection of health insurance in America? The benefits at the White House must be horrible if $168,000/yr is putting Snow in the poor house.

August 17, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Greg, Boise, ID

This is an interesting comment. I am not sure if it is referring to how tough it is to live off of *only* $168K a year these days, or Snow is referring to his medical costs, but either way, the complaints seem odd coming from a Bush Republican, given their stances on minimum wage, the economy, and health care.

August 17, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Patrick,Cincinnati,OH

Hmmm...

1. Proof that lying causes cancer?

2. FOX pays better to be a propaganda minister?

3. Spending too much time with the Washington DC madam?

Inquirying minds want to know.

August 17, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Jeff Fort Lauderdale FL

They all lie when they leave, Rove is gone because he totally screwed up the 2006 for the Repugs and nobody will touch him with a ten foot pole.

Snow does not look good and I have thought that since he came back I bet his cancer is not cured and he is just trying to hang on as long as he can before it becomes to obvious that he is sick... He's just a hack anyway how many press secretarys has bush put through the wood chipper? 5 ? 6 ?

August 17, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Mark Fort Lauderdale FL

I wonder if Mr. Snow realizes just how bad that sounded. The VAST majority of households in America survive on much less than that. This man would defend the republican ideal of not increasing the minimum wage. Wouldn't it be fun to see how it gets by on $5.75 per hour?

August 17, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Hey Patrick,

That was rough, man.
    Gotta get you on the peace train!

August 17, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. John St. Louis, MO

Every last one of you are a bunch of morons. Ever dealt with cancer, it is not cheap! Regardless of his salary, if he makes $168K a year, and has $200K in medical bills... I'm sure his bills pile up faster than his paychecks. Give the man a break, he is most likely dying!!!

August 17, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. TC Plainfield, IL

The Fox Noise Channel must have better benefits.

August 17, 2007 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Jennifer, Houston, TX

Jeff, FL: His cancer isn't cured. He's said so himself. So, no big coverup there, sorry.

As for the money comment – you have got to be kidding me? Can our soldiers leave the Army & come home from Iraq when their ~$15,000/yr salary runs out?

Sheesh.

August 17, 2007 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Nani, Kailua, HI

Anybody working for Bush should be updating the resume and looking hard now. At least half the employers in the U.S. have probably already ruled you out because of your poor judgement in working for W in the fist place, so finding a new job may take longer than you thought. 🙂

August 17, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  14. Matt, Paris, Illinois

Boy, he looks awful these days - but as many American know, cancer will do that to you.

Unlike Mr. Snow, who makes six figures to lie to the American public, many Americans who must face cancer do so without legitimate health insurance benefits to aid them in the high costs of treatment.

I'm sure life is rough for Tony Snow (cancer aside).

August 17, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. cliff jones, honolulu hi

The cancer must be worse than was believed. He hasn't been looking well. The Chimo treatments have probably had a lot to do with that. I wish him the best.

August 17, 2007 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Roberto Bacasong, Manila, Philippines

I guess you need to stand by your own statement. Anyway, you live in a nice country which is full of dreams. So no worries for you!

August 17, 2007 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Betty, Southlake, TX

Other than the fact the guy was associated with Fox News (an immediate negative in my book) and that he worked for George W. Bush (second strike), I do feel badly for him for his health problems. Doesn't he have insurance benefits as a White House employee though??
    Still, cancer is ugly and I wouldn't really wish it on anyone.

August 17, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. Sally T.

>>What hole in his wallet could possible cause him to burn through over 10K cash every month after taxes?

Obviously you've never had cancer. It's in his liver. He's DYING. Give the man a freakin' break!

August 17, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. John, Sheboygan, WI

Seriously everyone, he's made his own decision, why can't we just let him be without questioning his motives. Have your way with Karl Rove if you want, at least it might be said that he had influence on the administration's policies. Tony Snow was the press secretary, not an adviser, for heaven's sake. (For the record, he was also critical of the Bush administration while at his Fox job).

"Lying causes cancer"??? How heartless/ignorant can one get?

August 17, 2007 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Terry Bahadur, lenexa Kansas

Many of the comments posted are derogatory. We don't have the facts. Who knows what he really means. Who understands his financial commitments? $168.000 a year before taxes is not a fortune by any means. To be cruel to one who is recovering from cancer does not speak well of people. I wonder if he was working for a democratic president if many of the comments would be so unsavory.

August 17, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  21. Keith, Winnfield Louisiana

To John in St Louis.

Amen Brother everyone is concentrating on how much he makes and not the ordeal that he has been going through.

August 17, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

When the money runs out? You took a paycut? Good grief. I'm laughing. Before I read the article, I figured you were losing sleep because of the daily barrage of lies you have to tell in order to defend the "W" gang. Should have known.

August 17, 2007 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Best wishes to Mr. Snow. His Boss must be disappointed to have only the wifty Dana Perino to handle what will be 15 months of tough questions.

August 17, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Ray, Rochester

Well said John...

Obviously many of these lefty posters would rather John Edwards was elected...you know...the guy who made $465,000 salary with Fortress Investments and has $17 mil invested with the same company. Fortress...they're the outfit that owns two subprime/[redatory lenders that are foreclosing on Katrina victims houses. Wasn't it that clown Edwards who called such companies to task...oops...I guess he forgot who was paying him.

By the way, anyone wanna guess which company's employess have donated the most to Edwards??? Let me help you out...F-O-R-T-R-E-S-S. This guy is a total clown.

God Bless Tony Snow. Our prayers are with you as you battle cancer.

August 17, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Rich, McKinney, Texas

John,

He does not seem to give our families, troops, and jobs a break with his pro-elitist policies! Cancer is horrible, but try facing it with no insurance, no job, and your son/daughter in Iraq....It sounds a little different doesn't it...

August 17, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |