August 18th, 2007

Snow to exit White House as soon as next month

Snow suggested Thursday he may not stay on for the rest of Bush's term.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Karl Rove won't be the final senior Bush aide to depart the White House before the president leaves office in January 2009.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow told conservative talk-show host Hugh Hewitt Wednesday "financial reasons" may prevent him for serving the remainder of his boss’ presidency.

"I'm not going to be able to go the distance, but that's primarily for financial reasons." Snow said. "I've told people when my money runs out, then I've got to go."

Snow refused to indicate when he thought he would likely leave, but CNN's Suzanne Malveaux reports that he could step down from his position as early as next month.

According to the Washington Post, Snow makes $168,000 as the White House spokesman.

The former Fox News anchor-turned press secretary took a month long leave of absence earlier this year after cancer was discovered on his liver.

Full story

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Chris, FL

It's sad John, I agree.

However, the people desire to speak, so let them.

People have cancer no matter their income. Most of the posters are just saying 168K is not exactly the national mean average. I know people that have cancer who work for 5.75 an hr.

August 17, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  2. Vincent J. Petrosino

The real American public is not heartless! It does appear Mr. Snow is very ill and may very well be preparing for the inevitable! But tell the truth! Does anyone in the Bhush White House ever tell the truth? The truth will sit better with the American people than excuses about family time and finances! Mr. Snow, if you cannot get well then God bless you and help you to reach everlasting peace and tell the truth!

August 17, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Martin, Burlington, ON

I can't believe the posts I'm reading!

The man has cancer(first colon and then liver). Give the guy a break.

Put aside your partisan politics for a moment and have some sympathy for him.

August 17, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. Bill Pohnan, Streamwood, IL

Maybe we'll get luck and Dick Cheney will be the next to jump ship.

August 17, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Jeffrey Kress Old Bridge,NJ

The rats are jumping ship faster than anyone can count.The "GOOD SHIP GEORGE W." has been taking water for so long it's amazing they didn't leave a long time ago.
    Only three more to go,Rice,Cheney and Captain Queeg himself.It sure would have been better to set THOSE three adrift in the quicksand of Iraq a very long time ago.
    Unemployment has jumped two whole percentage points on these defections from the Bush administration alone!
    It's a shame that Tony Snow will have to get by on unemployment benefits.Maybe they could find themselves a nice FEMA trailer!

August 17, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. Kurt (Drumheller, AB CANADA)

Every last one of you are a bunch of morons. Ever dealt with cancer, it is not cheap! Regardless of his salary, if he makes $168K a year, and has $200K in medical bills… I'm sure his bills pile up faster than his paychecks. Give the man a break, he is most likely dying!!!

Posted By John St. Louis, MO : August 17, 2007 4:30 pm

You're right, medical bills are not cheap in the United States. It's too bad his party and his president oppose healthcare reform that would help not only him pay his medical bills, but also the majority of the American public who don't make $168,000.00 a year.

August 17, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Sean, Torrington CT

He went from being a shill paid for by News Corp. to a shill being paid for by my tax dollars.

Good riddance to a man who's job has been to lie to the American people about a pathetic failure of an Administration.

August 17, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. Maria, SF CA

Tony Snow has a health insurance plan that 45 million uninsured Americans can only dream about. He gets paid by taxpayers to stand up there to dodge and spin BS everyday so sorry, I'm not too sympathetic that 168K isn't working out well enough to stay on as the face of Propaganda for Bush's sinking ship.

August 17, 2007 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. Erik, Austin TX

I think the problem a lot of people have is that this guy will complain that he doesn't make enough money to pay his medical bills while telling everyone that our health care system is just peachy and national health care is unnecessary.

If his boss wasn't so busy pandering to the big health insurance companies, he might have an easier time dealing with his cancer from a financial perspective at least.

August 17, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. dilmont

Meanwhile, all the rest of us would love to try to live on "only" $168,000 a year. Personally, I think he' can't take the non-stop obviouslying he's required to do anymore. He hasn't even been trying as hard to sell it lately and it shows.

August 17, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. Trenton, Los Angeles, California

Good Boy Tony..Don't go down in history as having supported aided or abbeded the worst american traitors in history... Bush & Cheney co-sponsored,endorsed 911 as pre meditated misguided win-win justification for Cheneys Lifelong crusade for a completely autonomous executive branch with no checks and balances for the "public good" fueld by fear, merged with unfinished Bush family "Sadam" issues along with mutual monetary perks for post war oil and infrastructure reconstruction trickle-down benefits. What?? They wouldn't?!
    Oh really? Yes Really.. They forgot just one thing. An exit strategy from an eternal islamic retaliation reflex.
    There is none. May God help us all.

August 17, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I think the cancer may have spread to his brain?

August 17, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  13. Michele TN

it is evident that the people on theis board are not in the health care business. Lucky for us!! You all make me sick. First I do my duty to serve in the army and hear stupid poltician both republicans and dems say they know whats best and now we have idiots on this board putting down a man for dying with more money then them. To make matters worse we have foriegners weighting in on it as well. What next illegals having their say about him dieing too. Luckly for my patients they get compassionate caring nurses like myself and others on their last days instead of you people. You all should be ashamed. Is this how you want your children to react.

August 17, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  14. Heath Toledo, OH

Perhaps he should be paid $5 for each lie to subsidize his income.

August 17, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  15. Nancy Edwards , Pinellas Park , FL

Sorry he is sick but doesn't he recieve full medical from the job? Maybe no one will discriminate against him since he is ill.

As far as the rest of them leaving before Labor Day.... don't count on it........ they like the check perks and benefits.

Anyone else think it's funny they all squeal on each other ?????? LOL

August 17, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  16. Christy Moore, College Grove, TN

I was born and raised in TN., and, I must say, I am ashamed of Fred Thompson! He doesn't have a clue how to run this country, or anything else! He is an actor, plain and simple. You don't need a PH.D. to act; you "pretend" to be someone else. Fred has mastered that, but, it takes much more to run a country! Fred, step aside! Find another television show to "pretend" in, our country needs someone who is serious and REAL now...not YOU! PLEASE! Go away! It scares me that many people will vote for you, simply because they like your character on television! Yes, that is what most voting Americans have come to, and it's scary. You would work to overturn Roe V Wade????? What the hell are you thinking!???? OMG! I will do everything in my power to spread the word of what an idiot you are! Please, go back to acting!

August 17, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  17. Wallace, Chicago IL

Guys,

Hold on though. I'm not a Tony Snow fan, but frankly 168k isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Especially if you're talking about his job description.

This guy has to "stay on script" at all times even if he doesn't believe a word that comes out of his own mouth.

168k to deal with all of the nonsense this administration has generated? I wish him the best in his next career. And again, I'm not even a Tony Snow or Bush administration fan.

I wish you the best Tony! Good luck.

August 17, 2007 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. Jim, Gloucester MA

Me a tv star. Me turn clock back. Please, retire and move to Florida...we don't need leaders like you any longer.

August 17, 2007 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  19. B C Katy Texas

Put Snow right up there with Kay Bailey Huntinson of TX ( need I add the R?). Saying today she needed to consider leaving public service as she needed more money. Wow I' like to make 175K Be married to a multimillionaire and have life time pension and insurance benefits. Somehow I think I could "scrape by". Just like the R presidential canidates proposing 15K tax credits so the poor can go buy health insurance in the open market. OK you R morons people that are poor can't make use of a 15K TAX credit. They don't pay anything like that much tax so what good would the credit do? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

August 18, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  20. Chip Celina OHr

Most on here show a total lack of class. Kick a guy while he's down because he has a different view than you. Someone even posted something about his "pro-elititst policies", NEWS_FLASH, the press secretary doesn't make policy.

If you saw somebody injured, would you check their voter registration card before offering help?

Pathetic.

Chip

August 18, 2007 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  21. cathy wiley

I'll take your job and the money that comes with it. And you live on what we make between the two of us which is 28,000. Does that sound good to you.

August 18, 2007 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  22. Terry, Keller TX

Hey, Morons... Snow took a pay cut from a couple of million/year to take the job. He wasnt living high on the hog while Press Sec'y. Once you make that much, you obviously would have to subsidize yourself to take a 90% drop in income. Further, $168k in the sticks may be good money, but in Washington, its aint even middle class. Good grief... enter the real world, will ya...

August 18, 2007 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  23. We must win in 08

All this talk about Morons and living in the real world...sounds like to me people who do not actually live in the real world of minimum wage, no insurance, having your child sent to a war, and you tax dollars rebuilding Iraq while our country crumbles! We call that world the Republican Effect on the United States of America...It happens every time these crooks get in there...

August 18, 2007 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  24. KD, Dallas, TX

If that's the arguement ...why would anyone that makes a couple of million a year take such a huge paycut in the first place. I don't buy that. Also, if we are arguing about medical bills causing huge financial difficulties with a guy making that kind of money, then our system is obviously broken. That is the smallest percentage of the population making that kind of money with benefits that support them. The typical American can in no way survive cancer given our present health care fiasco. And yet, the Bush government and many Republicans do not support government run health care, it would take too much away from the wealthy upper class group that is reflective of this news article in the first place. Seems like we are running to catch our tails here.

August 18, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  25. E Martin

My wife and I really like Tony Snow.
    He is a great guy.
    We pray for him with his health concerns,most of all.
    Tell him to
    Be Well,Live Long and Be Strong.
    Send Him our Best.