August 18th, 2007

Snow to exit White House as soon as next month

Snow suggested Thursday he may not stay on for the rest of Bush's term.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Karl Rove won't be the final senior Bush aide to depart the White House before the president leaves office in January 2009.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow told conservative talk-show host Hugh Hewitt Wednesday "financial reasons" may prevent him for serving the remainder of his boss’ presidency.

"I'm not going to be able to go the distance, but that's primarily for financial reasons." Snow said. "I've told people when my money runs out, then I've got to go."

Snow refused to indicate when he thought he would likely leave, but CNN's Suzanne Malveaux reports that he could step down from his position as early as next month.

According to the Washington Post, Snow makes $168,000 as the White House spokesman.

The former Fox News anchor-turned press secretary took a month long leave of absence earlier this year after cancer was discovered on his liver.

Full story

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Christian, Palmetto FL

If medical costs are really outweighing that large of a salary, then he'd better jump on the universal healthcare bandwagon right now.

Considering that most people with cancer have to deal with it on a fraction of that money.

God bless him, though; I hope he doesn't die or suffer.

August 18, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. Justin, Lexington Ky

To everyone who speaks of Tony Snow and his cancer in such a negative way, may God have mercy on your souls. It is a shame that there's such hatred towards a man who's only job is to update the American people on the presidents beliefs and daily routines.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, that the hate in your heart is eased by the power of God.

August 18, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Stephanie Tucson, AZ

Finally someone leaving the Bush administration for a reason other than "I want to spend more time with my family".

August 18, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. JD, Prescott, AZ

168K is not much when you have to provide for your wife and children when you are no longer living. But maybe you Libs can't project out beyond living for yourself. You Libs need to get a heart.

August 18, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. David, Salinas, CA

I don’t like the policies of the Bush administration. I do think that Tony Snow is very good at his job. His decision to seek higher-paying employment is entirely his business and none of mine. I wish him nothing but success in coping with his illness.

But I can’t help but make the comparison to my own situation. I make around $30k in my two part-time jobs. I have no health insurance. I have kidney stones which I can’t afford to have removed. Even if I get insurance, the HMOs will say I have a “pre-existing condition. I’m in constant pain, as are many of the other 40 million uninsured Americans, many of whom are in far worse shape than I am.

We need universal coverage in this country. Playing to people’s fear by labeling it “socialism” or “big government” ignores the fact that it works quite well it in other capitalist industrialized nations. We need to stop posturing and take care of our people.

I hope for the best for Tony Snow and all other Americans fighting disease.

August 18, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Myron, Honolulu, HI

People with Cancer quickly develop a new view on life and the rest of their life. He should at least said the usual "I want to spend more time with my family" instead of "I need more money!"

August 18, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. HAWK, TEXAS

GEE, HE ONLY MAKES $160.000 MORE THAN I DO, POOR FELLOW.

August 18, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. Shana, Babylon, NY

I do empathize with Tony Snow. His prognosis is shaky at best. I do not philosophically endorse his Boss's policies at all, but he is doing his job as the mouthpiece for him.
    When he accepted the position of Press Sec'y, surely he was fuly aware of salary. In no way can they pay him as well as the Fox News Network. I'm sure his health benefits are far superior than our average insured citizen.
    I wish him the best....he is doing what he feels is best for him and his family's future.

August 18, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Steven in Charleston, SC

Look, I hold no ill will towards Tony Snow, and wish him well as he battles cancer.

But.....the fact that he doesn't consider it just a bit callous to plead poverty at $168K a year and reference his elevated medical bills when most Americans don't make anywhere near that much money and tens of millions don't have any health insurance at all just illuminates how out of touch this ENTIRE administration is with the American people.

August 18, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. grace Jacksonville, FL

Best of Luck!!!

August 18, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Sybil Conrad

You know when the postmortem begins everybody is trying to run from a job not well done. Having experts on to talk about how this accident shouldn't have happen is the groundwork for the various suits that are sure to come forth. Those miners could be alive down there and nobody has the guts to suggest this rescue operation has gone sideways. You say, "It's over." Then we must suppose it is. You don't say, "Look, we are the 4th estate and you quit trying too early."

Find some more experts to make you feel better. You will forget you came up short reporting what the story really is: That everybody started to run for cover when the job got too tough.

August 18, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. rob, NY

I wish Tony Snow no ill will, and most of those posting here – with some obvious exceptions – would not wish cancer on their worst enemy. That said...

Tony Snow opened himself up to a great deal of (well-deserved) criticism by stating that his reason/timing for leaving his position was when "the money runs out..." Not only does he make substantially more than the majority of Americans, he also, as a White House staffer (like members of Congress), has access to the best health care and benefits package in this country. It is the height of hypocrisy to oppose a minimum wage that would actually put a family of four above the poverty level, to oppose increasing health insurance coverage for millions of uninsured children, to attack proponents of those programs, and then complain about the inadequacy of a salary that outstrips that of three-fourths of wage earners.

He's going to have a tough time spinning this one in a positive manner without falling back on the ever-popular technique of blaming the "liberal" media.

I may oppose that which Tony Snow represents (Bush and his policies), but I will keep him and his young family in my thoughts and prayers.

August 18, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. Glen, Seattle, WA

UNREAL! You talk this way – in PUBLIC – about a man who is probably on his death bed. You people have no sympathy. I hope God curses you and your family and when you have a fatal illness may you hear people wish you dead and have them say terrible things to the world about you – that your grieving family can see. DROP your POLITICAL views – this is a HUMANBEING, a MAN with a family, who is facing a very scary future and many of you are probably God fearing people – EVIL – that's what I see on these message boards – PURE EVIL.

Get a GRIP – drop the DEM. VS. REPUB. WAR – how about acting like good AMERICANS. Does the LEFT hate the RIGHT so much that they are HAPPY when someone is dying?

August 18, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I don't believe he leaves WH for more money, it is some fishy. Regardless what is the reason, his ability couldn't handle to cover Bush's mess.
    I think he is the worst Press Secretary for our Country. Don't worry Bush will find another incapable guy for Snow.

August 18, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. david -lake barrington , IL

I agree with those who have said, don't wish bad things upon another. Things have a way of evening out.

August 18, 2007 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. Ron Nebraska

Really I think the negative comments here are more indicative of just what a lousy job Bush/Rove/Cheney have done and how their special brand of incompetence has sickened and divided all of America.

August 18, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  17. Adrian San Diego, CA

Sadly, one can see how bad he looks since he's been diagnosed with cancer. I don't believe he's leaving because of money; I think the cancer treatment is taking a toll on him. I'm a liberal, but I wish him the best.

August 18, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  18. evah - rockland, TX

Yes Glen , the left hate everyone, but they have a self-loathing too, and they hate themselves the most.

August 18, 2007 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  19. Fran Durham, NC

To Ray in Rochester

This is a forum to add comments about Tony Snow's departure, not to attack a political candidate (John Edwards). Anyone that posts negative comments about Mr. Snow's health (whether Dem or Rep) doesn't need to be here. This is not about candidates. It is about a very physically ill man and I do have much empathy for him and feel his departure is really about his health and yes, it does cost lots of money when you have a terminal illness.

August 19, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Margie, Milwaukee WI

Quite an interesting batch of comments here!

I must admit, when I first saw the announcement on the CNN banner, I thought, Oh this cancer has taken it's toll. He must not be able to handle the hours anymore. Poor guy.

When I heard the real reason, I thought, You MUST be kidding! It was kind of hard to get my head around.

Whatever his reasons, they're HIS reasons. Not ours to judge. I sure hope all the passion that's reflected in the comments listed here shows up at the voting booth next election!

August 19, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Bob, Orlando, FL

Yes, the man has been through a lot (health wise), but, c'mon! $168k is not enough?? I understand he must have medical expenses up the wazoo, but how many millions of Americans have cancer and make much, much less than Snow.

I wish him the best but...THAT'S a hard one to explain.

August 19, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. rao

It is high time someone in authority like Mr.Tony Snow realised about the ravages of serious medical conditions be it a chronic ones like diabetes that leads to slow death or more sinister ones like cancers. With our current health care system, all legal americans' lives hang by a mere fragile thread. We are all only one major medical condition away from a total family disaster and being on the streets, thanks to the mighty greed of the system and the system administrators.This CANNOT last and no society can endure this extent of economic disparity . This the true definition of true American nightmare. Something has got to be done and done quickly before more mainstream middle- class americans join ranks of homeless. Mind you this is coming from a member of the medical profession.
    There may be more to Mr.Snow's story than we know.I wish him luck.

August 19, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. Yvan,Indio,CA

Won't miss that Guy. it is funny to listen to me try justify the lies of his bosses.

August 20, 2007 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  24. John, Long Island - New York

Are u guyz kidding me? Stop being so sarcastic and all about such issues!! Cuz that's why u guyz get the same thing back from the politicians in the first place... But in any case it's really pathetic how u guyz are attempting to drive Snow to the corner for being richer than the lots of u – and having issues w/ only receiving 168k or so per month. I mean ppl live on different standards... If u guyz worked as hard as him – u wouldn't be so different -_-. Do u guyz not realize the financial sacrifice he made to passionately follow a course of aiding a leader and an administration?? U guyz are obviously envying him for how rich he is; and just putting more blame on an innocent passionate man cuz u guy still can't take the fact that U left a man like Bush in power for like 7 years..

August 20, 2007 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  25. Jack's Hand, Orlando, FL

First, let me say I have no regard for Bush or his administration. However, maybe, just maybe, Snow doesn't want to become a public spectacle as the chemo takes a toll on his appearance.

August 20, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |