August 18th, 2007

Thompson: Roe 'bad law and bad medicine'

Watch CNN's John King interview Fred Thompson.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Likely Republican White House hopeful Fred Thompson told CNN Friday that he would work to overturn Roe v. Wade if elected president, and would push for a constitutional amendment that protects states from being forced to honor gay marriages performed in other states.

“I don’t think that one state ought to be able to pass a law requiring gay marriage or allowing gay marriage and have another state be required to follow along,” Thompson told CNN’s John King in an interview Friday.

Thompson added that the U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion “was bad law and bad medicine.”

As for when he will jump into the race, the former Tennessee senator said "shortly."

“We are going to be getting in if we get in, and of course, we are in the testing the waters phase,” he said. “We’re going to be making a statement shortly that will cure all of that. But yeah, we’ll be in traditionally when people get in this race."

Thompson also said he believed he could enter the presidential race next month and still win the Iowa caucuses.

On the issue of Iraq, Thompson refused to provide a timeline for how much longer US forces would remain in the country under his administration, but said, “We need to make every effort to make sure that we don’t get run out of there with our tail between our legs before we’ve done the job of securing that place.”

Asked about critics who call him “too lazy” to put in the long hours necessary to run for president, Thompson said: “If I have critics in Washington it's not going to come as a surprise to me. I'll have more by the end of this campaign,” adding, “The proof’s in the pudding. I think that’s curable.”

- CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: Fred Thompson
  1. A WOMAN, ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN

FRED THOMPSON WOULD BE BAD MEDICINE FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. END OF STORY!

August 17, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. LOL

I love how the feminist crazies on this board don't want men to have a say in abortion, yet they want them to pay for it out of their taxes, such as through welfare or the prison system. Maybe you should make people stop paying for it before you spout off about rights.

August 17, 2007 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  3. KJ

Lance from Monrovia, what kids are you going to protect? They're all being aborted as we speak.

August 17, 2007 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Raymond Nicholson

It is about time we have real person in this race that is not looking to please groups of anykind, but that has the back bone to stand what is moral in this country and not some I need your vote trying put on an act.

August 17, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. LLL

Being black is not a choice. Being gay is a choice.

August 17, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. S Bengtson, Phoenix AZ

We are trying to get ride of the stuffy fat old white guys not bring in more. This is nothing to even blink at this guy is a TV joke. This is just a publicity Stunt by the republicans to try and
    re-gain some ground. He is easily manipulated, as we have seen he keep’s changing his mind on abortion. We need some one with knew and intelligent Ideas not another bush.

August 17, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. Ben, Fairfax, VA

Fred Thompson just lost my vote. I am a small-government pro-gun libertarian but I am also pro-choice and gay-friendly (not gay myself though). I'll probably never find somebody I agree with on everything.

August 17, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. Tom

August 17, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Dawgz

Since I as a taxpayer am forced to pay for abortions for poor women, women in prison, and to publicly subsidize Planned Parenthood, I have every right to want to overturn Roe v. Wade. I am voting for Fred.

August 17, 2007 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. Robert Salm, Chicago

I never knew Fred Thompson had such a mean streak and despicable nature in him. He seemed like a man with some intelligence, but he has doomed himself from getting any votes except the hard-core, nut wing evangelicals.

August 17, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. Dan Ferrisi, Garden City, NY

Being opposed to gay marriage, as far as I'm concerned, is reveling in shameless homophobia. As many progressives repeatedly have observed, there is not a single logical, rational, reasonable argument for opposing gay marriage. The only arguments ever presented are derived from faith-based religions, which, in my opinion, themselves are outmoded. Those feeble arguments, even if accepted, should not speak to public policy, since this country is avowedly secular–not Christian. Luckily for atheists such as I, theocrats of every stripe cannot legally impose their moral opinions on me.

Of course gay marriage should be legal; it's fundamentally the same as interracial marriage and regular straight marriage. And, even if you morally disapprove of homosexuality (which, itself, would be irrational), why is anybody else's sex life your business?

Keep your shudders closed and leave the neighbors alone!

August 17, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. Russ, Los Angeles, California

Wow, who ever thought that this guy was evil too. This country has so much to learn, and I doubt it'll ever learn it because to many Americans are just too dumb.

August 17, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  13. VanReuter NY NY

"What will Thompson do when Ginsburg, Breyer, Stevens, Souter and Kennedy declare interspecies "marriage", bestiality and same-sex "marriage" to be "fundamental constitutional rights"?
    Posted By Tom : August 17, 2007 7:25 pm"

Don't worry; If you keep your tin-foil hat on, the aliens won't be able to take your brain. Zyprexa, by the way is a very effective medication.

Van

August 17, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  14. Paul, NYC, NY

First of all, I would like Thompson to formally enter the race. Get in or stay out and make a decision. Once you are in, I hope you do end up like the other Thompson: off the race very quickly.

On the substantive issues, why do people care so much about gays getting married. Let them if they want. Who care s who marries whom?

On the abortion question. Nobody likes abortion. Least of all the women who carry them out. It is a tragic experience for all involved. But making it illegal will not change anything? What are you planning Tom to send women to jail? Sure that will make things better.

August 17, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. EM, Greensboro, NC

Fred is right. Go Fred Go.

August 17, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. Anytown, Iowa

What about the cancer thing? This isn't a part-time job. Aren't you being just a little selfish and irresponsible, Fred?

August 17, 2007 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. Blair Daverman, Colorado Springs, CO

I will no longer watch "Law and Order" with Fred Thompson in the cast. He is an ignorant man who clearly doesn't respect diversity or human rights. Woman and gay people in this country will be at risk if he is elected president. He makes me sick.

August 17, 2007 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. Neal C. Austin Texas

Come on in Fred! We need another landslide like Goldwater/Johnson. The more tough right wing garbage talk the bigger the gap will be.

August 17, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  19. l steel, providence, ri

Thompson better try to keep the day job.
    He lost 60% of the vote expressing his vision of the future.

August 17, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. Paul Taylor, San Rafael, CA

Yes I'm scared. There are plenty of hateful, anti-women's rights, gay hating people that will march their way to the polls and vote for a guy like this. That's just what this country needs, someone who will split and polarize the people more. Isn't there a candidate who can actually heal the country and get things moving in the positive direction? It's all hate, hate, hate. Yes, unfortunately religion teaches more hatred than anything else.
    America, love it or change it.

August 17, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. dg, la, ca

"I am tired of gays pushing their agenda down my throat and that of my children in the name of "tolerance." Tolerance is nothing more than a handy way of silencing those who disagree.

Posted By KUI : August 17, 2007 4:42 pm"

Would someone please tell me what the "gay agenda" is? I'm a gay man, and I don't even know. And by the way, please stop taking Karl Rove's talking points as the word of God. Just stop for a minute and think.

August 17, 2007 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  22. Mike, Washington, DC

What a misleading headline. Overturning Roe v. Wade would not ban abortion. It would simply return the decision about the legality of abortion to the state legislatures, where it belongs.

August 17, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. bill, baltimore, md

he just lost my vote

August 17, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Steve - Peoria, IL

Right-to-life advocates and those in favor of abortion are never going to agree; so why attack each other?

Why not say what it is about abortion that you think is proper and good, for the other side, what you think about abortion that is evil and bad.

August 17, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  25. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

I am a Republican and consider myself conservative, but I would not vote for Fred if he is the nominee – he scares me. I would just have to skip casting a vote in 2008.

August 17, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |